Canadian Sisters Died Of 'Food Poisoning' In Thailand Hotel

Lite Beer

Here is a pic of the hotel room... they only offer the same room as a double or twin but certainly not a dump price at 1,500 baht per night at this time of the year but reviews on TA are really not good... How are they #5 on Trip Advisor out of 37 B&B's on Koh Phiphi ...?? Main complaint being the noise from the Party Bar next to them.

And this from one poster ( click on the link down below to see the other posts of guests who have stayed there)... really does not sound like a great hotel or B&B as they refer to themselves ..

"Cons:

- Floor was sticky even after we had the room cleaned.

- If you don't like the strong sweet sickly artificial smell of room spray you need to instruct the housekeeping not to spray it excessively.

- Only 4 clothes hangers per room. We asked for more but was told that that was all they've allocated.

- No reading lights at bedside table.

- In the picture, the bathroom looks new and nice. But since the floor is all level, you practically have to contend with wet bathroom floor all the time to access the sink and the toilet.

- Water stinks REALLY REALLY bad the 5 days we were there. The sharp unpleasant odour lingers in our memory even weeks after leaving the place and still made us shudder. We asked the reception then and was told that basically the whole water system on the island is problematic. But when we went to two other resorts the water did not smell at all. Don't know if this is a problem with the newer establishment as they might have to dig their own well.

- Lots of mosquitoes, probably from the bathroom even though we could hardly detect any opening.

- While we were there, there was construction noise at 11.20pm. And since Palms Residence is in one of the alleys, expect substantial noise especially during weekend nights."

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g303908-d1718625-Reviews-or10-Phi_Phi_Palms_Residence-Ko_Phi_Phi_Don_Krabi_Province.html#REVIEWS

http://phiphipalmsresidence.com/photos.htm#

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Was there a window in their room ..?? Ground level...?? So the murderer got out through a window...? since the chain was on the door according to the Fox News report ???

To fuel your speculations, ground level and sliding glass door (not counting the chain locked door). Plus police collected various items including "headphones" with no mention of an attached device. Good luck Sherlock......

Thank you !!

• Like 1

...The pair had skin lesions, their gums were bleeding and their fingernails and toenails were blue, suggesting they may have suffered copper poisoning from cookware...

Source: www.metro.co.uk/news

Sent from my Nexus S using Thaivisa Connect App

That sounds totally unbelievable ... where is the pot , which restaurant , why were they the only ones ..etc etc

Why do people post such rubbish ..

• Like 2

Here is a pic of the hotel room... they only offer the same room as a double or twin but certainly not a dump price at 1,500 baht per night at this time of the year but reviews on TA are really not good... How are they #5 on Trip Advisor out of 37 B&B's on Koh Phiphi ...?? Main complaint being the noise from the Party Bar next to them.

And this from one poster ( click on the link down below to see the other posts of guests who have stayed there)... really does not sound like a great hotel or B&B as they refer to themselves ..

"Cons:

- If you don't like the strong sweet sickly artificial smell of room spray you need to instruct the housekeeping not to spray it excessively.

- Only 4 clothes hangers per room. We asked for more but was told that that was all they've allocated.

- In the picture, the bathroom looks new and nice. But since the floor is all level, you practically have to contend with wet bathroom floor all the time to access the sink and the toilet.

- Water stinks REALLY REALLY bad the 5 days we were there. The sharp unpleasant odour lingers in our memory even weeks after leaving the place and still made us shudder. We asked the reception then and was told that basically the whole water system on the island is problematic. But when we went to two other resorts the water did not smell at all. Don't know if this is a problem with the newer establishment as they might have to dig their own well.

- Lots of mosquitoes, probably from the bathroom even though we could hardly detect any opening.

- While we were there, there was construction noise at 11.20pm. And since Palms Residence is in one of the alleys, expect substantial noise especially during weekend nights."

http://www.tripadvis...ce.html#REVIEWS

http://phiphipalmsre...com/photos.htm#

It really is a wonder why Phuket is still a 'world class' tourist destination.

The first 2 are a worry...and the water.

More likely tainted party drugs than food poisoning

Finally a more open-minded reply.

Are you accusing these girls of cooking up some recreational drugs for just themselves in their bathroom? Even if someone supplied them the drugs then unless they were intentionally poisoned we would expect others that bought the drugs to be suffering the same consequences.. no?

If you knew Phi Phi, you would know what a "special" bucket is. Poster merely mentions that a (failed) mix is one of the plausible explanations.....

Are you accusing these girls of cooking up some recreational drugs for just themselves in their bathroom? Even if someone supplied them the drugs then unless they were intentionally poisoned we would expect others that bought the drugs to be suffering the same consequences.. no?

If you knew Phi Phi, you would know what a "special" bucket is. Poster merely mentions that a (failed) mix is one of the plausible explanations.....

I admit I have never been to Phi Phi and have no idea what a "special" bucket is.

I'm not accusing anyone. Just observing that most posters have already made their mind up about food-poisoning. If they are right, why are only two people affected by this? As I said before, wait for the auotopsy-report.

