Cage Fighting Ban Actually Protectionist?

BigJohnnyBKK

The Thai government has banned the fast rising sport of cage fighting, or mixed martial arts, terming it as brutal.

Part of the reason seems to be to protect the popular Thai sport of Muay Thai, or kick boxing, with the government's sports authority saying it wants to shield the sport from outside influences.

The people behind mixed martial arts have vowed to fight the ban.

Al Jazeera's Wayne Hay reports from Bangkok.

they're doing the same in, if memory serves, New York to protect boxing.. just means DARE who hold 4 events a year will move to another country - their audience is mainly online.

its a fast rising sport open to outside (non Thai) investors and sponsors and it doesn't operate in a closed loop therefore I can completely see how it can be dangerous for the average Thai to be exposed to it. Not to mention the shocking brutality that you just don't get with the more spiritual and Buddhist principle led Muay Thai. They even hold it in a bright (possibly foreign owned) nightclub where alcohol is openly sold, there's no grassroots smell of sweat and blood to ground young folk and no betting takes place to help the local economy.

Unlike Muay Thai the opportunity for financial and moral corruption is rife, ban it twice over i say!!

They have every right to ban anything they do not like.

It is their country.

If people do not like the laws of the country then they

can leave.

It is their country.

can leave.

never heard that before ....coffee1.gif

It is their country.

can leave.

erm... DARE is organised by Dare Fight Sports a 100% owned Thai company with an international

management and advisory team, with years of experience in promotions, event organizing and marketing.

The team is lead by the President of Dare Fight Sports, Mr. Rathti Thitidonpipat who has been following the

development of Mixed Martial Arts in Thailand for many years and believes the time is now right for DARE

events to grow.

erm... DARE is organised by Dare Fight Sports a 100% owned Thai company with an international management and advisory team, with years of experience in promotions, event organizing and marketing.

The team is lead by the President of Dare Fight Sports, Mr. Rathti Thitidonpipat who has been following the development of Mixed Martial Arts in Thailand for many years and believes the time is now right for DARE events to grow.

Dude, why's your formatting get so messed up?

But thanks for the details; looks like Mr Rathti will have to conduct the exhibition part of his business outside the kingdom then, and presumably MT athletes will have to choose one sport or the other. . .

erm... DARE is organised by Dare Fight Sports a 100% owned Thai company with an international management and advisory team, with years of experience in promotions, event organizing and marketing.

The team is lead by the President of Dare Fight Sports, Mr. Rathti Thitidonpipat who has been following the development of Mixed Martial Arts in Thailand for many years and believes the time is now right for DARE events to grow.

Dude, why's your formatting get so messed up?

But thanks for the details; looks like Mr Rathti will have to conduct the exhibition part of his business outside the kingdom then, and presumably MT athletes will have to choose one sport or the other. . .

looks ok to me but I post from phone, tablet and desktop depending on where I am and what I'm doing so that may lead to formatting issues. I work in Sports Marketing and Sponsorships and had just started presenting DARE to UK based gaming brands (bugger) so copy/pasted the info above from presentation materials, again this may have led to issues.