Learning Bicycle Maintenance

jmdf103

i'm currently based in thailand and considering buying a bicycle to go touring south east asia. Only problem is i don't have even the basic skill is bike repair/maintenance. I dont even know how to fix a puncture, and surely this will happen at least once while touring.

Would a book such as "Zinn and the art of bike maintenance" get me through a bike tour?

Ideally i would like to learn these skills prior to setting off, does anyone know of a bicycle maintenance course i could go on to learn this in thailand?

thanks

I use www.sheldonbrown.com for many repairs, but that may be too advanced.

If you google something like "bicycle repair video" you will get hundreds of videos on how to repair and maintain your bike.

http://bicycletutor.com/ has dozens of videos and will keep you busy for hours.

http://www.velotique.com/clinic-r.htm is also good.

No worries, they run bike maintenance courses all the time here, they also have marmite butties for snack time and pudding, peas chips and gravy for lunch…………………………. Sorry, no offence meant …… But Thais don’t see why they should change oil in their car……………..Ever, (or put their car lights on at night)…..So why the hell would they run a bike maintenance Couse? Whose is going to go……You…and me? That’s it.

It’s not the Thai way…..Go to shop …Tell them what’s wrong……Pick up 2 hours later, pay….get home…………………Next day ride and the frigging thing falls apart……It’s the Thai why!!!!

Don’t fight it…..or you’ll be told to go home……..Dam Farang………..

I think what ‘el jefe’ say’s is as close as you’re gonna get in Thailand.

Enjoy!!!!

Tonto

• 3 weeks later...

Moderators - why not pin el jefe's response in this forum, please.

Also, if someone can give me some tips can pin .pdfs of bike maintenance books here. AA