Daily Police Stops In Bangkok

^ If you broke the law, request/take the ticket. 200B or whatever who cares. If you didn't brake the law, sit and argue if you wish. Either way NEVER pay the bribe. That just reinforces that you (we) are easy pickens. It's almost always the person stopped that tries to bribe the cop first because they know it's often cheaper but mainly because it's a hell of a lot quicker. People are lazy. If people stopped doing this, the cops wouldn't be expecting it. Considering what we can get away with on the roads here, the occasional ticket is no problem. I will be breaking the stupid kept left law all day long if I need to if it is the safer thing to do. Back home that is actually a legal defense to an traffic infraction so my conscious is clear.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ If you broke the law, request/take the ticket. 200B or whatever who cares. If you didn't brake the law, sit and argue if you wish. Either way NEVER pay the bribe. That just reinforces that you (we) are easy pickens. It's almost always the person stopped that tries to bribe the cop first because they know it's often cheaper but mainly because it's a hell of a lot quicker. People are lazy. If people stopped doing this, the cops wouldn't be expecting it. Considering what we can get away with on the roads here, the occasional ticket is no problem. I will be breaking the stupid kept left law all day long if I need to if it is the safer thing to do. Back home that is actually a legal defense to an traffic infraction so my conscious is clear.

nomadjoe, if you want to change things, start first from your country of citizen man.

We are expats/tourists/retirees here so we have no right to change anything in a foreign land. We just adapt.

It might be idealistic for the first time police stop but if it is more that 50 times, it gets a little boring and time consuming to fight for 100 thb really.

So if i argue with the police for an hour on a 100 thb bribe and then head to police station and an hour there as well, what benefit this will bring to Thailand? You think other Thai people will take you as a role model at the police stop and fight with you for it? hahahaha.

You just argue and other 100 Thai citizen just pay and pass.

nomadjoe, if you want to change things, start first from your country of citizen man.

We are expats/tourists/retirees here so we have no right to change anything in a foreign land. We just adapt.

It might be idealistic for the first time police stop but if it is more that 50 times, it gets a little boring and time consuming to fight for 100 thb really.

So if i argue with the police for an hour on a 100 thb bribe and then head to police station and an hour there as well, what benefit this will bring to Thailand? You think other Thai people will take you as a role model at the police stop and fight with you for it? hahahaha.

You just argue and other 100 Thai citizen just pay and pass.

Your pessimistic position is a totally valid one, and I respect your right to follow your own advice. Some people have constitutional fortitude and a sense of civic duty and some don't. But you are wrong, you don't have to adapt to everything in Thailand. You make it sound as if I am heading some NGO campaign. I am just saying that I personally don't want to contribute to the problem and I suggest others, Thai's or foreigners do the same. (It is a crime after all, for those that care about that sort of thing) And furthermore, those that voluntarily hand over the dosh really shouldn't have the right to complain about it (if it's a legit offense) if they are to lazy to spend the time to do it legally.

You would have to be here a long time to get stopped 50 times. You guys in bangers have it tougher then we do, but I've been here most of 11 years, been stopped maybe, I don't know, 20-30 times, fined just once. Never asked to pay a bribe for anything, and the one time I was fined 10 years ago, before I was enlightened, the cop refused to take a bribe when I offered it.

But to use your numbers, 50 times 100 is 5000B. In the incident in the similar thread going right now in general topics, the guy was being done for nothing and the guy saved 300 baht by refusing to bribe his way out, so make it 15,000B saved, (and also formally complained). Also in that thread another poster stated that he went through the same checkpoint on the same day, all documents checked, but no funny business. So perhaps the copper got in trouble and was less aggressively ripping off tourists. It's possible!

...no right to change anything in a foreign land...

Haven't you heard? Us Americans aren't very good with that one. (KONY 2012) smile.png

Edited by NomadJoe
  • Like 1

A bit off topic here but i dare the.people thafollow their home country laws to fire up some weed, get down to the station an ask the coppers if they have any problems with it... Good luck moron...

