Bus Plunges Off 'World'S Most Dangerous Road' In Western Bolivia, Killing 18

News_Editor

Bus plunges off 'world's most dangerous road' in western Bolivia, killing 18 < br />

2012-06-10 06:23:02 GMT+7 (ICT)

LA PAZ, BOLIVIA (BNO NEWS) -- A passenger bus carrying mostly students fell off a narrow mountain road in western Bolivia on Thursday, killing eighteen people and injuring many more, local authorities said on Saturday. The road is often referred to as the world's most dangerous.

The accident happened at around 3:30 p.m. local time on Thursday in La Paz province on the North Yungas Road, which is better known as the 'Highway of Death'. The bus was traveling from the town of Irupana to the capital La Paz to participate in an inter-school sporting event.

A list of casualties released on Saturday showed eighteen people were killed, including 25-year-old bus driver Miguel Aliaga, 24-year-old support bus driver Cruz Aliaga Benique and at least four teenagers. Another 33 people aged between 2 and 51 were injured, some critically.

Police said the accident happened on a narrow dirt road when the passenger bus, which was operated by Trans Arenas and was also carrying regular passengers, suddenly tried to avoid an oncoming taxi. "A taxi came in front of us and our bus gave way, but it seems it went too far to the edge and fell," one of the injured victims told local media.

Photos and videos from the scene showed most of the vehicle, which fell some 150 meters (490 feet), was destroyed and several bodies could be seen around the wreckage. Officials said many of the passengers were ejected from the vehicle while others were crushed by the bus, which was carrying around 60 people.

The North Yungas Road, more than 40 miles (65 kilometers) long, is infamously known as one of the most dangerous roads in the world due to its narrow dirt roads. The road, which is a major route for trucks and buses, is just three meters (9.8 feet) wide in many places. Many vehicles fall off the edge when attempting to overtake oncoming vehicles.

According to official figures, at least 42 people were killed on the road in 2011, but it is believed the actual figure is in the hundreds. Emergency services do usually not respond to accidents along the road unless it involves many casualties, and even then they are slow to respond as mobile phones do not work in the area.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-06-10

Yet, in 2005 I believe, a new paved route opened to replace this road. Travel is much faster on the new route, and the old 'road of death' has become mainly an 'adventure' travel route, mostly catering to mountain bikers starting at the top and descending to the bottom along with their support/return trip vans.

I traveled this route on a motorcycle in 2007. It is scary, zero guard rails or other restraining devices, but there were few cars on the road with the new paved route, and certainly no large buses or trucks like in the 'old days'.

Truly a senseless tragedy.

I travelled this area seven years ago - safely I'm glad to say, just the occasional road block of burning tyres and earth. Why on earth does it figure in Thai Visa I am wondering.

Ahem... It is under World News

And it gives the Ice Road Truckers, shown on Thai True Vision, a bit of credence.

I could be wrong about this particular bus route, but in south america it is all about time. They dock those drivers' pay when they don't make certain times. This is why you see the "cobrador" kids run out of the city buses 100 mph.... same thing for the long journey buses, the drivers are on strict dock pay if you arrive past a certain time schedules. It is terrible. Making matters even worse, those bus companies like to run at night. This helps the tires and engines last longer. Profit driven = death, and nobody seems to care enough or be able to regulate it all. Hope it gets better one day.