July In Krabi - Need Suggestions.

whatchamacallit

We live in Jomtien and have never been to Krabi. Planning to visit next month. Our schedule is open. We were thinking about a two to three weeks holiday. We would like to split our time between Ao Nang or any area near Ao Nang, Koh Lanta and maybe Phi Phi. We prefer to stay on the beach or close to it.

Any suggestions as to how much time we should spend in each place? Where to stay (1500 baht/day or slightly more)? are there any serviced apartments available renting on a daily basis? Is it a good idea to rent a motorbike? I know July is slow season and this the reason why choose to go during this time as we are not too fond of big crowds, but how is the weather like in July? Thank you for your input.

Currently Koh Lanta is dead. Most restaurants closed and almost no tourists. Phi Phi I don't know. Haven't been there since the tsunami. Ao Nang is ok, although many places closed, as well. But there is still slow going live with tourists, mainly from SEA and China. With your budget you'll find an accommodation easy.

• Like 1

Ao Nang is cool. at north end is park with marina, you can walk sand spit to small island in low tide.

I put on shoes and climbed along rocks at sea coast, but it's potentially dangerous, and not for everyone. rocks are sharp.

Raily beaches are the jewels in that area. can get there by boat from Ao Nang or by a couple other routes. I stayed at Putawan resort, which costs less than half of most of the other resorts, because it's further inland. You can also hike overland - about 50 minutes to/from the Raily beach closest to Ao Nang. Of course there are a bunch other things to do in that area, but I'm kee neeo (tight-ass budget) and I had two akha gf's with me, so that soaked up my spending money. Fun to share hotel rooms with a couple giggling 20-something gals with no inhibitions, though. ....and being sugar-daddy for a week.

Sad to report there's no tidal pool fauna in that region. If you go to California tidal pools, they're teeming with anenomes, starfish, large crabs, and all sorts of interesting and colorful lifeforms. Around Krabi, all you see are barnacles, tiny crabs, and remains of little shells which the locals have cracked open for morsels to eat. In other words, locals and Burmese workers have scavenged tidal pools to such an extent that they're now dead zones.

• Like 1

Ao Nang is cool. at north end is park with marina, you can walk sand spit to small island in low tide.

I put on shoes and climbed along rocks at sea coast, but it's potentially dangerous, and not for everyone. rocks are sharp.

Raily beaches are the jewels in that area. can get there by boat from Ao Nang or by a couple other routes. I stayed at Putawan resort, which costs less than half of most of the other resorts, because it's further inland. You can also hike overland - about 50 minutes to/from the Raily beach closest to Ao Nang. Of course there are a bunch other things to do in that area, but I'm kee neeo (tight-ass budget) and I had two akha gf's with me, so that soaked up my spending money. Fun to share hotel rooms with a couple giggling 20-something gals with no inhibitions, though. ....and being sugar-daddy for a week.

Sad to report there's no tidal pool fauna in that region. If you go to California tidal pools, they're teeming with anenomes, starfish, large crabs, and all sorts of interesting and colorful lifeforms. Around Krabi, all you see are barnacles, tiny crabs, and remains of little shells which the locals have cracked open for morsels to eat. In other words, locals and Burmese workers have scavenged tidal pools to such an extent that they're now dead zones.

Thank you guys for taking the time to reply. The information is greatly appreciated and we will definitely use the advise given. Might pass on the giggling akha girls, as we are an old couple :-)... We will skip the tidal pools, but I am sure there are other things to do.

There is quite a good songthaew nework.

When riding in a songtaow around Krabi area, be careful of your head. They have 'turnbuckles' at head height that can readily dig in to a person's skull. I rode in about 8 different songtaows (pick-up taxis) and each one had that same problem. All that's needed is a bonk against the 1 cm steel tips, and 'pow!' it's embedded 1 cm in your skull. Although they're there to facilitate rain guards, they're extremely bad design. A Thai lady got painfully bonked on the ear, during one trip I was on.

Ao Nang- J Hotel and ask for an upper floor ocean view room, this time of year is 600thb a night and a complete bargain. 2 minute walk to the beach and to the boat booth to Railay. Excellent location and value. Don't miss Krabi town, spend an afternoon and evening over there, cave tour on the river, dinner on the river.

