Application Made, But Tea Money Not Paid

UKJASE

hey all...... my friend went down the HH immigration office the other day for his marriage visa...... he is recently married in a genuine relationship. They have a house together, and he has the proof required of earning 40,000B a month from his embassy etc etc

so basically, he met the full requirements to make the application for his visa

during the interview with the officer, an offer was made to the wife in thai, that extra money could be paid on top of the 1900B as a sort of express / VIP service, which included a guarantee of a successful application.......

my mate speaks little thai, so his wife explained to him the offer when they had to go out the office, but he felt their application was sound, and so declined the offer

when they went back later in the afternoon, the 1900B was collected, and the officer asked if this was all the money that was to be given. The wife said yes, this was the full amount to be handed over

the papers then all went to the head honcho person in the office, and my mate was told to come back next month

he is now worried that his chances of getting the visa will be decreased as he didnt pay for the express service, and his wife is really worried to a point of being stressed out....

do u think the non payment will decrease his chances much?? do u guys often opt for the "express" service when dealing with this office??

The exact same thing happened to me in Nan a few years ago. I told the guy I wanted a government receipt for the 3,000 baht for which he was asking. He said he couldn't do that and I said I could not pay. He made me wait, during which time I called immigration in Bangkok and complained about the situation. Pretty soon they called the Nan office, apparently wanting to know what the hell was going on. My application was then processed quickly.

Long story short, I too, was worried about what would happen when I came back in 30 days. What happened is I was in and out, visa in hand, in about five minutes. It was as if they had lost face and didn't even want to look at me.

It is one thing to pay a cop 100 baht when you really were speeding. But as for the rest of these corrupt officials, be sure you are on solid legal ground and refuse to pay. I have never heard of anyone who was on solid ground having a problem when he refused to pay tea money. The thing is, they ask, and some pay, so why not ask?

Your friend will get his visa. Tell him not to worry. The last thing the immigration office wants is attention over demands for tea money!

Here is another trick that always works. Pull out a camera fan out the money and tell the guy you want your wife to take a picture of your handing him the money over your visa application. He won't do it, but such ploys are a lot of fun.

For future reference put THB 1,900 in an envelope on top of your application & sit down as soon as you have handed it in. This tells them you know the score & avoids the need to utter the immortal words "how much is that, officer?" to which the unwary can expect to hear "5000 bhat" in reply. It also avoids any "Face" issues...

[media=]

[/media] Edited by evadgib

Hua Hin is the worst immigation office I have ever dealt with....Phuket, Samui, Bamgkok and Pattaya are all far better...the going rate at HH a few years ago for a genuine marriage extension was 12,000 instead of 1,900...or 20,000 if you needed eveidence of money in the bank.....be nice to know if the OP gets his extension

Hua Hin is the worst immigation office I have ever dealt with....Phuket, Samui, Bamgkok and Pattaya are all far better...the going rate at HH a few years ago for a genuine marriage extension was 12,000 instead of 1,900...or 20,000 if you needed eveidence of money in the bank.....be nice to know if the OP gets his extension

Thats why the paperwork now goes to Bangkok, to cut out the local corruption. You may pay loads BUT you probably will not be on the computer system, BIG problem. w00t.gif

It's a common myth that residents must roll over for fear of being black balled. In reality if anyone forfills the necessary requirements for whatever extention they're applying for they'll probably get it (I have never known one that hasn't) because any well-aimed complaint will draw attention to the fact that foreigners are being fleeced on an industrial scale.

It's a common myth that residents must roll over for fear of being black balled. In reality if anyone forfills the necessary requirements for whatever extention they're applying for they'll probably get it (I have never known one that hasn't) because any well-aimed complaint will draw attention to the fact that foreigners are being fleeced on an industrial scale.

Where can one aim a "well aimed complaint' about HH immigration?...I hope the OPs freind gets his extension, just my personal experience with them...although about 5 years ago, was they were unhelpful and wanted money for anything...I decided not to deal with them and was in the situation I could deal with a different office...when the head poncho is asking for extra money...just who do you complain to?

my mate said there was an email address on the door that read "comments / suggestions / complaints - [email protected]" (pls check that is just from memory)

but i think my mate would be too worried that the repercussions of a complaint would not be positive for his application / future visits to the office.........

Edited by UKJASE

I have dealt with HH immigration since they opened their first office at the policestation, never had any problems whatsoever. Do your homework, bring the correct paperwork, pay the correct fee, and if you qualify for your visa/extension, 100% sure you will get it. Why would anyone, who is qualified for an extension based on marriage, be so stupid to pay 12k for something that costs 1900 ?? As for the 20k paid for NOT having enough money in the bank, do not complain about that, because by paying it you are just as corrupt as the system, that you are complaining about being corrupt! As one who follow the rules, it irritates me that people are missusing the system, because Thailand have honestly very generous immigration rules.

