Does Your Android Or Iphone Ever Have Dropped Signal ?

Hi

I am a big fan of android system and owner of many android devices (mostly samsungs)

I have noticed sometimes (not very often ) my phone signal bars go to zero and there is a tiny R character

(obviously ,this means i cant recieve calls or data when im in this stage )

doesnt happen on my 600thb nokia :)

usually i can reboot the phone and it works again but i was talking with two thai guys

using android phones from other manufactures (not samsung ) and they live 50 km from me

on the opposite side of the city who have the same problem sometimes

they think it an android problem and they think it doesnt happen on iphones

i was under the impression it was a dropped signal due to the dodgy thai network transmitters etc

and when you re-boot the phone ,it re-connects to the server

does this happen to anyone else or has anyone noticed anything similar ?

I just recently switched from 12Call to TrueMoveH (the data speeds in AIS were really bad).

Every now and then, my phone switches from being on the "TRUE-H/CAT 3G" network to "TRUE".

When it is "TRUE", I get the R symbol, which means it has switched off data because I'm roaming.

I have to do a manual scan and reselect the "TRUE-H/CAT 3G" network and then I get the H+ symbol and data connection again.

On AIS I didn't have this problem.

To the OP, what provider do you use?

If on True H it's actually normal.

If you have low signal and their is a regular Truemove tower nearby your phone will switch to that signal.

You actually can use 3g data when roaming on True, but you have to allow it in the settings of your phone.

It's usually shut of by default to avoid high costs when roaming, but in the case of TrueH/Truemove this is not an issue!

Sent from my GT-S5660 using Thaivisa Connect App

To the OP, what provider do you use?

If on True H it's actually normal.

If you have low signal and their is a regular Truemove tower nearby your phone will switch to that signal.

You actually can use 3g data when roaming on True, but you have to allow it in the settings of your phone.

It's usually shut of by default to avoid high costs when roaming, but in the case of TrueH/Truemove this is not an issue!

Sent from my GT-S5660 using Thaivisa Connect App

Thanks. I'll try that. I just need to remember to disable data roaming next time I travel !! :)

Sometimes happens on my S2. Don't know the answer, but hopefully a firmware update will fix it.

Me also- just bought the S2, and have noticed my phone falling off the network. When it happens, it is totally gone - "Emergency Calls Only". Rebooting the phone restores the connection right away.

Irritating because there is no outward sign when this happens - still showing signal strength, and sometimes still have data service, but can't make or take phone calls.

Anyone else have problem like this? I'm suspecting the SIM card, even though the SIM worked fine for a year in my previous Galaxy mini, and for years before that in a variety of telephones.

Sometimes happens on my S2. Don't know the answer, but hopefully a firmware update will fix it.

Me also- just bought the S2, and have noticed my phone falling off the network. When it happens, it is totally gone - "Emergency Calls Only". Rebooting the phone restores the connection right away.

Irritating because there is no outward sign when this happens - still showing signal strength, and sometimes still have data service, but can't make or take phone calls.

Anyone else have problem like this? I'm suspecting the SIM card, even though the SIM worked fine for a year in my previous Galaxy mini, and for years before that in a variety of telephones.

thats more or less exactly what i get on my gs2 (AIS )

i thought /assumed it was thailands 3G network was dodgy but it seems to be android devices only because my old phones 600 thb nokia never loses a bar of signal

I forgot to mention in my post - my phone is TRUE. If the same is happening to you with AIS service, then it kinda does point to a flaw with the phone. dam_n.

I think it might also have something to do with switching between 3G and non 3G towers.

In one location I am often, I seem to have a 3G tower and a non 3G tower fighting for attention. Sometimes I see 3G with good signal strength, sometimes I see Edge with good signal strength in the very same location. It switches maybe 50 times during the day.

And i also sometimes get that emergency calls only, but only in that one particular location.

Obviously a 600 Baht phone cannot have that isuue as non 3g capable.

This is not a flaw in the phone. I can't speak to every person's experience who's raised an issue here but for the OP the reason is the 3G data roaming agreement between AIS and TOT. There are some work-arounds, for example manually choosing 900 Mhz 3G (Band VIII) only (de-select 850, 1900, 2100).

From the dialpad enter *#*#197328640#*#* (maybe save this as a phonebook entry for future use) then Debug, then Phone Control, then Network Control, then Band Selection. then WCDMA Band.

• Like 1

This is not a flaw in the phone.

Perhaps I should re-phrase that. wink.png

http://code.google.c...detail?id=18336

Although I am not sure this issue is causing the OP's issue; I saw this Roaming issue on AIS with an SGS1.

It might help if people could list their service provider, make/model no., Android version and most importantly, the Baseband version

Edited by lomatopo

I'm never seeing the "R" roaming signal, and always showing full signal strength. The TRUE Connection just vanishes and leaves me with option for "Emergency Calls Only". I usually have no idea when this has failed until I get emails telling me that my phone isn't working from people trying to call me.

