Flying To Bkk On A Ow Ticket

joguva

I'm tempted to fly to BKK on a one way ticket. I plan to teach english when I arrive and really have no idea when I would leave. I know a one year ticket is available but it seems easy enough to supply a written itinerary with a return flight showing. What I'm wondering is if Immigration would even know my electronic ticket is one way. it would really suck getting turned away at the airport.

Has anyone ever done this?

It isn't usually the immigration that bother looking for your return ticket, its usually the airline staff at the ticket counter as you check in. If you don't have a visa and get refused entry then the airline is liable to pay for your flight out.

I've entered on one way tickets a number of times with no difficulty. If you are on a tourist visa, every country's entry rules (as far as I know) require you to have an 'onward ticket.' That could be satisfied by you ticket having a 'stop' in Bangkok and then an onward leg, say to Singapore; or it could be satisfied by having a separate ticket to someplace else, not necessarily a return ticket at all.

Having said all that, those are just the rules. As a practical matter, no one has ever asked to see my ticket (and that goes back about twenty years). I've never know anyone else whose ticket was inspected either.

Earlier this year I bought a one way ticket from Sydney Austrial to BKK on Qantas, they asked me at immigration (SYD) if I lived and had a visa for Thailand. I said YES and they never looked in my passport to see if I did or not.

I did not have a visa even a 30 day visa.

Hope this helps

Right on, all of that helps. I've been watching and reading this forum for the last month, trying to absorb all the information. I'm ready and I can't F'ing stand it anymore, BKK here I come!

Mickmac is right, it's the airline you'll have to convince. I had a gap in my itinerary once and had to buy the cheapest, fully refundable ticket so they would let me start the trip. Immigration occasionally has asked when I'm leaving, but I've never had to show any proof.

I'm not sure if you're just winging this trip, but make sure you're knowledgeble about visas before you get there. Overstaying could create a mess and it's easy enough to legally get a new one.

I think your best bet is to get a visa before you go. I did that 2 years ago with a one way ticket. No problems at all.

Some countries are tougher than others. I tried flying to the Philippines with a OW and no visa and had to buy a return before they would let me check in. I got a full refund, but it took several months.