I admit I have never been to Phi Phi and have no idea what a "special" bucket is.

I have never been to phi phi.....but I presume a close relative is the special pizza in Cambo....but not organic.

...The pair had skin lesions, their gums were bleeding and their fingernails and toenails were blue, suggesting they may have suffered copper poisoning from cookware...

copper?

Under some "personal circumstances" I get a slight skinrash from the food in the markets, too.

Though, I thought it was iron, and I also think it must be from the cookware - as there is no much nutritional value in the stuff anyway.

I dont get anything like that when eating at KFC...

Edited by dingdang

"Cons:

http://www.tripadvis...ce.html#REVIEWS

http://phiphipalmsre...com/photos.htm#

interestingly, this tripadvisor-poster lists under "PROs":

- The receptionist, Andrew, was most helpful and friendly. We asked for extra towels which were promptly given to us, and as for restaurant recommendations, he gave us "the insider tips".

Source: www.metro.co.uk/news

Sent from my Nexus S using Thaivisa Connect App

That sounds totally unbelievable ... where is the pot , which restaurant , why were they the only ones ..etc etc

Why do people post such rubbish ..

It meets a psychological need to come up with an explanation for an event that causes fear. It is one of the reasons why there are so many conspiracy theories around. Human's have a great fear of the unknown and will go to great lengths to create explanations.

Half a bottle of Samsung mixed with Coke and Redbull served in a small plastic bucket. A cheap and efficient way of getting very drunk, very quickly,, just what the youngsters want.

Half a bottle of Samsung mixed with Coke and Redbull served in a small plastic bucket. A cheap and efficient way of getting very drunk, very quickly,, just what the youngsters want.

Samsung...

Has anyone suggested that it could be Shellfish poisoning? Where toxins produced by algae can build up and cause death to those who eat shellfish.

Symptoms sound possible.

https://en.wikipedia...lfish_poisoning

Certainly ASP

https://en.wikipedia...lfish_poisoning

or Cyanotoxin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanotoxin

I remember cases of Phuket locals dying from consuming turtle.

For shellfish poisoning I suppose many more cases would likely occur. For consuming a bad turtle, maybe only one case is possible?

Who knows?

Edited by metisdead
Link to forbidden site removed.

The bleeding of gums associated with the poisoning refers to when the subject brushes his/her teeth and there is bleeding. If there had been reported nosebleeding, then perhaps warfarin might be implicated.

Ridiculous. Someone poisoned with warfarin doesn't need to brush their teeth to bleed! hahahahah

You're thinking of a platelet disorder, or a coagulopathy disorder. Besides, even if you were right (which you aren't) don't you think they brushed their teeth?

Warfarin induces bleeds by virtue of the fact that it intereferes with Vitamin K, a necessary component of the coagulation system.

Warfarin doesn't need a toothbrush!

It takes days to deplete a human's Vitamin K. Vitamin K is required for coagulation. One's Vitamin K reserves are not depleted immediately following the ingestion of the warfarin. First the substance has to be absorbed, then metabolized and then the process has to start. It can take several days. I am quite capable of understanding a platelet disorder, thank you. The bleeding of gums is reported in some cases of warfarin exposure, but is neither a definitive sign nor proof of such an exposure. Warfarin exposure does not cause spontaneous bleeding of the gums. It can however, be associated with a large nosebleed and bleeding from scratches and cuts. Nose bleeds are associated with the exposure because the nose is one part of the body that is most predisposed to bleeding. You really should stop your speculating as there is absolutely nothing to support your assertion. If there was warfarin implicated, purple feet and toes would have been observed, not blue fingers which are a sign of circulatory and heart issues, i.e. oxygenation of the blood. Again, many of these so called discolourations may have just been normal colour changes associated with the natural decay of the body.An untrained observer, will not understand. A dead body, often has visible discolouration at the pressure points where the body weight has been concentrated. To someone with no experience, it can look like severe bruising, but a 1st year pathology student will recognize the relationship of gravity and the pooling of fluids.

It will take at least 30 days to have some partial reliable information. Can you put your speculation in neutral until then please.

• Like 2

what if - the restaurant did indeed do something wrong... unintentionally...

then wrong things are going on and on for another 30 days, and can repeat anytime?

the restaurant they ate at should be closed, until the autopsy delivers the results.

at least the name of the restaurant should be published, otherwise is having a meal on phi phi like playing russian roulette...

Edited by dingdang

Nope. That's a "standard" bucket. "special" refers to addition of recreational drugs at your request. Or insistence of the bar staff .It's fairly common in most popular SEA location targeting early-mid 20's travelers, with a good proportion of them willing to "try" even if they have never used drugs before. I am not speculating about the real reason of the death, only a thoroughly (and transparent) investigation may reveal the truth. Just saying that the OP suggestion was valid compared to some idiocies I have read in this thread.....

Edited by Justaword

You make that claim with zero knowledge as to the deceaseds' character or past histories. Although the possibility cannot be ruled out until there is a complete autopsy, but in the absence of any proof and any personal histories it is both inappropriate and nasty to make such an assertion.At this time, it is just as likely that the two women were attacked by aliens from another world.

