The Great Toiletries Scam ?

Harrykrabi

Flying up from Krabi to Bangkok and back again v recently with no check in baggage the friendly closely shaven, well groomed and sweet smelling security staff at Krabi helped themselves to my toiletries. Then on the way back similarly well groomed,sweet smelling security staff at Suvannabhumi did just the same thing.

Can anyone explain how a tube of toothpaste,underarm deodorant, shaving gel and expensive after shave can be "dangerous" ? I mean I have been using them on my face, in my mouth and under my arms for years with no ill effects but the helpful security staff seemed to think they might explode in the Air Asia passenger cabin !

And have you noticed just how sweet smelling, well groomed and closely shaven those guys are since they started collecting passengers tolietries ? Aren't they supposed to be destroyed (particularly since one such officer took great time and patience to explain just how dangerous and explosive they are and how they would be the subject of a carefully orchestrated controlled explosion) ? And why do the Thais walk through security unchallenged toiletries intact because on both out and return journey is was only the farang who were having them stolen (yes stolen) ?

One passenger close to me at Bangkok was having his toiletries confiscated whilst protesting he had purchased them only ten minutes previous in the departure lounge branch of Boots (new meaning to the concept of recycling ?).

You have the right to destroy these items yourself right in front of the helpful security staff. My attitude is if I can't have them they as sure as hell aren't having them either - so in Bangkok I did just that and poured it all away into a rubbish bin. Bet that pissed them off.

It has nothing to do with how harmless toothpaste,shaving gel's and alike are.There is a law that says that the size of liquids carried on the plane have a certain size limit,which is very small.

In that shaving foam container can be anything but shaving foam,who will tell.

I know this law is a bit of a pain in the a**e if you travel with carry on luggage only,but with all those wacko's around these days I rather feel safe than sorry.

Restrictions on Liquids, Gels, and Aerosols

On 10 August 2006, authorities in the United Kingdom uncovered an alleged plot to sabotage as many as 10 US airliners traveling from the United Kingdom to the United States, reportedly by using liquid and gel based explosives. Since then, the US and most other countries have restricted what liquids and gels a passenger may have in the passenger cabin: In the US, the general TSA restrictions are as follows:

Passengers may bring into the secure area of the airport liquid and gel products, so long as each individual container has a capacity of no greater than 3.4 fluid ounces (100 ml), and all of these small containers can fit in quart-size, zip-top, clear plastic bag. The TSA suggestion for a zip-top is a loose requirement. If you only have a few small containers, you don't need an additional zip-top bag.

Snow globes and similar liquid-filled decorations, no matter what size, can only be carried in checked luggage.

Passengers may not pass through the security screening with gel or beverage containers of greater capacity unless they fall under one of the exemptions described below.

Note: Once a passenger has passed through security screening, they can purchase any size beverage and other liquid or gel products in the terminal and take them on to the plane.

This post is completely in the wrong place and has nothing to do with Krabi ! At no airport on this planet you are allowed to have such items in the hand luggage. Previous posters explained why. But as an ignorant passenger you have to face they are taken from you. Lesson learnt.

• Like 1

Two things...

Australia and most countries did not apply this silly rule to domestic flights - it was an International Air-Transport requirement...

Secondly, most countries are looking to phase out this silly rule for international flights over the next year...

I reckon if you are relying on a bomber not being able to figure out a way around such a stupid rule, or picking them up at the airport, we are all in serious trouble...

• Like 1

Harrykrabi, For me its a matter of course to ensure nothing in my carry on is more than 100ml. I do realise that you are referring to domestic flights but I have had aerosols confiscated from domestic terminals before now so I err on the side of caution.

As others have said, I dont believe you have a gripe, and travel in a safe environment should be a prime requisite for us all I would have thought.

Two things...

Australia and most countries did not apply this silly rule to domestic flights - it was an International Air-Transport requirement...

Secondly, most countries are looking to phase out this silly rule for international flights over the next year...

I reckon if you are relying on a bomber not being able to figure out a way around such a stupid rule, or picking them up at the airport, we are all in serious trouble...

Can you explain your feelings about this rule a little more clearly please. You think it's __________ ?

Two things...

Silly rule? I'd rather you go up in a bang than me!!!!

Number 1 - stop creating an environment where terrorism is encouraged... bombing and killing innocent people until they don't hate you isn't good foreign policy...

Number 2 - targeted search... The gels that they are looking for are not the explosive... when mixed together, they burn very hot, enough to be the trigger to an explosive elsewhere on the body... I have no problem with full body x-Rays to find the explosive, because I am not American with an exaggerated sense of where Civil Liberties starts and ends... but I do have a problem with walking around Auckland at 2am, to try and buy some toothpaste and hair-gel for the morning, because I travel without check-in luggage...

Number 3 - a proper risk assessment and planning, not some knee-jerk reaction... I fully understand that in the days and weeks immediately after the attempted attack, the measures they put in place were appropriate... I don't think it should have taken 3 years or more to come up with a more workable solution...

and yet they still allow butane lighters in the plane?

Not from Bali airport they dont... strange how others dont follow!

When was this? I have been through Denpasar about 2 dozen times and never had my lighter confiscated. Beijing, Shanghai, and Kingston Jamaica all took them though sad.png

The simple point that I was making is that from what I saw they were ONLY targetting foreigners and taking their stuff, the flight both ways was 90% Thai people NONE of whom got stopped. Secondly this is pure theft, its not their stuff to take, I believe that the Thai security staff are either using or reselling this stuff hence their zeal.

I hope the rule is revoked especially for domestic flights.

I have since been told by a friend from the USA who is Bangkok based and travels all over Asia regularly on business that IF you are coming back to the same airport you can insist they bag and keep your stuff and you can then retrieve it on your way back in. He tells me he has done this a few times but the authorities hate doing it (as its extra work etc..) but if one insists strongly enough they apparently have to.

and yet they still allow butane lighters in the plane?

Not from Bali airport they dont... strange how others dont follow!

When was this? I have been through Denpasar about 2 dozen times and never had my lighter confiscated. Beijing, Shanghai, and Kingston Jamaica all took them though sad.png

Denpasar were very busy taking them in January 2012. as they were in October 2011 and a few times prior to that.

There is a smoking room directly after the "give up your lighter table" and of course people didnt have a lighter... strange old world!

Edited by edwinclapham

The simple point that I was making is that from what I saw they were ONLY targetting foreigners and taking their stuff, the flight both ways was 90% Thai people NONE of whom got stopped. Secondly this is pure theft, its not their stuff to take, I believe that the Thai security staff are either using or reselling this stuff hence their zeal.

I hope the rule is revoked especially for domestic flights.

I have since been told by a friend from the USA who is Bangkok based and travels all over Asia regularly on business that IF you are coming back to the same airport you can insist they bag and keep your stuff and you can then retrieve it on your way back in. He tells me he has done this a few times but the authorities hate doing it (as its extra work etc..) but if one insists strongly enough they apparently have to.

They target the people with liquids in their bags, which they can see quite clearly when they x-ray it. Seems the 90% Thai travellers were more savvy than you and actually followed the rules...

I agree that this liquids rule is rather superfluous now-3 years on. Undressing (or virtually sometimes) is crazy as well. During his commercial training a pilot learns every piece of emergency equipment concealed in the cabin of an aircraft, normally for use in emergencies. You can bet your bottom dollar that a person who has done that portion of the groundschool and intent on compromising the safety of an aircraft in flight really does not need to bring anything on board apart from some knowledge. An explosive device guarantees 'success' I suppose. To think, these crazy ideas stemmed from the Jordanian desert in 1973 or thereabouts-Crazy world