Pathetic to watch some farangs at immigrationoffice. The respect or more likely the fear, make them give big wai's to everything that moves, while they are holding their pettybribes in their small sweaty hands. And then listen to the same guys back in the safety of their barstools.

• Like 1

I have dealt with HH immigration since they opened their first office at the policestation, never had any problems whatsoever. Do your homework, bring the correct paperwork, pay the correct fee, and if you qualify for your visa/extension, 100% sure you will get it. Why would anyone, who is qualified for an extension based on marriage, be so stupid to pay 12k for something that costs 1900 ?? As for the 20k paid for NOT having enough money in the bank, do not complain about that, because by paying it you are just as corrupt as the system, that you are complaining about being corrupt! As one who follow the rules, it irritates me that people are missusing the system, because Thailand have honestly very generous immigration rules.

Pathetic to watch some farangs at immigrationoffice. The respect or more likely the fear, make them give big wai's to everything that moves, while they are holding their pettybribes in their small sweaty hands. And then listen to the same guys back in the safety of their barstools.

Come, come now. Bit OTT eh. coffee1.gif

my mate said there was an email address on the door that read "comments / suggestions / complaints - [email protected]" (pls check that is just from memory)

but i think my mate would be too worried that the repercussions of a complaint would not be positive for his application / future visits to the office.........

A Thai government email address will not be @yahoo.com, but something like @immigration.go.th

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys.... I am the OP, and i spoke to my mate earlier and he said his application was successful, and he has got his visa to remain in thailand for one more year...... not only that, but any tea money that he may have handed over, is still in his bank account..... so happy days....

he said his wife was 80% sure that they werent going to get the visa, due to the way the immigration lady was carrying on.... so he is very happy,

he is also happy in the knowledge that in the future when he goes down there, he will get a fair hearing, and the result will not be affected by the amount of money that is being handed over....

one question please guys.... next year, when his visa expires, does he have to go down immigration office and go through the entire process again, or is it a bit easier the second time round?

Hey Guys.... I am the OP, and i spoke to my mate earlier and he said his application was successful, and he has got his visa to remain in thailand for one more year...... not only that, but any tea money that he may have handed over, is still in his bank account..... so happy days....

he said his wife was 80% sure that they werent going to get the visa, due to the way the immigration lady was carrying on.... so he is very happy,

he is also happy in the knowledge that in the future when he goes down there, he will get a fair hearing, and the result will not be affected by the amount of money that is being handed over....

one question please guys.... next year, when his visa expires, does he have to go down immigration office and go through the entire process again, or is it a bit easier the second time round?

Thats great news....

Somehow I missed this thread last month.

I will add a disappointing experience I had at Hua Hin Immigrations last September when I applied for my annual retirement extension. I was using the "combination" qualification method, i.e. income + savings > 800,000. In other parts of the country, including Pattaya/Jomtien and Bangkok, there is no need to "season" you savings for three months if using the combination qualification.

I was initially denied my retirement extension since the money had not been in my account three months, as Hua Hin Immigrations requires. I was offered an option -- for THB4,000 -- for a 90-day extension to allow my money to season. I graciously declined the offer. (see http://www.thaivisa....-qualification/ for more details).

He made me wait, during which time I called immigration in Bangkok and complained about the situation. Pretty soon they called the Nan office, apparently wanting to know what the hell was going on. My application was then processed quickly.

Any chance that you recall what number you called? I'd like to have it handy in case they pull some new stunt in the future. I will be applying for another annual extension within 30 days.

He made me wait, during which time I called immigration in Bangkok and complained about the situation. Pretty soon they called the Nan office, apparently wanting to know what the hell was going on. My application was then processed quickly.

Any chance that you recall what number you called? I'd like to have it handy in case they pull some new stunt in the future. I will be applying for another annual extension within 30 days.

if you dont get the number buddy, there is definately an email address on the door, visible from outside..... they will have the number possibly, or it would als be a good way to complain if your treatment is less than satisfactory

A Thai government email address will not be @yahoo.com, but something like @immigration.go.th

I noticed the email address at immigration and it's definitely a Yahoo email address rather than a government one, strangely enough!

I was initially denied my retirement extension since the money had not been in my account three months, as Hua Hin Immigrations requires. I was offered an option -- for THB4,000 -- for a 90-day extension to allow my money to season. I graciously declined the offer. (see http://www.thaivisa....-qualification/ for more details).

Similar story from HH immigration (90 day seasoning & 4000 THB tea money) when I asked for a retirement extension in fall of last year. I'd transferred the necessary funds to my Thai bank account to meet the 3 month 'requirement' but applied for the extension before the 3 months was up. I was assured that for 4000 THB I could get the extension right now. I chose to come back later.