I Would Like To Change New Passport Before Renew Visa

Dear all,

I really need your suggestion on my case. I am 30 year old lady, holding a Vietnamese passport. I applied visa after my marriage with Thai husband, and I renew visa each year. My last one year visa will be end this coming Aug, 2012 --> I need to go for renew about July, 2012.

My passport will be expired on 2018, however, because I have travelled a lot therefore most of the page of passport was filled, there is about 2 pages left. I would like to go to Vnese embassy to make a new one. I would like to make it first before going to renew visa in July

Since all visa as well as departure cards are with the current passport, if I make new passport, does my visa become invalid and how can I renew my one year visa with the new passport???? Do I need to return to Vietnam?

Thank you and looking forward hearing your suggestion.

Best wishes

Just get your new passport and then visit immigration to transfer your current one year extension of stay and visa information into your new passport (no charge and one short form to fill out). Your Embassy may give you a letter asking for this service but if not (some like the UK Embassy will not provide) immigration should understand and do for you. Copies of your old passport data page/visa and extensions will be required and a copy of new passport data page.

Your passport will be canceled by the embassy upon receiving a new one. However, Visa remains valid which must be transferred into your new book which can be done by the immigration that permitted you last extension.

You must have a letter from the embassy because immigration will ask for it.

Actually the visa is not transferred, only the information about it and from where and the extension of stay will be in the new passport. If your Embassy does not issue a letter it will not be required. I know UK never provides from many reports here and now they do not even issue the passports.