Lady Gaga In Hot Water Over Bangkok Concert

webfact

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

what is funny is if you look at the various video parts on Youtube, she is doing nothing but praising Thais and their culture during the whole flag displaying incident. I think the OP is dwelling on the flag but according to other news reports, the minster forwarded a summary of all complaints of her behavior and it wasn't specifically about the flag. She has been getting complaints from a number of countries where there are many people who hold more conservative values. Nothing new here, this has been going on with music and fashion all over the world for a very long time. I'm sure there were those back in the day who thought Beethoven was the spawn of the devil.

Not sure about Beethoven. Maybe Galileo or D H Lawrence might have made better examples.

...maybe we'll see a complaint filed against the culture minister.

You clearly don't understand Thai culture! bah.gif

What cannot be explained and does not make people loose face I suppose... If its not that then pls explain it

There is absolutely no rational dispute it was the Thai Flag used at the concert. Rather that just looking at this one part of the video. why not look at this part (specifically at the 38 second mark)

Edit: be kind of messed up if she used the flag of the nation in every other country she visited but somehow got the Thai flag wrong. This certainly would have cause a different complaint ;-)

All I see is this flag hung upside down

NETH0001.GIF

Are you just being stubborn or do you really believe she didn't use the Thai flag (but used the Netherlands' flag) while performing in Thailand?

This would be an even bigger insult (and a valid one imo) to many more citizens if her people couldn't even get the flag right.

It is doubtful she even saw the flag placement before going on stage.

More likely is that

NONE OF THE THAI CONTRACTED STAGE WORKERS said anything,

to anyone, and corrected what would have been obvious to them.

We can't blame her for a simple stage crew mistake,

that OTHER Thai members of the staff could have caught before it went on stage.

There was no mistake. It was the Thai flag but if it wasn't she would need to take responsibility publicly for the person who bought the incorrect flag ... but all kind of moot because it was a Thai flag.

To quote Eleanor Roosevelt, "Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

David

And most people have small minds, the majority in my country (the US) have small minds indeed, like many Thai's, they know more about "Superstars" then they know about current events.

Unknown to Farangs, the colors has great meaning: Red=nation, white=Buddhism, but the most important of all (hence the double width) is the blue sandwich in the middle represents our KING, being protected both side by Buddhism and all the Thai people

Thai Flag Meaning:

The red stripes represent the blood spilt to maintain Thailand's independence. The white stands for purity and is the color of Buddhism which is the country's main religion. Blue is Thailand's national color and it represents the Thai monarchy. The blue is also used to honor Thailand's World War I allies, Great Britain, France, United States and Russia, who all had red, white and blue flags.

Thai Flag History:

The current Thai flag was adopted on September 28, 1917, making it one of the world's older flags. From the mid-19th century until 1916, Thailand, which was called Siam until 1939, used a red based flag with a white elephant on it. That flag was replaced in 1916 with a red-white-red-white-red horizontal striped flag which was modified in 1917, when the blue center replaced red.

The story goes that during a flood King Vajiravudh (Rama VI) saw the flag hanging upside-down, and to prevent this from happening again created a new flag which was symmetrical.

http://en.wikipedia....lag_of_Thailand

http://www.worldflag...iland-flag.aspx

ok,.......so its about 300 yrs YOUNGER than the union flag {union jack} then , relatively new i would say .

quote name='Nisa' timestamp='1339828946' post='5395041'

There is absolutely no rational dispute it was the Thai Flag used at the concert. Rather that just looking at this one part of the video. why not look at this part (specifically at the 38 second mark)

Edit: be kind of messed up if she used the flag of the nation in every other country she visited but somehow got the Thai flag wrong. This certainly would have cause a different complaint ;-)

NETH0001.GIF

Are you just being stubborn or do you really believe she didn't use the Thai flag (but used the Netherlands' flag) while performing in Thailand?

This would be an even bigger insult (and a valid one imo) to many more citizens if her people couldn't even get the flag right.

More likely is that

There was no mistake. It was the Thai flag but if it wasn't she would need to take responsibility publicly for the person who bought the incorrect flag ... but all kind of moot because it was a Thai flag.

I was meaning if they put it on upside down.

Very likely someone didn't want to correct their 'higher up' and said nothing.

It was the right flag, and it didn't touch the ground.