Just because some things are allowed in some countries does not mean it is allowed in all countries...

We are in Thailand, we should follow Thai law. Simple as that. In my 11/12 years here now I have been stopped several times on bike and car... Twice a bribe has changed hands (my fault I was in a hurry), one real fine paid at the station... The rest has just been a friendly smile with a propper greeting amd show my booklet of papers... Always the original- why muck around? Not returned- well a quick phone to some Thai friends and he would have big problems--- the police is in general very friendly- so smile to them, wai, ask what is the problem, pay or ticket on your way... Easy!

If you engage in a bargening over how much.to pay, you are asking for his.bribe... YOU started it!!! Dont go home and cry afterwards!!!

Be a man, grow a pair!

Sent from my GT-S5660 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 1

7- Expensive helmet and bike gear prevents them to stop you as they think that you are not a tourist here and you might be a well connected farang that can create problems for them. Sam rule applies for big bikes. They mostly stop small fishes! All the police in Thailand have bikes and they are OK to big bikers. After i bought cbr250, they stopped me significantly less.

I attribute this phenomenon to why we don't have nearly the problem with this in Phuket as you Bangers guys seem to have. There are so many connected farangs here and word has gotten back when rip-offs and scams occur. I also think that the police here are able to make so much money with legit offenses that it becomes not worth the time or trouble for them to risk the complaints. It's like shooting fish in a barrel either way. And the BS that they stop farangs certianly isn't true here. I usually get waved though while Thai's are lined up waiting to pay fines at the fine booth.

I think you have a valid point here, I live in Phuket for 23 years and never had any problems with the police.

If you see how many bloody expensive cars and big bikes ( also Thai owned ) drive around Phuket it is safe to say that many of them are for sure well connected.

When you see check points it is always the small scooters and obvious tourists who are stopped and never the cars or big bikes.

มาตรา 33 ในการขับรถ ผู้ขับขี่ต้องขับรถในทางเดินรถด้านซ้าย และ ต้องไม่ล้ำกึ่งกลางของทางเดินรถ เว้นแต่ในกรณีต่อไปนี้ ให้เดินทางขวาหรือ ล้ำกึ่งกลางของทางเดินรถได้

Spac1.gif (1) ด้านซ้ายของทางเดินรถมีสิ่งกีดขวางหรือถูกปิดการจราจร

Spac1.gif (2) ทางเดินรถนั้นเจ้าพนักงานจราจรกำหนดให้เป็นทางเดินรถทางเดียว

Spac1.gif (3) ทางเดินรถนั้นกว้างไม่ถึงหกเมตร

33 - While driving, drivers are obliged to keep to the left and not cross the centre divide except for the following exceptions:

1) That lane is blocked or closed to traffic

2) A traffic official assigns a single lane as the only lane to be used
(i.e., police check-point)

3) The road is less than 6 meters wide

มาตรา 34 ในการใช้ทางเดินรถที่ได้จัดแบ่งช่องเดินรถในทิศทางเดียว กันไว้ตั้งแต่สองช่องขึ้นไป หรือที่ได้จัดช่องเดินรถประจำทางไว้ในช่องเดิน รถซ้ายสุด ผู้ขับขี่ต้องขับรถในช่องซ้ายสุดหรือใกล้กับช่องเดินรถประจำทาง เว้นแต่ในกรณีต่อไปนี้ ให้เดินทางขวาของทางเดินรถได้

