Lady Gaga In Hot Water Over Bangkok Concert

webfact

The Thais themselves are SO sensitive to other people's feelings

Remember the Nazi thing last year?

http://www.dailymail...e-Thailand.html

Ummm, but, those aren't nazis, they are ummm, uhh, celebrants of the religious significance of the swastika, yea, that's it. These students were celebrating the peaceful signficance of swastika and swastika lovers everywhere. They showing reverence of the Thai people for the swastika and all that it represents. From a cultural perspective the swastika has so much, ummm more importance and relevance than does lady Gaga and her evil message of love, understanding, tolerance and creativity. Yes, indeed, the swastika partiers were contributing far more to the culture and stellar image of Thaialnd than that horrid Gaga woman with her shout out to the icky kathoeys. I mean seriously, what's this Gaga woman thinking, with her attempt to treat katoeys as human beings. Thai culture says katoey is only good for menial jobs and to serve as a point of ridicule and to be exploited. Sheesh, this is such a no brainer......

• Like 1

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How exactly does displaying the Thai flag on stage disrespect anyone? She didn't deface it or put her feet on it did she? I guess I don't understand the basis for this complaint. Would someone care to explain it.

Farang and Thais wear clothes displaying flags of many nations without it being disrespectful.

I cannot see how this non-story could ever be written about an unnamed spokesman making superfluous comments. but TIT.

post-15958-0-58734200-1339868791.jpg

I don't know about anyone else, but I found this photo to be more arousing than Gaga on the motorbike. The thumb did it for me. It's like she's looking at me and saying all systems go and that I am a super hansum man. Yowzies, who needs Gaga in Bangkok when I can get me some of this.

Yeah, she is pretty hot for a feminine sumo wrestler.

Cookies . . . I want cookies

It does seem rather odd that none of these Thai critics have ever been to Soi Cowboy, Nana, Patpong. They certainly do not need a foreigner like Lady Gaga who I think is goregous, and in the entertainment industry to insult their country. This is about show business and nothing more.

I don't think Thailand needs any help from foreginers to make their country look bad to insult their own country, a few of them do a pretty good job on their own. One only needs to read the editorials written by some very astute Thai journalists in both the Nation News Paper or the Bangkok Post that write about they very own country.

And some of literate English speaking Thais that write in the Bangkok Post.

• Like 1

If the Culture Minister wants to find something which desecrates Thailand, she need look no farther than the beaches of Thailand. Today, I walked a beach which fronts several world-renown 5 star hotels. Every square meter had broken bottles. It was low tide. At high tide, rich tourists could be wading in to the sea and getting their feet slashed. Actually, I care more for sea turtles (are there any left to breed at Thailand's beaches?). The turtles eat plastic (thinking it's jellyfish) - then choke and die. The turds who dump trash and broken bottles all around Thailand's beaches are desecrating the country big time. But it's too far outside the box for Thai authorities to fathom, so nothing will be done. Plus, it doesn't involve any of the man-made symbols (flags, icons, etc) that Thais so easily get offended about.

• Like 1

Many national flags sport those three colours. If the ministry is that concerned about the mistreatment of a national flag, I would suggest they start with market stalls which sell socks decorated with flag logos. Considering the Thai view of that part of the anatomy, the wearing of national flags on the feet should, in terms of national sentiment, come way below the sight of one trailing in the wind. But then again . . . I don't think the Thai flag is used in the decoration of socks.

I don't know about anyone else, but I found this photo to be more arousing than Gaga on the motorbike. The thumb did it for me. It's like she's looking at me and saying all systems go and that I am a super hansum man. Yowzies, who needs Gaga in Bangkok when I can get me some of this.

What an idiot she is .

Thaddeus and Nisa, since I keep getting told that I have posted too many blocks in replying to your posts directly, I'll need to post separately. So . . . In point of fact, the Union Jack is not a national flag but an amalgam of the national flags of England [which includes the Principality of Wales; although Wales does have its own flag which is not incorporated into the Union Jack], Scotland and Ireland. While Ireland is, of course, now separated into Southern and Northern, leaving Northern Ireland with the old Cross of St Patrick and, hence, technically flagless and reliant on the Union Jack, each of England's and Scotland's national flags dates back to the 16th century.

Edited by metisdead
Font size reset to the default forum size for better readability.

'When in Rome, do as the Romans do"

I am going to have to go against the flow here. All the Thai's want is respect to be shown against their monarchy, buddhist religion and cultural/national issues. They do go too far and are unnecessarily paranoid about some things but there is nothing wrong about being a proud patriotic nation!!!

I think you mean 'to be shown for their monarchy, etc'. But what's good for the goose is good for the gander. Thais want respect for such as their national flag, they need to remember it works both ways. And the Thais have oft demonstrated a tendency - many times through ignorance, but that is no excuse - to disrespect, misuse or misrepresent other countries national paraphernalia: the nazi-themed school presentation is one example that comes to mind.

