Bringing Nice Watches To Thailand

eaglelex

This has to be the absolute worst piece of advice i have read in 8 years on this forum.

Good grief.

I agree. Could be charged with a serious offence.

Fine then. Just shove $30k worth of watches into your luggage then. If it's your stuff do what you want with it. As for MY stuff I would never do that. All I know is that on all of my trips to Thailand since 2000 I have always brought in my Rolex submariner. I have always had it on my wrist. And I have never had any problems with it, nor have ever been asked to pay any customs duty on it as a person is actually allowed to bring in some jewelry duty free.

If you are talking about being charged with the serious offense, the serious offense stems from bringing in $30k worth of watches at one time without declaring or paying customs duty. To avoid this you have 3 choices (1) leave it at home (2) declare it and pay taxes or (3) bring it in and don't declare it to avoid the taxes. If you choose to pursue option 3 (which I am not advocating for anyone to do by the way) then be aware that customs can and does x-ray your luggage (though not your body) and if it is caught by customs you can face being levied with taxes, having the watches seized, be criminally charged or all three.

With that I shall leave the all knowing, all seeing bendix to answer further questions.

This has to be the absolute worst piece of advice i have read in 8 years on this forum.

Good grief.

I agree. Could be charged with a serious offence.

Fine then. Just shove $30k worth of watches into your luggage then. If it's your stuff do what you want with it. As for MY stuff I would never do that. All I know is that on all of my trips to Thailand since 2000 I have always brought in my Rolex submariner. I have always had it on my wrist. And I have never had any problems with it, nor have ever been asked to pay any customs duty on it as a person is actually allowed to bring in some jewelry duty free.

If you are talking about being charged with the serious offense, the serious offense stems from bringing in $30k worth of watches at one time without declaring or paying customs duty. To avoid this you have 3 choices (1) leave it at home (2) declare it and pay taxes or (3) bring it in and don't declare it to avoid the taxes. If you choose to pursue option 3 (which I am not advocating for anyone to do by the way) then be aware that customs can and does x-ray your luggage (though not your body) and if it is caught by customs you can face being levied with taxes, having the watches seized, be criminally charged or all three.

With that I shall leave the all knowing, all seeing bendix to answer further questions.

Your initial advice of wearing all the watches at once is a million miles away from your personal case of wearing your rolex when you travel.

I too wear my very desirable watch when I travel. Of course I do. It's my watch, and it's completely normal behavour for a person to be wearing a watch when the pass through customs. Nobody in their right mind would ever expect to be stopped by customs.

But your suggestion of wearing all the OPs watches is plain daft and will obviously attract the attention of customs officials.

Plus, I would suggest that wearing half a dozen watches is more likely to attract the attention of customs officials than having them in your suitcase.

At the end of the day, if the OP can prove they are his personal watches, has receipts which showed they were collected over a long period then he might want to bring them in.

Alternatively bring them in a couple of watches at a time.

It's very simple.