Spac1.gif (1) ในช่องเดินรถนั้นมีสิ่งกีดขวางหรือถูกปิดการจราจร

Spac1.gif (2) ทางเดินรถนั้นเจ้าพนักงานจราจรกำหนดให้เป็นทางเดินรถทางเดียว

Spac1.gif (3) จะต้องเข้าช่องทางให้ถูกต้องเมื่อเข้าบริเวณใกล้ทางร่วมทางแยก

Spac1.gif (4) เมื่อจะแซงขึ้นหน้ารถคันอื่น

Spac1.gif (5) เมื่อผู้ขับขี่ขับรถด้วยความเร็วสูงกว่ารถในช่องเดินรถด้านซ้าย

Spac1.gif *หมายเหตุ มาตรา นี้ได้มีการเพิ่มเติมเข้าไปโดย พ.ร.บ.แก้ไขเพิ่มเติม ข้อความใหม่เข้าไปโดย พ.ร.บ. แก้ไขเพิ่มเติมพระราชบัญญัติจราจรทางบก (ฉบับที่ 4)พ.ศ.2535 ใน มาตรา 6 ซึ่งได้ประกาศในราชกิจจานุเบกษา เล่มที่ 109 ตอนที่ 39 หน้า 44 วันที่ 6 เมษายน พ.ศ.2535

34 - In driving on roads divided into 2 lanes or more of the same direction, or where there is a bus lane in the left-most lane, drivers are obliged to keep to the left lane, or the lane next to the bus lane except for the following cases where driving in a lane to the right (of the left lane) is permissible:

1) That lane is blocked or closed to traffic

2) A traffic official assigns a single lane as the only lane to be used
(i.e., police check-point)

3) The driver must enter the correct lane when approaching a junction

4) When overtaking another vehicle

5) When the driver is driving faster than vehicles in the left lane(s)

มาตรา 35 รถที่มีความเร็วช้าหรือรถที่มีความเร็วต่ำกว่าความเร็วของ รถคันอื่นที่ขับในทิศทางเดียวกัน ผู้ขับขี่ต้องขัยรถให้ใกล้ขอบทางเดินรถ ด้านซ้ายเท่าที่จะกระทำได้

Spac1.gif ผู้ขับขี่รถบรรทุก รถบรรทุกคนโดยสาร รถจักรยานยนต์ในทางเดินรถ ซึ่งได้แบ่งช่องเดินรถในทิศทางเดียวกันไว้ตั้งแต่สองช่องขึ้นไป หรือได้จัดช่อง ทางเดินรถประจำทางด้านซ้ายไว้โดยเฉพาะ ต้องขับรถในช่องเดินรถด้าน ซ้ายสุดหรือใกล้เคียงกับช่องเดินรถประจำทางแล้วแต่กรณี

Spac1.gif ความในวรรคสองมิให้ใช้บังคับแก่รถยนต์บรรทุกส่วนบุคคล ที่มีน้ำหนักไม่ เกินหนึ่งพันหกร้อยกิโลกรัม และรถยนต์นั่งส่วนบุคคลเกินเจ็ดคน ตามกฎหมาย ว่าด้วยรถยนต์

Spac1.gif *หมายเหตุ มาตรา นี้ความเดิมได้ถูกยกเลิกไป และมีการเพิ่มเติมข้อความ ใหม่เข้าไปโดย พ.ร.บ. แก้ไขเพิ่มเติม พ.ร.บ.จราจรทางบก (ฉบับที่ 3) พ.ศ.2535 ใน มาตรา 3 ซึ่งได้ประกาศในราชกิจจานุเบกษา เล่มที่ 103 ตอนที่ 180 ลงวันที่ 13 ตุลาคม พ.ศ.2529

7- Expensive helmet and bike gear prevents them to stop you as they think that you are not a tourist here and you might be a well connected farang that can create problems for them. Sam rule applies for big bikes. They mostly stop small fishes! All the police in Thailand have bikes and they are OK to big bikers. After i bought cbr250, they stopped me significantly less.

I attribute this phenomenon to why we don't have nearly the problem with this in Phuket as you Bangers guys seem to have. There are so many connected farangs here and word has gotten back when rip-offs and scams occur. I also think that the police here are able to make so much money with legit offenses that it becomes not worth the time or trouble for them to risk the complaints. It's like shooting fish in a barrel either way. And the BS that they stop farangs certianly isn't true here. I usually get waved though while Thai's are lined up waiting to pay fines at the fine booth.

I think you have a valid point here, I live in Phuket for 23 years and never had any problems with the police.