And there is a vast difference between proud patriotism and nationalistic jingoism.

• Like 1

i'd be offended seeing her in a skimpy outfit too.

Why would you be offended are you an ugly middle age woman?

She looks pretty good to me...

There seem to be any number of responses to the dickyknee post that are missing its tongue-in-cheek humour. Ah, well . . .

Thaddeus and Nisa, since I keep getting told that I have posted too many blocks in replying to your posts directly, I'll need to post separately. So . . . In point of fact, the Union Jack is not a national flag but an amalgam of the national flags of England [which includes the Principality of Wales; although Wales does have its own flag which is not incorporated into the Union Jack], Scotland and Ireland. While Ireland is, of course, now separated into Southern and Northern, leaving Northern Ireland with the old Cross of St Patrick and, hence, technically flagless and reliant on the Union Jack, each of England's and Scotland's national flags dates back to the 16th century.

It is the flag of the UK. The current version dating back as stated above.

Ms. Ga-ga isn't actually in any hot water. She never was about this. She's enjoying her fabulous life outside Thailand. However, If I were her I would advise her to snub her little Thai monsters in future unless and until the BIG Thai monsters wake up and smell the global coffee.

• Like 1

I am not a lady Gaga Fan and find her diasgusting , rude and ridiclous, but the events organizer knew what to expect. As far as the other remarks concerning the flag etc is concerned let him who is innocent throw the first stone ! Get rid of organized Thai and Foreign Crime and make Thailand amazing once again, a safe tourist haven !

The ministry noted that the Thai national flag consisted of three colours -- red for the nation, blue for the revered monarchy and white for religion.

Hmm how many country's have the same color scheme.. Australia, UK, NZ and America. This is no more offensive then your Nazi school parades or merchandising shops, get over it we did.

Ms. Ga-ga isn't actually in any hot water. She never was about this. She's enjoying her fabulous life outside Thailand. However, If I were her I would advise her to snub her little Thai monsters in future unless and until the BIG Thai monsters wake up and smell the global coffee.

What's she going to do when she needs her Rolex serviced. :(

'When in Rome, do as the Romans do"

I am going to have to go against the flow here. All the Thai's want is respect to be shown against their monarchy, buddhist religion and cultural/national issues. They do go too far and are unnecessarily paranoid about some things but there is nothing wrong about being a proud patriotic nation!!!

Actually, there is a lot wrong with fervent nationalism, when it manifests as xenophobia, jingoism, narrowmindedness, and an imagined, unjustified sense of superiority over others.

I wouldn't be too harsh on the posters here. Not all of them express a faux superiority over Thais and Thailand.

Not sure what is more silly ... getting upset and complaining about what is perceived (but not likely the case) to be disrespect shown by a performer towards ones country and/or its symbols or getting upset and complaining about an entire country and its people because a few people who got upset and complained originally.

You're not the computer whizz kid from the Italian Job are you? BH made a brilliant portrayal.

I can understand the disrespect towards the flag if it was trailing behind her and being dragged along the floor.

On the other hand, EVRYBODY knows that fake Rolex's are easily purchased on the street on regular stalls. If they don't like the reputation, then they should do more about preventing it.....

I can understand the disrespect towards the flag if it was trailing behind her and being dragged along the floor.

On the other hand, EVRYBODY knows that fake Rolex's are easily purchased on the street on regular stalls. If they don't like the reputation, then they should do more about preventing it.....

I don't even think that bike actually moves with her on it. I also think that they have the flags (in each country) attached at the bottom and top to prevent them from touching the ground. But agree. Being from the US, if some outsider or even liberal local entertainer disrespected the flag in a rock show, there would be huge outrage. Personally I could care less and have no motivation to disrespect the flag or be upset if somebody else does but to each their own.

Bottom line is nobody likes an outsider complaining about their own problems and when you have older and/or more conservative people around they will always find ways to complain about the current fashion or trends in music .. especially when it comes packaged in a semi-nude foul mouthed women. Bottom line is Life Goes On ... just not as fast for us on this thread ;-)

Edited by Nisa

To quote Eleanor Roosevelt, "Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

David

I say "The size of a brain does not equate to the actual intelligence within it and for one to discuss 'ideas', one must also discuss the people who thought of them in the first place".

Replying to Reasonableman: Pursuant to your email, I do agree about the point you made about over zealous Nationalism.

Some people have contempt for their own Nation, and praise other Nations, not realizing that they are becoming slaves of others.

Then there are some people who only praise their own nation, & have contempt for others, never realizing they could be making ,

ememies more powerful then they.

The Wise person praisez the good in all Nations and in all people seeking the fulfuilment of the good, and not building aggression.

Best Regards. Jerry Steve