NETH0001.GIF

More likely is that

Listen, the thai flag can't be hung upside down. It's impossible. It looks the same upside down as it does rightside up. It's symmetrical.

thailand-flag.gif

Edited by Jayman
  • Like 1

I didn't read all the posts, but have to say: I listen to Lady Gaga. I'm a 60 yr old who's played in dozens of bar bands since I was 16. They girl is GOOD at what she does. About half her songs are pretty well written, and her voice kicks ass.

As for the ridiculous statement by Thai officials: it shows their insecurity about Thailand (similar to Muslims getting livid about any affront to their religion), and most of all, it compels many of us, who would have never noticed the faux pas, to now sit up and take notice.

I'll tell you what offends me, and is equivalent to pooping on the Thai flag: It's trashing natural parts of Thailand. It's widespread and indicative of how many Thais don't give a hoot about tossing trash everywhere. Either that, of they're just too brain-addled to know what they're doing.

• Like 1

To quote Eleanor Roosevelt, "Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

David

And most people have small minds, the majority in my country (the US) have small minds indeed, like many Thai's, they know more about "Superstars" then they know about current events.

Uhm, I would think US as a whole is more up in current events than any other country as a whole. Why do you think we have so dam_n many 24 hour news channels? People tune in and watch all day long. We have one E! channel for entertainment news and most if it's programming is comedy.

People so apt to bash US. I agree certain things are messed up here, but that us the human race in general. Those that bash are generally those that failed to live the American dream for one reason or another or are overwhelmed by the competitiveness of the American economic system and job market.

Thailand serious has it's head in the sand about both current and historical events. How can a society have no clue about Nazi regime? Apparently, Thais have issues as to how long ago US became an independent country or when Thai flag designed according to some posters here.

Having a political system focusing on whether a stage prop flag used by Lady GaGa touched the ground in light of the serious dysfunction present in the country at all levels demonstrates interesting intellectual processes.

• Like 1

There was no mistake. It was the Thai flag..... but if it wasn't she would need to take responsibility publicly for the person who bought the incorrect flag ... but all kind of moot because it was a Thai flag.

What is this, a redux of 'The Emporer's New Clothes' ? That was not the Thai flag (in the video). The Culture Minister and his advisers and Nisa need to take another look at the Thai flag, so they can get a reminder of what it looks like.

Unknown to Farangs, the colors has great meaning: Red=nation, white=Buddhism, but the most important of all (hence the double width) is the blue sandwich in the middle represents our KING, being protected both side by Buddhism and all the Thai people

Thai Flag Meaning:

The red stripes represent the blood spilt to maintain Thailand's independence. The white stands for purity and is the color of Buddhism which is the country's main religion. Blue is Thailand's national color and it represents the Thai monarchy. The blue is also used to honor Thailand's World War I allies, Great Britain, France, United States and Russia, who all had red, white and blue flags.

Thai Flag History:

The current Thai flag was adopted on September 28, 1917, making it one of the world's older flags. From the mid-19th century until 1916, Thailand, which was called Siam until 1939, used a red based flag with a white elephant on it. That flag was replaced in 1916 with a red-white-red-white-red horizontal striped flag which was modified in 1917, when the blue center replaced red.

The story goes that during a flood King Vajiravudh (Rama VI) saw the flag hanging upside-down, and to prevent this from happening again created a new flag which was symmetrical.

ok,.......so its about 300 yrs YOUNGER than the union flag {union jack} then , relatively new i would say .

Actually I think you are off about 200 years.

Nation flags are often revised just as the US flag originates from the 1700s, the current version is only about 50 years old.

Denmark (1219) has the oldest flag of any nation and the UK (1801) is 3rd. Thailand (1917) is 38th which puts it in the top 20% of oldest flags ... which would not be relatively new as national flags go.

Listen, the thai flag can't be hung upside down. It's impossible. It looks the same upside down as it does rightside up. It's symmetrical.

thailand-flag.gif

Maybe it was inside out. ;-)

• Like 1

There was no mistake. It was the Thai flag..... but if it wasn't she would need to take responsibility publicly for the person who bought the incorrect flag ... but all kind of moot because it was a Thai flag.

What is this, a redux of 'The Emporer's New Clothes' ? That was not the Thai flag (in the video). The Culture Minister and his advisers and Nisa need to take another look at the Thai flag, so they can get a reminder of what it looks like.

I think you are the only one who appears to seriously being saying they didn't use a Thai flag while in Thailand and instead broke with the show design and instead of using the national flag of the country they are in opted to display another nation's flag. It is without doubt a Thai flag folded in a way to hang from the back of the contraption without touching the ground. I suggest you freeze frame at the 38th second as well as just use some common sense/logic ...