If you see how many bloody expensive cars and big bikes ( also Thai owned ) drive around Phuket it is safe to say that many of them are for sure well connected.

When you see check points it is always the small scooters and obvious tourists who are stopped and never the cars or big bikes.

I never felt that it was the size of my bike that made the difference. I still got stopped plenty on my Ninja 650R and 200 Enduro and it seemed to happen as often on my little bikes, but usually I was 100% legal which is why I think I was often waved through while Thai's were stopped. Plus we don't have many roads here which are well suited to the them trying on the old "motorcycles keep left" law. Roads are mostly single lane and narrow, but if there are two traffic lanes going in the same direction, the left one is usually used for parking, and often narrows and disappears with no warning.

Today around 11:30am just south of pattaya klang on sukumvit a highway patrol check in the sb lane. They were not pattaya or banglamung police. There were close to 100 officers with all four lanes closed. I had my license and insurance but no green book as my nuovo is only 2 weeks old. Well of course he insisted I should have a green book copy? I honestly don't know if the bikes come with books from the factory and the 2-3month wait is only a name change. I didn't get a ticket but don't like to be in a position of not knowing who is correct?

Today around 11:30am just south of pattaya klang on sukumvit a highway patrol check in the sb lane. They were not pattaya or banglamung police. There were close to 100 officers with all four lanes closed. I had my license and insurance but no green book as my nuovo is only 2 weeks old. Well of course he insisted I should have a green book copy? I honestly don't know if the bikes come with books from the factory and the 2-3month wait is only a name change. I didn't get a ticket but don't like to be in a position of not knowing who is correct?

When my bike was new I was told to keep the Purchase Invoice ( kept a copy on me). When stopped by the police I showed the License and a copy of the purchase invoice (in place of the vehicle license plate). Apart from the comments on the value, no issues were raised and I was allowed on my way.

Actually, I'm not sure that it is a legal requirement to carry the greenbook with the vehicle (which would make is easy for theives)

When my bike was new I was told to keep the Purchase Invoice ( kept a copy on me). When stopped by the police I showed the License and a copy of the purchase invoice (in place of the vehicle license plate). Apart from the comments on the value, no issues were raised and I was allowed on my way.

Actually, I'm not sure that it is a legal requirement to carry the greenbook with the vehicle (which would make is easy for theives)

I also had my invoice. Here in pattaya it has always been required to have a copy of your green book.

Hi Karl, hope your hand is fine now and the bike's back together? smile.png

Back on topic, I was also told by Realmotorsport to keep the invoice and present it to any officer that may stop me while my greenbook was being processed.

Turns out the only police officer that stopped me in the first 6 weeks of owning my bike (without a greenbook) insisted that i should have a greenbook and redplate on the bike.

No ifs or buts, he didn't care one bit that i had all the documents with me to prove the book and plate were being processed... sad.png

As for keeping the book with the bike, i just keep laminated copies under the seat of each of my bikes, never the real thing. smile.png

Edited by karlos

Hi Karl, hope your hand is fine now and the bike's back together? smile.png

Back on topic, I was also told by Realmotorsport to keep the invoice and present it to any officer that may stop me while my greenbook was being processed.

Turns out the only police officer that stopped me in the first 6 weeks of owning my bike (without a greenbook) insisted that i should have a greenbook and redplate on the bike.

No ifs or buts, he didn't care one bit that i had all the documents with me to prove the book and plate were being processed... sad.png

As for keeping the book with the bike, i just keep laminated copies under the seat of each of my bikes, never the real thing. smile.png

It used to be required that you keep your greenbook with the bike. They changed the law because, as Karl pointed out, it made it too easy for the thieves.

The law says you must have a plate, period, but the Bangkok dealers don't issue red plates. I have never heard a reason for this. Many people have posted on here the same experience of being done for no plate despite having the invoice. When my mate bought his Tiger direct from the manufacturer the salesman said he didn't need a plate. He was stopped in Phuket and cited despite having the invoice.