Provider: True Move

Phone: Samsung Galaxy 2, GT-I9100RWATHL

Android: 4.0.3

Baseband: I9100DXLP9

Grateful for any input that will help to solve this annoying problem.

I'm never seeing the "R" roaming signal, and always showing full signal strength. The TRUE Connection just vanishes and leaves me with option for "Emergency Calls Only". I usually have no idea when this has failed until I get emails telling me that my phone isn't working from people trying to call me.

Provider: True Move

Phone: Samsung Galaxy 2, GT-I9100RWATHL

Android: 4.0.3

Baseband: I9100DXLP9

Grateful for any input that will help to solve this annoying problem.

Do you have an I9100 or an I9100T? TrueMove or TrueMove H? Is this a new problem? Can you detail any history? Location dependent?

I am not familiar with how the interaction between TrueMove H and TrueMove works, that is to say when you are outside of TrueMove H coverage and then roll-over to TrueMove. There were quite a few reports on Thai forums regarding issues of this type in that call completion rates went to zero and SMSes were neither sent nor received. It is almost as though the networks lost track of you, and/or could locate you once you went from TM-H to TM. Or maybe it takes a while for the TM network to tell the TM-H network where you are? This is one, of many, reasons, why I did not change to TM-H permanently - I did trial a TM-H SIM for ~ 30 days and was extremely unhappy with the overall experience although the 3G was passable, and the only option in my temporary destination (Phrae).

I suspect you have a different issue from the OP

Do you have an I9100 or an I9100T? TrueMove or TrueMove H? Is this a new problem? Can you detail any history? Location dependent?

It is an I 9100 non T model. My service is TrueMove non H. New problem since I bought the SG2 two weeks ago. History - not really. It does seem to have increased in frequency- seemed to be once every day or 2 in the beginning, but now happens 2 or 3 times a day. Location seems to have no bearing, because it happens at home and office,

I can hear you telling me already that I have the wrong phone to use with TRUE, and the wrong SIm- need to upgrade to TrueMove H. To save a lot of typing, you can read my posts on another thread from here downward, which you provided the most plausible answer.

I agree that it is a different scenario from the OP- because I never see the "R" roaming icon.

Edited by bino

I'm not sure if this will help any others, but yesterday I set my phone (Galaxy Note) to WCDMA only.

Since then (24 now) it has not switched to the "TRUE" network once and I've never gone into roaming mode.

I get decent signal where I live, so I don't know why it would switch (and not switch back) before. But it seems to have solved my problem.

It is an I 9100 non T model. My service is TrueMove non H. New problem since I bought the SG2 two weeks ago. History - not really. It does seem to have increased in frequency- seemed to be once every day or 2 in the beginning, but now happens 2 or 3 times a day. Location seems to have no bearing, because it happens at home and office,

I can hear you telling me already that I have the wrong phone to use with TRUE, and the wrong SIm- need to upgrade to TrueMove H. To save a lot of typing, you can read my posts on another thread from here downward, which you provided the most plausible answer.

I agree that it is a different scenario from the OP- because I never see the "R" roaming icon.

OK, so you have TrueMove? Not sure what to say - perhaps it is related to the shut-down of the TrueMove Trial 3G network in Bangkok and some other areas - other than it may be time to change to a real service provider. wink.png

Edited by lomatopo

I don't believe this has anything to do with the TRUEMOVE "un-real" data service, because this is happening often enough when I am in office or at home where WiFi is connected and mobile data is deactivated.

I've got I-9100 non T model, I'm on AIS 1-2 call (prepaid) in Thailand and on Rogers network in Canada. Never ever had any problem with switching not being able to send/receive a call or SMS. It worked flawlessly in Singapore also, that's where I bought my S2.

I didn't read your other post, perhaps it was already suggested, but it might be your provider. Easiest way to find out is to get a prepaid 1-2 call SIM, put a 100 baht on it and just try.

post-111234-0-60476500-1339679498_thumb.

Edited by Shurup

Thanks for the input Shurup. Another SIM- that'll be my next step. I'm trying all of the permutations in settings right now. Currently shut down the 3g service, and selected GSM / Edge only. TRUEMOVE does continue to provide this service, so it will rule out Lomatopo's theory about the 3G being the problem if it loses the network in this configuration, which I am fully expecting.

Thanks for the input Shurup. Another SIM- that'll be my next step. I'm trying all of the permutations in settings right now. Currently shut down the 3g service, and selected GSM / Edge only. TRUEMOVE does continue to provide this service, so it will rule out Lomatopo's theory about the 3G being the problem if it loses the network in this configuration, which I am fully expecting.

new sim makes no differnce

i got a new one last week and it still drops signal randomly

new sim makes no differnce

i got a new one last week and it still drops signal randomly

I think the suggestion here was to try a SIM from another provider. Is that what you did? Or did you just get another SIM from AIS?

Way too many separate, at least three that I count, and distinct issues being raised on this thread.