Edited by Nisa

More likely is that

thailand-flag.gif

Upside down, right side up, inside out, who cares.

She was trying to be nice and show deference to the Thai culture, but some are too dense to see it or too whack to accept it.

Not like she pulled a Sinead who ripped picture of Pope up on live TV which she incidentally had good reason or right to do under the circumstances.

Lady should not apologize. Thailand should apologize to her for giving her so much <deleted> and letting everyone pirate her copy righted material so effortlessly and without any consequence.

Edited by ttelise

Yea, Lada Gaga is the one who gives Thailand a bad name.

Forget the fact that Thailand is politically unstable. Forget the fact it's the largest brothel in the world. Forget the fact it has massive human rights issues and is deeply involved in human trafficking. Forget the fact the road ways are death zones. Forget the fact that child prostitution and child labor slavery happens here at an unprecedented level. Forget the corruption. Forget how many tourists are killed here every year. Forget the fact that they just had to cancel the police test because all of them were cheating. Forget the fact that their education system is one of the worst on the planet. But Lady Gaga.... SHE is giving Thailand a bad name.

Clowns. All of them.

• Like 2

Perhaps the minister would like to join herpost-9891-0-37232300-1339847049_thumb.jppost-9891-0-13886900-1339847087_thumb.jp in the hot water.

Gaga just needs to send Thai Mistress of Culture some cookies and all will be well. Cookies? I want me cookies!

Edited by ttelise

Forget the fact that Thailand is politically unstable. Forget the fact it's the largest brothel in the world. Forget the fact it has massive human rights issues and is deeply involved in human trafficking. Forget the fact the road ways are death zones. Forget the fact that child prostitution and child labor slavery happens here at an unprecedented level. Forget the corruption. Forget how many tourists are killed here every year. Forget the fact that they just had to cancel the police test because all of them were cheating. Forget the fact that their education system is one of the worst on the planet. But Lady Gaga.... SHE is giving Thailand a bad name.

Clowns. All of them.

I've been to a few circus shows in my lifetime. I think you're doing all clowns a disservice with this analogy. :(

I think you are the only one who appears to seriously being saying they didn't use a Thai flag while in Thailand and instead broke with the show design and instead of using the national flag of the country they are in opted to display another nation's flag. It is without doubt a Thai flag folded in a way to hang from the back of the contraption without touching the ground. I suggest you freeze frame at the 38th second as well as just use some common sense/logic ...

That is not a Thai flag. There are not enough lines in it.

The Thai flag is: red- white-blue-white-red

Her flag is: blue-white-red

Edited by PoodMaiDai

Clowns. All of them.

I've been to a few circus shows in my lifetime. I think you're doing all clowns a disservice with this analogy. :(

I just want to see more pictures of the Thai Mistress of Culture. Whah, whah, whah. Visions of cookies come to mind.

That is not a Thai flag. There are not enough lines in it.

The Thai flag is: red- white-blue-white-red

Her flag is: blue-white-red

2ppgdq8.jpg

Edited by Nisa

Thai Flag Meaning:

Thai Flag History:

Actually I think you are off about 200 years.

Nation flags are often revised just as the US flag originates from the 1700s, the current version is only about 50 years old.

Denmark (1219) has the oldest flag of any nation and the UK (1801) is 3rd. Thailand (1917) is 38th which puts it in the top 20% of oldest flags ... which would not be relatively new as national flags go.

I read that website you linked to Nisa, it is quite interesting, some good info on flag origins, and they were very careful about using the word 'older' rather than 'oldest'

The current version of Old Glory is around 50 years old, because that is when the last star was added, remember Hawaii 50, book him Dano, that stuff, but the pure essence of that flag has changed very little since 1777, The Union Jack actually started out in life in the 1600's and has changed very little since then.

The Thai flag is relatively old when compared to the 30 odd new countries that took on new identities in the 90's after the USSR couldn't maintain the illusion of a unified force any longer, but when compared to other nations, especially the sea faring ones, it's just a kid.

• Like 1

And another thing..... if this Minister for Culture knows her job so well, she would do well to do some research in to how the thumbs up gesture used to be very offensive in Thailand.

Globalisation, you can't ignore it, but if you are going to speak out against it, at least do your homework.

Especially if it's your job.

post-15958-0-58734200-1339868791.jpg