Need A 1Km Internet Link.......

Para

Be careful with this - since it looks like the OP is worried about cost

My Abbott returned yesterday and I ran the various board suggestions by him and all were instantly dismissed on cost grounds. Great. I have been told to reposition the mounting supports to make the microwave link work.

Will take a picture tomorrow (forgot camera this morning!) just to show how dense the forest is. As with any problem its only a problem till a solution is found and I think mine is fairly easy. Been told that having a new tri-pole support (sorry don't know correct word) made isn't that expensive so with proper cable stays and lightening consideration I am going to try and get a 50m support made.

For sure it wont be me going up there to line up the dishes!

@RandomSand - I agree total cost about 30k BT which is nothing compared to the 4M currently being spent resurfacing the temple road.

@nikster - Currently no line of sight and I am as I say in a forest so will just have to increase the height of the supports.

@Darrel - No additional money available so existing hardware only.

@BuffaloRescue - This si a strange one I am on 1-2-Call prepay and cant get 3G as soon as I am in Bangkok I can so I (foolishly) made the assumption there wasn't 3G were we are as its very rural. My Abbott has been given a new 3G iPad on TOT and he is able to see and connect at 3G speed. Using the same principles as MiFi that cars have I could make something work but found out yesterday WiFi has to be group available and I don't think 3G will cope with the required bandwidth.

If this was a client I would of walked away laughing ages ago but its my Temple so I will simply look at it as a challenge rather than a problem!

Thanks for all the input and advice guys I really appreciate it.

Para

Edited by Para

Can I ask why you need internet in a meditation room???

Why do the temples need internet at all???

Just asking?

Of course you can ask.

My Abbott is a very respected meditation teacher and as I said in an earlier post travels the world teaching both meditation and Dharma. Before he was using Skype but that was then only a one-to-one solution so he would be surrounded by laptop so his students in different countries were able to listen to the Dharma talk then join a meditation session.

I set up a different solution so from just 1 computer he is able to teach as many people as wish to join him.

I agree its far from traditional BUT it allows the teaching of Buddha to be more easily offered to people who wish to learn but are unable to attend the temple.

With metta

Para

Why can he not just go down to the internet connection that the temple already has??????????? Save you tons

Then he will not have to travel the world to teach, he'll only have to travel 1000m?

Just can't wrap my head around how much tech and material items temples have. As they are not supposed to have any of it!

Inappropriate Items Including Money

T.V.'s and videos for entertainment should not be used by a monk. Under certain circumstances, a Dharma video or a documentary programme may be watched. In general, luxurious items are inappropriate for a monk to accept. This is because they are conducive to attachment in his own mind, and excite envy, possibly even the intention to steal, in the mind of another person. This is unwholesome Kamma. It also looks bad for an alms mendicant, living on charity as a source of inspiration to others, to have luxurious belongings. One who is content with little should be a light to a world where consumer instincts and greed are whipped up in people's minds.

Although the Vinaya specifies a prohibition on accepting and handling gold and silver, the real spirit of it is to forbid use and control over funds, whether these are bank notes or credit cards. The Vinaya even prohibits a monk from having someone else receive money on his behalf. In practical terms, monasteries are financially controlled by lay stewards, who then make open invitation for the Sangha to ask for what they need, under the direction of the Abbot. A junior monk even has to ask an appointed agent (generally a senior monk or Abbot) if he may take up the stewards' offer to pay for dental treatment or obtain medicines, for example. This means that as far as is reasonably possible, the donations that are given to the stewards to support the Sangha are not wasted on unnecessary whims.

If a layperson wishes to give something to a particular monk, but is uncertain what he needs, he should make an invitation. Any financial donations should not be to a monk but to the stewards of the monastery, perhaps mentioning if it's for a particular item or for the needs of a certain monk. For items such as travelling expenses, money can be given to an accompanying anagarika (dressed in white) or accompanying layperson, who can then buy tickets, drinks for a journey or anything else that the monk may need at that time. It is quite a good exercise in mindfulness for a layperson to actually consider what items are necessary and offer those rather than money.

Correct me if I am wrong!

Correct me if I am wrong!

No correction needed and I commend you taking your time to explain this to me, an ordained Monk.

Would you mind if we kept this particular thread on topic BUT please drop by the Buddhist section where your comments and views will be so much more appreciated as I am guessing the people offering tech advice here fro me have little if any interest in the patimokkha.

With metta

Para

Hi. You can get Fiber to your home from CAT telecom as they usualy supply lines fones TOT/3bb. Whereever the last point is, they can put a wire from there to your house at your cost. Yes expensive but then you can re-sell internet to the whole area.

Last resort would be finding the closest person or business with internet and offering them a bit of money, then wiring your own network over the electricity/phone line pole to your house "illegaly" thus sharing their internet account over long distance

Edited by Hostile17

Hi. You can get Fiber to your home from CAT telecom as they usualy supply lines fones TOT/3bb. Whereever the last point is, they can put a wire from there to your house at your cost. Yes expensive but then you can re-sell internet to the whole area.

Last resort would be finding the closest person or business with internet and offering them a bit of money, then wiring your own network over the electricity/phone line pole to your house "illegaly" thus sharing their internet account over long distance

I like your angle on the problem problem is we are a forest Temple on a mountain in the middle of no where!

I like your angle on the problem problem is we are a forest Temple on a mountain in the middle of no where!

ill send you some burmese to lay 30km of fiber from the nearest town :P