I woke up this morning to a telephone that still had a network connection, which hasn't been the case for many days. After setting for GSM service instead of automatic selection, it has remained stable. I have switched it a few hours ago for WCDMA only, and it still hasn't fallen off the network yet.

I'm believing that Riggi's solution below is right on the money.

I'm not sure if this will help any others, but yesterday I set my phone (Galaxy Note) to WCDMA only.

Since then (24 now) it has not switched to the "TRUE" network once and I've never gone into roaming mode.

I get decent signal where I live, so I don't know why it would switch (and not switch back) before. But it seems to have solved my problem.

I also get a good signal at home and the phone is sitting on my desk unmoving all night when I am asleep, so like Riggi says, no understanding why the network would switch.

If my phone stays stable and this solves my problem, as it did for Riggi, then it suggests that there is a flaw in the Samsung Android 4.0.3 system, that is preventing these phones from managing the networks automatically in the default automatic mode.

YipYipYa123 - try it. see if it makes a difference for you like it did for us.

BTW- Thanks Riggi!

I popped a TrueMove SIM into my SGS2 (I9100/4.0.3), left it in GSM/WCDMA (Auto mode) and it stayed connected across Bangkok from Chit Lom to Bearing, switching between EDGE and HSDPA towers seamlessly..

I have been running this same SGS2 with 4.0.3 for a few weeks with my DTAC/Happy SIM and it switches between 2G and successfully and I never lose network connectivity.

I think YipYipYa123's issue is AIS/TOT roaming, not sure about Bino's but it seems to either be a TrueMove issue or a HW (phone) issue?

Not enough detail to hazard a guess on Riggi's issue?

post-9615-0-86118800-1339752252_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-53848300-1339752266_thumb.jp

Hi Lomatopo,

Looking at the specs of your phone, it is exactly the same as mine. The possible difference that I'm guessing is that your Sim is a TrueMove H..? I'm still using a non-H version, that I hate to give up as explained in the other thread.

My plan is to leave the phone in WCDMA only mode until tomorrow morning, when we are heading out of town for the weekend to the family home and no 3G coverage. I'll switch it back to Auto and see what happens when we are far enough out of the city to lose H signal. I suspect nothing / no problem while upcountry where there is no 3G and fewer cell towers, but willing to bet that the weirdness will return and the phone will fall off the network on Sunday night when we are back in the city.

As an aside- I'm curious to know how you get those screenshots. Is it an app? I've searched the market, bet they all seem to want a rooted phone.

Looking at the specs of your phone, it is exactly the same as mine. The possible difference that I'm guessing is that your Sim is a TrueMove H..? I'm still using a non-H version, that I hate to give up as explained in the other thread.

I popped a TrueMove SIM into my SGS2 (I9100/4.0.3),

Yes, the same HW and firmware as you, SIM is TrueMove as stated. I try to be consistent, using TrueMove or TrueMove H, rather than True, non-H, etc.

Since your previous phone worked fine, and my phone works fine, and you say there is no location-dependency (i.e it happens everywhere), I suspect an issue with TrueMove, or the potential shuttering of the TrueMove "trial" 3G network, or an interaction between TrueMove and TrueMove H, or your handset is faulty. Or it could be that TrueMove just sucks. Which they do of course, so forgive me for stating the obvious.

TrueMove is no longer marketing 3G, and I suspect they will still close this trial 3G network as they have said by "mid-year" so this may make your situation better rather than worse, albeit at 2G speeds?

There are several network monitoring tools in the Market: Antennas, GSM Signal Monitoring, OpenSignalMaps, etc. Not sure which require rooting?

Right - lots of variables in play here. I guess I need to test drive some other SIM cards to see which one plays nice with my phone (if any) so that I know which is best to subscribe when the trial period ends.

There are several network monitoring tools in the Market: Antennas, GSM Signal Monitoring, OpenSignalMaps, etc. Not sure which require rooting?

I wasn't referring to the monitoring tool- I was referring to the screenshot itself. How to do?

Interesting.

Even though I wasn't specifically looking for the monitoring apps, I decided to check out the ones mentioned.

I installed OpenSignalMaps from the play store. On opening it for the first time, it gave me a screen full of terms and conditions, that I clicked to agree without reading, like everyone does.

It then presented me with another warning screen:

Issue with the Galaxy S2

There is a known problem retrieving cell signal strength on the Galaxy S2, resulting from a bug in the version of Android on this phone. Please note: the strength readings for cellular signal may be erroneous. All other features should work correctly.

Help get this issue fixed by starring it as a problem here: http://code.google.com/p/android/

So- it provides some more corroboration / explanation that there is a flaw in Android on these phones.

I woulda posted a screenshot if I knew how!

Edited by bino

Bino,

Press Home button and while holding it, press the power button briefly, it will take a screen shot. You're got to do it quick though as if yoiu hold the home button for too long the Recent apps menu would come up. Screen shots will be stored on the sd card in the screencapture folder and will appear in the gallery.