Diabetic Test Strips

crocken

when ye need the strips ye just gotta have them and just be glad that they are available but thb560 per 25 sounds excessive...there are many BG meters to choose from and just find the strips that are the cheapest and most available and select the BG meter accordingly...I've gone thru 3 different meters in 12 years of being a type 2 diabetic...

the best prices for diabetic supplies and everything else pharmacutical is the pharmacy on the corner of Ekkamai and Soi 26. I get One Touch strips there cheaper then Boots or any pace else. One example is Physio Cream A-1, pharmacy in Vila Thong Lor it cost B1,000.00+, Boots outside Vila it is B890.00 (I think) and at Ekkamai Soi 26 B680.00. If you plan on purchasing a lot of times ask about the Membership program. Not sure the details but when they punch my name in the computer I get a discounted price.

I bought an "Easy Glucose" meter in January this year because test strips to my glucose meter were no longer available. It has the cheapest strips - if you test often this is the most important consideration.

Although it's a pain to have to buy a new meter, this new one saves me 100 baht per 25 strips, so I'm already half way to covering the cost of the new meter in 5 months.

Depending on how quickly you go through a pack of strips, it may be worthwhile buying a new meter.

Edited by tropo

the best prices for diabetic supplies and everything else pharmacutical is the pharmacy on the corner of Ekkamai and Soi 26. I get One Touch strips there cheaper then Boots or any pace else. One example is Physio Cream A-1, pharmacy in Vila Thong Lor it cost B1,000.00+, Boots outside Vila it is B890.00 (I think) and at Ekkamai Soi 26 B680.00. If you plan on purchasing a lot of times ask about the Membership program. Not sure the details but when they punch my name in the computer I get a discounted price.

yeah...the 'One Touch' BG meter system is reasonably priced and widely available but you have to be constantly aware of availability...I was in Vietnam and then 'Accu-check' became the best option...just nail down yer sources and availability which can be hard to do sometimes...in Vietnam I could only get BG test strips in Hanoi or HCMC as the choice was limited and there was no Mixtard 30, only Humulin insulin vials with a primitive injection arrangement...what a drag...

and be aware that in the west a doctor's script is required to purchase diabetes medication and equipment at significant cost (USD600 to get a script in the US and GBP70 in the UK) where as in most civilised places you can obtain what you need OTC...when available...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

yeah...the 'One Touch' BG meter system is reasonably priced and widely available but you have to be constantly aware of availability...

Is that a little blue pencil-like meter? "One Touch Horizon"?

I had to ditch that in January because I could no longer get the test strips in Pattaya.

yeah...the 'One Touch' BG meter system is reasonably priced and widely available but you have to be constantly aware of availability...

Is that a little blue pencil-like meter? "One Touch Horizon"?

I had to ditch that in January because I could no longer get the test strips in Pattaya.

nah...I'm talking about the 'One Touch Ultra' BG meter with a small screen and storage for readings...about the same size as for other BG meters that use the usual test strips...

'Accu-check' is also worth investigating...a mate that lives in Pattaya always uses this product:

remember that availability of the test strips is the big issue with these devices...

good luck and all the best...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Yes test strips are a serious issue here - I bought Accu-check model "Aviva" for wife and never could find test strips here so had to order from UK. It was better than the One-Touch in my use in that very little blood was required for successful reading.

Yes test strips are a serious issue here - I bought Accu-check model "Aviva" for wife and never could find test strips here so had to order from UK. It was better than the One-Touch in my use in that very little blood was required for successful reading.

yeah...the Accu-check only requires a small drop whereas the One Touch requires a significant amount for an accurate reading...something to think about when selecting a BG meter...

the spring loaded lancing apparatus snaps into action and then tutsi (who is a pussy) sez 'ouch!'...

yeah...the Accu-check only requires a small drop whereas the One Touch requires a significant amount for an accurate reading...something to think about when selecting a BG meter...

the spring loaded lancing apparatus snaps into action and then tutsi (who is a pussy) sez 'ouch!'...

I'm surprised that this would even be a consideration. I lance and then squeeze to get a big drop every time I test.

Do you guys change the lancet often? They recommend it should be changed every test. I change it maybe once every 6 months. When it gets blunt I just increase the spring pressure to max.

I'm surprised that this would even be a consideration. I lance and then squeeze to get a big drop every time I test.

Do you guys change the lancet often? They recommend it should be changed every test. I change it maybe once every 6 months. When it gets blunt I just increase the spring pressure to max.

I change the lancet about every month as I like to keep the discomfort to a minimum...I have a pal that never changes the needle on his daily Mixtard 30 but changes the lancet every time and I don't understand...

the nieces line up and watch with fascination when I inject insulin and then after, I hold up the injection apparatus like a mad doctor and then they scream and run...great entertainment...

then I approach menacingly and say: 'you haven't been doing well at school and now I shall puncture you!' and then later they cuddle up and say: 'you weren't really gonna puncture me uncle tutsi, were you?' ...'of course not, my darling...of course not...'

Edited by tutsiwarrior

and be aware that in the west a doctor's script is required to purchase diabetes medication and equipment at significant cost (USD600 to get a script in the US and GBP70 in the UK) where as in most civilised places you can obtain what you need OTC...when available...

In the UK diabetics get ALL prescription medication free not just that needed to control their diabetes. If you're controlling diabetes without medication then they won't give you a meter or strips but meters are 10 quid each and Abbott sells strips direct to punters at £14 for a 50 strip tub which is half the price you pay in a pharmacy and is tax free too. You can also get strips off Ebay.

In the UK diabetics get ALL prescription medication free not just that needed to control their diabetes. If you're controlling diabetes without medication then they won't give you a meter or strips but meters are 10 quid each and Abbott sells strips direct to punters at £14 for a 50 strip tub which is half the price you pay in a pharmacy and is tax free too. You can also get strips off Ebay.

How do they determine if you're controlling it without medicine? By tests? If that was the case most diabetics could soon show some bad test results to prove they're diabetic. Just go on a carbohydrate binge for a week and get your free meter and strips.

Edited by tropo

well...I'm not UK...I'm a filthy yank and they don't want stinkin' foreigners freeloading offa their system, such that it is...and in the US if you can't pay then you die and no one cares much...

when in the UK I went to see some punk doctor to get a script for insulin as I had been delayed with travel plans back to Thailand and ran out and he sneered: 'you should be more prepared the next time that you travel...' I wanted to kick him in the face and should have but the general ignorance would still prevail...OTC you stupid POS!

Edited by tutsiwarrior

How do they determine if you're controlling it without medicine? By tests? If that was the case most diabetics could soon show some bad test results to prove they're diabetic. Just go on a carbohydrate binge for a week and get your free meter and strips.

They look at your HBa1C results. All diabetic medication in the UK is POM (Prescription Only Medicine) so they know whether you're taking medication or not as they'll be the ones prescribing it.

well...I'm not UK...I'm a filthy yank and they don't want stinkin' foreigners freeloading offa their system, such that it is...and in the US if you can't pay then you die and no one cares much...

when in the UK I went to see some punk doctor to get a script for insulin as I had been delayed with travel plans back to Thailand and ran out and he sneered: 'you should be more prepared the next time that you travel...' I wanted to kick him in the face and should have but the general ignorance would still prevail...OTC you stupid POS!

Well if you insist on being a red in claw and tooth capitalist you can hardly expect that great communistic cloud that is the NHS to give you stuff for nowt. I'm a bit surprised that the Doc gave you a hard time. They're always up for making a few extra quid on the side.

Edited by endure