My thought exactly. These kids seemed very grounded and very close to their family and community. They also were doing well in school. Not one typically expects from kids drawn into the party and drug culture.

One thing that bothers me is two intelligent kids not at keast on them getting help. Perhaps if the took something and they were ashamed or embarrassed to come clean would be an explanation. Either that of the symptoms started out as food poising and then they got overwhelmed quickly while trying to wait it out.

I hate going to the party drug thing as it seems like trying to blame a women for her rape and murder because people say she was acting seductively. I also think more than just two sisters would gave been affected if party drugs unless they were targeted and intentionally given something bad.

It appears as if someone is putting pressure on Thai authorities and calling the shots. Family apparently taken over custody and control of the bodies if they refused to allow Thai officials send off to their chosen people. Hopefully, the family is arranging for a private examination.

Arsenic was a favored poison because it can be difficult to detect after death unless know what to look for . . . Unlike severe acute coumadin toxicity sufficient to cause death which would be so easy to see a med student could likely diagnosis without an autopsy.

Anyway, all the more need of an independent expert if something like arsenic was used which can at times be difficult to detect unless trying to rule it out. I have no idea what was used just that I would try and rule out certain things first.

I don't believe any country can arbitrarily cremate a foreign national without family consent unless an epidemic is involved.

Unless there is a complaint from a relative of the deceased thats exactly what they do.

The owner of the Lanna Lavender in Chiangmai died from poisoning and was conveniently cremated within days.

Edited by Chopperboy

[.........]

Thailand vows fast probe into Canadian deaths

Bangkok, June 18, 2012 (AFP) - Thai police on Monday.............................................

Apologies If this comment has been made already, this topic is going at such a pace it's hard to keep up.

Speed is not the essence here it is the thoroughness of the investigation.

I have never been to phi phi.....but I presume a close relative is the special pizza in Cambo....but not organic.

Now I have been to Siem Reap and had a happy herb pizza. But no one in the history of the world has ever dies from consuming herbs. Something tells me a "special bucket" does not contain herbs. maybe I'm wrong as like I said, I have never had one.

The bleeding of gums associated with the poisoning refers to when the subject brushes his/her teeth and there is bleeding. If there had been reported nosebleeding, then perhaps warfarin might be implicated.

Ridiculous. Someone poisoned with warfarin doesn't need to brush their teeth to bleed! hahahahah

You're thinking of a platelet disorder, or a coagulopathy disorder. Besides, even if you were right (which you aren't) don't you think they brushed their teeth?

Warfarin induces bleeds by virtue of the fact that it intereferes with Vitamin K, a necessary component of the coagulation system.

Warfarin doesn't need a toothbrush!

It takes days to deplete a human's Vitamin K. Vitamin K is required for coagulation. One's Vitamin K reserves are not depleted immediately following the ingestion of the warfarin. First the substance has to be absorbed, then metabolized and then the process has to start. It can take several days. I am quite capable of understanding a platelet disorder, thank you. The bleeding of gums is reported in some cases of warfarin exposure, but is neither a definitive sign nor proof of such an exposure. Warfarin exposure does not cause spontaneous bleeding of the gums. It can however, be associated with a large nosebleed and bleeding from scratches and cuts. Nose bleeds are associated with the exposure because the nose is one part of the body that is most predisposed to bleeding. You really should stop your speculating as there is absolutely nothing to support your assertion. If there was warfarin implicated, purple feet and toes would have been observed, not blue fingers which are a sign of circulatory and heart issues, i.e. oxygenation of the blood. Again, many of these so called discolourations may have just been normal colour changes associated with the natural decay of the body.An untrained observer, will not understand. A dead body, often has visible discolouration at the pressure points where the body weight has been concentrated. To someone with no experience, it can look like severe bruising, but a 1st year pathology student will recognize the relationship of gravity and the pooling of fluids.

It will take at least 30 days to have some partial reliable information. Can you put your speculation in neutral until then please.

Can't do with your politics, love some of your other stuff, in particular this. I fear for Guyinthailands blood pressure when he reads it :)

• Like 1

not sure, if someone orders (recreational) drugs, when returning home before midnight - with the sister...

also, it is somehow given as fact, that they didnt try to get help... do we know for sure, that they didnt call reception?

did they really die inside the room?

maybe, maybe not..

Does anybody know who, if anybody, is OFFICIALLY in charge of the investigation, I thought the bodies were already on their way to BKK for autopsy at this time. Nails have now turned to black BTW.

[........] However, if it were found that they had died because of contaminated food, the image of the area would inevitably be affected.

I think that it's pretty much on the cards already whatever the outcome.

It meets a psychological need to come up with an explanation for an event that causes fear. It is one of the reasons why there are so many conspiracy theories around. Human's have a great fear of the unknown and will go to great lengths to create explanations.

You also just defined religion, and I give my hat to you for this words.

To stay on topic, somebody mentioned that you are actually competent on forensic pathology, contrarily to most CSI apprentices here. You may find interesting the interview of the local doctor, found "somewhere else" on the net.