Pabx Phone Systems

innerspace

We are looking for a new phone system and as normal in this country finding it very hard to get any useful and reliable information.

Can anyone recommend a company that would be able to supply, install and support a PABX system.

Ideally based in Pattaya but Bangkok or nearby could work if needed.

We have spoken to TOT who eventually said that they can provide the required lines but not a system.

The person who TOT recommended for a PABX system says he can provide that but is struggling to answer fairly basic questions and cant recommend any models of actual phones!

What we need is:-

• Lines for at least 3 but preferably 4-5+ simultaneous calls.
  • At least 8 but possibly more internal extensions with phones
  • IVR Auto attendant system with extensions and call groups
  • Call transfer

What we would like is:-

• Call hold and transfer with 2 simultaneous lines per handset
  • Cordless phones (will reduce our handset requirements)
  • Direct dial numbers
  • Call queues
  • Voip integration for international calls a nice extra but certainly not required

Speaking English would be a plus but not essential since we have Thai staff who can help.

What would be ideal is someone with knowledge and experience of the whole package....PABX, phones and the phone company.

Why use such old technology? You should be looking at a 100% VOIP system, with as many VOIP/POTS interfaces as you need for your POTS lines if you think you really need to have any.

VOIP is infinitely more flexible and useful than POTS.

I just spent 30 minutes typing up an in-depth response and I accidentally hit the back button. I lost everything.

Anyway, to keep it short:

I used to be general manager of a Toshiba dealer in the Unites States. I have 8 years hands-on experience in every aspect of an SMB technology firm (phone, data, surveillance). That was just last week. I'm now in Bangkok in a different industry.

Recommendation:

1) Find a reputable and certified dealer. Make sure their techs are competent. This is the most important task. DO NOT skimp on service unless you feel like wasting more money in the near-future, sometimes next day. That said, stick with the well-known manufacturers. Hybrid systems: Toshiba, NEC, Panasonic, ESI, Avaya. VOIP systems: Cisco, Shoretel, Asterisk-based systems. Look on their international websites for official Thailand dealers. For your requirements, stick with a hybrid-PBX.

2) Find a a reliable phone/internet carrier. If you find a good dealer, they will find a good carrier.

3) International calls can be made via SIP-trunking. It's usually an extra feature in the system but can be worth the money if implemented correctly. You will save money rather quickly if you make a lot of international calls.

This took another 15 minutes to write. Any more in-depth and I'd have to charge you biggrin.png Actually, you now owe me $75 for 45 minutes but we didn't have a written agreement so too bad for me... which leads to recommendation #4. Get a written proposal of everything that will be performed by the dealer so you have a recourse.

Good luck!

Shawn

If you are looking at VoIP you might also want to consider Zultys - been using the same one for 7 years.

It is very important to look at the INCLUDED functionality, plus the expansion options.

Take Shawns advice well - I would recommend each of his points strongly.

Tip #5 - pay on completion of the works - a decent outfit will not have an issue with this.

Dave

We use Panasonic PABX in our office. Looked at the Thai made Forth system, but wasn't convinced of the quality / reputation at the time against a major Japanese brand like Panasonic. Admittedly, I've never heard since of anyone having problems with Forth systems since making my choice.

Just wondering ....re IP PBXs .. Hear the Thai PSTN is sometimes flaky due to somewhat poorly maintained ,antiquated infrastructure.

Maybe B-ISDN is worth investigating..probably not cheap though? If a FTTB is in the area this would solve part of the problem of course.

• 3 months later...

We have a small business with 6 staff in the office and I have been looking a affortable PBX for some time. After much comparing we went with a FRITZ!Box from VoIP Thailand.

The company has been around for some time and these guys are really competent. They also offer hosted IP-PBX's for bigger companies, too. Worth taking a look...