40 B Tuk Tuk Ride! Do I Win A Prize?

UKJASE

sit down for this one guys, as it might surprise you, but the other day i managed to get a tuk tuk ride home, in hua hin, for 40B!

the tuk tuk guy pulled up and said "where u go?" i pointed down the road and said "home, soi 102"

i said "how much", he said "up to u" i said "40B" and he said "ok"

it was only about 2km ride, but it felt great to be back in a tuk tuk without paying through the nose

can any one else to claim to have a tuk tuk ride anywhere near this price, or do i win a prize??

maybe deflation is coming to the tuk tuk world

PS i gave him 50B note and he promptly pocketed the 10B tip without being offered it, but i still walked away a happy man

sit down for this one guys, as it might surprise you, but the other day i managed to get a tuk tuk ride home, in hua hin, for 40B!

the tuk tuk guy pulled up and said "where u go?" i pointed down the road and said "home, soi 102"

i said "how much", he said "up to u" i said "40B" and he said "ok"

it was only about 2km ride, but it felt great to be back in a tuk tuk without paying through the nose

can any one else to claim to have a tuk tuk ride anywhere near this price, or do i win a prize??

PS i gave him 50B note and he promptly pocketed the 10B tip without being offered it, but i still walked away a happy man

I got offered Hua Hin to BKK for 20b...... but I declined.

The falang guy sitting behind the handle bars was pissed out of his brain:D

sent from my Wellcom A90+

Not a 40 baht fare but how about 80 minute Tuk Tuk ride followed by the guy waiting 5 hours for me, then 80 minute ride back home all for 600 baht. I thought that was a gret deal from a tuk tuk especially as he had to come 30 minutes from base to pick me up.

[ quote..] can any one else to claim to have a tuk tuk ride anywhere near this price, or do i win a prize??

Possibly 'cause he lived in the same soi and was on his way home, any where lese 200+++ B.

Edited by sportsman69

Even the tuk tuk drivers know, that no one lives in soi 102 by choice.w00t.gif He was just doing the right buddhist thing wai.gif

soi 102 the place to live now mate! we go a new concrete road, which means getting to petchkasem road takes 2 minutes..... 5 mins to market village, and 5 mins to the beach..... and not a drop of water round our ankles, due to new drainage system (yet to be tested)..... soi 102 is where its at :o)

[ quote..]

Possibly 'cause he lived in the same soi and was on his way home, any where lese 200+++ B.

no. it was early in the day so i dont think he was on his way home...... he was just mooching around looking for business..... do i get a prize, or can someone match this price or beat it? am i hua hin's finest haggler who will not contribute to price rises in the town? cowboy.gif

5 mins to Market Village then 15 minutes back to Soi 102..................................coffee1.gif

not if you come out the back of market village tykey, and come via soi 94..... 8 mins tops (although the wife may bounce off the back seat due to the potholes, so always good to keep an eye in the rear view mirror)

I had a friend who needed a tuk tuk the other night and we were not in a part of town where you would normally see them but one appeared out of no where. A bit of luck I thought. I hailed the fellow and told him my friend needed a ride of about 1 Km and asked the cost. He gave me the regular price of 100 Bt. I offered 50 Bt as it was a very short ride. He would not accept and wanted the 100 Bt.

I sent him on and no baht for him. I'll never understand that 'cause it's not like he was going to get another fare and wouldn't you rather have something than nothing?

If you got a ride for 40 Bt, or 50 if it makes any difference, then I would say you did well.

it seems like the whole tuk tuk business is governed by one central body that will not allow anyone within it's "union" to accept fares less than quadruple what they should be.......

it is like there is no free market, and no exceptions to the rules (set by whom i dont know)

this results in queues of empty tuk tuk sitting waiting for faranags, and farangs only.......

it is so rare to see thai people using this very thai form of transport....... seems a real shame......

on a plus note - i did hear from a friend who knows a tuk tuk driver, and she regularly pulls in 70,000B+ plus / month in high season

You paid 50 baht, not 40.

the 10 baht was my tip (it's mentioned in the tuk tuk world of travel rules mate - all money over the fare is tip (the tuk tuk driver will consider this change a tip, unless the passenger shows an open palm to the driver, and states "no tip"))

Are you talking about a Phuket style tuk tuk or a Bangkok (real) style tuk tuk?

I am always shocked at the low tuk tuk fares I get relative to Phuket fares anytime I get off of Phuket. Can't remember exact fares, but I seem to recall them being about 1/3 Phukets prices. In Hatyai (Phuket style tuk tuk) a mate and I got a steller price only to learn that we had to go the drivers route and make multiple stops to pickup/drop off other passengers.

At the other end of the spectrum, I had a new experience the other day. 500B for motosai from Patong to Rawaii for one Thai passenger. I think she forgot to negotiate the price before hand. Complained in Thai "normally 150B" but he had a good laugh and answered in perfect English. "Ohhh nooo, long way, long way." <deleted>.

• 2 weeks later...

Even the tuk tuk drivers know, that no one lives in soi 102 by choice.w00t.gif He was just doing the right buddhist thing wai.gif

I'm not familiar with soi numbers in Hua Hin only stayed there 3 or 4 times, but ,soi41, thats funny.Thanks.

Yes agree, that road will take another year, what a mess. Surprised Tukies go up there.

Who wants to take a Tukie anyway.