3-Months Seasoning Requred For Combo Qualification

Hoo boy. Oy vey. <deleted>?

This was my first retirement extension at Hua Hin, after five consecutive annual extensions at Jomtien.

I used the income + savings qualification, since my pension falls short of B65,000/month.

I was told clearly that the money had not been in my account long enough. It needed to be there three months prior to the extension.

Sorry to hear that, but not shocking. I think the written English rules can correctly be read that you do not need seasoning for the bank account portion when using the combo method; however this is yet another case of a variance in local enforcement policies. This kind of thing is kind of the raison d'être of this forum before they get into more amusing things, like Norweigans going postal in Pattaya.

Edited by Jingthing

Okay, that first post was for the sound-bite generation of ADD readers.

Here's the long version:

After I politely challenged the denial of my extension, the equally polite and friendly Pol Sgt Maj showed me a printout in English that is often linked and quoted here on the ThaiVisa: either B800,000 savings in the bank for 90 days, or, a combination of savings + income to equal B800,000.

I pointed out that the "for 90 days" only was in the first option (B800,000), but was NOT included in the second option (savings + income). He looked confused so I repeated, by separating the options with my hands. He then read the Thai version, and I could tell he "got it," though he never said he did. He said to wait a moment while he consulted his senior officer seated behind him. He said she was calling Bangkok for clarification. She called him back and he returned, it was obvious they weren't budging. He seemed sincere when he said I was the first person to challenge their rule.

He decided to verify my last extension at Jomtien, and saw that in fact, they had issued the extension a mere two days after the money was wired from overseas into my Thai bank account.

I asked him why Bangkok and Jomtien don't require the funds to be seasoned, but Hua Hin did. He said it used to be that way but it changed. I asked when, and he said November 2010. When he saw me write down that date, he opened a binder of official-looking notices (all in Thai) and stopped at one pointed at it and said November 25, 2010.

I asked him if he had the Immigrations help line 4-digit phone number. He didn't know what I was talking about. He gave me a phone number for Bangkok Immigrations which turned out to be a voice-mail menu of recordings only.

He suggested I go to Jomtien tomorrow, since I had time, and they would do the extension without money seasoning. I asked incredulously if the law had changed on November 25, 2010 to require seasoning and he said yes. So, I asked why I should travel to Jomtien if they also required seasoning. He just smiled.

At one point, he offered some temporary short extension (for B4,000!) to give me 90 days to season my money, and I said, no, thank you.

We sat there, in this bizarre give and take conversation, both of us entirely civil and polite, and finally he said he would ask his senior officer if they would make an exception this one time, for me only, to not require the bank money to be seasoned.

And, we were off the races, he stamped, signed, filled in forms and I got my extension and re-entry permit. He slipped up, though. He never consulted with his senior officer before doing so. After he said he would check with her about an exception for me, he & I chatted a while and he started processing the paperwork. Never even looked at her. Hmmmmm.

So, I would VERY MUCH like to hear any reports of experience at Hua Hin Immigrations, especially since November 25, 2010, from anyone using the savings + income method to qualify for a retirement extension.

(Now, let's how long it takes this thread to veer off into: examples from non-Hua Hin locations, non-retirement extensions and/or not using the income + savings method.)

Edited by wpcoe

Hoo boy. Oy vey. <deleted>? (part 2)

Have you dialed 1178? The "option 1 for information service" is the menu system for pre-recorded information for which I had been given the direct number by the Hua Hin officer.

What the heck does she say option 2 is for??? Anyway, I pressed "2" and got a Thai-speaking fellow who got me an English-speaker who gave me a number to call: 02-141-9889, but the recording at that number indicated they closed at 1630, and it was 1629 when I called, so of course, no answer.

If I still feel motivated, I may pursue at that number tomorrow during their business hours.

[edited to correct the phone number]

Edited by wpcoe

Hoo boy. Oy vey. <deleted>? (part 2)

Have you dialed 1178? The "option 1 for information service" is the menu system for pre-recorded information for which I had been given the direct number by the Hua Hin officer.

What the heck does she say option 2 is for??? Anyway, I pressed "2" and got a Thai-speaking fellow who got me an English-speaker who gave me a number to call: 02-141-9889, but the recording at that number indicated they closed at 1630, and it was 1629 when I called, so of course, no answer.

If I still feel motivated, I may pursue at that number tomorrow during their business hours.

[edited to correct the phone number]

..this requirement was also ask by immigration in Nakhon si Thammarat...money need to be 3 months in the acount for both : 800 000 and money income + money in bank !!!

so you imagine to have by exemple 200 000 in bank 3 month before extension base on the chf ! but whats happen if 3 months after the chf is down ! and that is now 250 000 you need to make your extension ??? I take the chf because is now very hight and take 8 points more in 7 months !