Lanta-again bargain is Lante Bee bungalows, get the ones on the beach. Specifically ask for that. This time of year, again 600-800 a night. For a little more go for Best Western Maya resort. This location you are a short ride from Saladan town and have at your doorstep beach with restaurants right there so that if you don't want to get out of your swimwear, you don't have to !

Phi Phi-now, the money you have saved at above two locations, spend on nicer digs OUTSIDE OF PHI PHI DON VILLAGE. Sorry for shouting, but Phi Phi Don Village is a dump. Phi Phi Island Village, Zeavola, even Long Beach Resort, just, as soon as the boat hits Phi Phi, get out of that town to outer areas of the island.

There ya go, GOM's two satangs worth, most importantly enjoy and have fun.

• Like 1

Ao Nang- J Hotel and ask for an upper floor ocean view room, this time of year is 600thb a night and a complete bargain. 2 minute walk to the beach and to the boat booth to Railay. Excellent location and value. Don't miss Krabi town, spend an afternoon and evening over there, cave tour on the river, dinner on the river.

Lanta-again bargain is Lante Bee bungalows, get the ones on the beach. Specifically ask for that. This time of year, again 600-800 a night. For a little more go for Best Western Maya resort. This location you are a short ride from Saladan town and have at your doorstep beach with restaurants right there so that if you don't want to get out of your swimwear, you don't have to !

Phi Phi-now, the money you have saved at above two locations, spend on nicer digs OUTSIDE OF PHI PHI DON VILLAGE. Sorry for shouting, but Phi Phi Don Village is a dump. Phi Phi Island Village, Zeavola, even Long Beach Resort, just, as soon as the boat hits Phi Phi, get out of that town to outer areas of the island.

There ya go, GOM's two satangs worth, most importantly enjoy and have fun.

Thank you grumpy..... Lots of info there! :-)

• 2 weeks later...

u have to do the 4 island one day tour from AO nang. about 500Baht. cheaper if u look hard enough.

and check out the 3 beaches at railey.

enjoy.

Thank you. We will definitely check it out if weather permits. I heard a big storm is brewing down there :-). Bought our round trip tickets flying Thai arriving July 9.. We will be there (Krabi, Aonang and Koh Lnta) for two weeks staying at Aonang Nagapura for the first two nights then we will check out and maybe move to different areas and hotels/resorts.

BTW, is it A good idea to rent a motorbike for the duration of our stay?

What is the cost for transportation (taxi, tuk tuk) from the airport to our hotel in Ao Nang?

Thank you.

u have to do the 4 island one day tour from AO nang. about 500Baht. cheaper if u look hard enough.

and check out the 3 beaches at railey.

enjoy.

Thank you. We will definitely check it out if weather permits. I heard a big storm is brewing down there :-). Bought our round trip tickets flying Thai arriving July 9.. We will be there (Krabi, Aonang and Koh Lnta) for two weeks staying at Aonang Nagapura for the first two nights then we will check out and maybe move to different areas and hotels/resorts.

BTW, is it A good idea to rent a motorbike for the duration of our stay?

What is the cost for transportation (taxi, tuk tuk) from the airport to our hotel in Ao Nang?

Thank you.

The Nagapura is nice but sort of tucked away. You are still walking distance into Ao Nang if you are hearty, otherwise a short tuk-tuk, 100-200thb.

Rent a motorbike if you are a competent rider, otherwise do not.

Nagapura not offering airport pickup? Maybe not for only two nights I guess, 700-1000 is what I think the taxis get from the airport, but there might be a shared van scenario that would bring that down for you. Sorry, I have never actually flown in, driven every time.

Nagapura gives me an idea of your budget though, in Lanta check the Lanta Casuarina and get a low season rate. Nice rooms, nice pool area.

At the moment you are quite safe renting a motor bike, as there are not too many people around... You should be paying no more than 150 Baht per day . . .

@grumpy, klongmuang, and checker: thank y'all for taking the time and effort to answer my questions. The information you gave us is very helpful. We are looking forward to our (hopefully quiet and relaxing) vacation.