Kde 3.5

kelv23

hi'

attention, updating kde isn't a small thing to do, first some of the packages has to be installed first and in order, take a look at the how_to,

then you will encounter some dependencies clash(most of the time), so you'll have to force the install, rpm -Uvh -force -nodep ...

read the how-to and print it, you'll need it all the way if it's your first update of kde :o

francois

Hi,

I use KDE 3.5 (Archlinux 0.7.1 Noodle) and no problem so long.

I just made a fresh Archlinux install today on a new HD and had to install some parts of KDE though I don't use the K Desktop Environnement (KDE) but the fvwm window manager. I often use konqueror and k3b so I need a minimal KDE install.

KDE is a modular DE (package groups: kdebase, kdegraphics, kde-multimedia, kdegames, kdenetwork, etc). So, what you need is kdebase and you can later install some other group of software.

I installed kdebase and its dependencies first (arch is so dependencies friendly :D ): gkrellshoot0106062257218de.th.jpg

You can see that kdebase, kde-common, kdelibs, the qt library, arts, among the most important are are required (Targets) and will be installed. At this point you're able to use KDE, its login manager and the basic apps such konqueror, kate, kwrite, kcontrol etc. Don't forget to install tke kde-i18n-xx localisation package.

The final result: gkrellshoot0107062236408ls.th.jpg

Sorry, as Suse and RPM's never liked me, I'm not so informed about it. But you can see that you don't need all the kdestuff to run KDE. :o I'm not sure you'll understand anything. :D

Hi,

I use KDE 3.5 (Archlinux 0.7.1 Noodle) and no problem so long.

I just made a fresh Archlinux install today on a new HD and had to install some parts of KDE though I don't use the K Desktop Environnement (KDE) but the fvwm window manager. I often use konqueror and k3b so I need a minimal KDE install.

KDE is a modular DE (package groups: kdebase, kdegraphics, kde-multimedia, kdegames, kdenetwork, etc). So, what you need is kdebase and you can later install some other group of software.

I installed kdebase and its dependencies first (arch is so dependencies friendly :D ): gkrellshoot0106062257218de.th.jpg

You can see that kdebase, kde-common, kdelibs, the qt library, arts, among the most important are are required (Targets) and will be installed. At this point you're able to use KDE, its login manager and the basic apps such konqueror, kate, kwrite, kcontrol etc. Don't forget to install tke kde-i18n-xx localisation package.

The final result: gkrellshoot0107062236408ls.th.jpg

Sorry, as Suse and RPM's never liked me, I'm not so informed about it. But you can see that you don't need all the kdestuff to run KDE. :o I'm not sure you'll understand anything. :D

Well Im running KDE3.5 now,no real hassle to install as it was done through a Yast repository.

Now for the next question

I upped to 3.5 as it has Yahoo/msn webcam support for Kopete.When i try to access a cam it says that JasPer is missing.If anyones got any experience with this please let me know as its not too clear as to what parts of JasPer is needed.Heres whats installed already

snapshot21me.jpgThanks

Hi kelv. :o

The jasper packages you have installed should suffice, in my distro's database it's the only one available.

I would suggest you to use This hosting website when you send screenshots. Less bandwith used and no need to scroll so much. :D

I already use imageshack but for some reason I kept getting the message that it cant host dynamic pics on thaivisa or something similar.It was only a .jpg.

Still cant view webcams for some reason tho

• 2 weeks later...
hi'

attention, updating kde isn't a small thing to do, first some of the packages has to be installed first and in order, take a look at the how_to,

then you will encounter some dependencies clash(most of the time), so you'll have to force the install, rpm -Uvh -force -nodep ...

read the how-to and print it, you'll need it all the way if it's your first update of kde :o

francois

hi'

"old" school still works but have to say that Suse made so many progress in updates that upgrading KDE is now easy with Suse ...

updating now :D

francois

ps; kelv23 thanks for a good remembering of the power of Yast :D

hi'

francois

hi'

"old" school still works but have to say that Suse made so many progress in updates that upgrading KDE is now easy with Suse ...

updating now :D

francois

ps; kelv23 thanks for a good remembering of the power of Yast :D

Yast is quite a handy tool ,but for noobs like me it makes it a bit too easy as I rarely have the time to look into how to use konsole to install anything so I dont learn as much about installing through CLI .

Still cant get a webcam working tho

:D