Divorcing Question

techie

Hi all..

Quick question and hoping someone can shed some light..

Ok, been nmarried since 2003, lived in thailand and Uk but now looking at a divorce.

Im in the Uk and wife in Thailand, we married in Thailand.

No kids or money issues to sort either.

We both want to move on so im guessing this will classed as an uncontested divorce.

Now questions i have are firstly will a divorce in thailand be recognised as a legal divorce in the UK?

Secondly i cannot travel to Thailand for medical reasons so how will she have to go about it? maybe abandonment?

She will be able to do this her end as she underastands why i cant get there, just need to know the best way to proceed..

If its impossible i will start proccedings here under uk law and serve papers to her, which will probably be more expensive.

What do you guys suggest..

Many thanks

The easiest way would be for you to travel to Thailand and get a divorce in half an hour. But since that is not possbile, check if you can sign divorce papers at the Thai embassy and your wife can sign them in Thailand. I'm not sure if such procedure exists.

If this is not possible, as I suspect, she can file for divorce at a Thai court and must state one of the reasons mentioned in the law. Abandenment is a good reason. Since you will not contest the divorce it should be pretty straight forward, with the court papers being mailed to you and you responding that the facts are through and you agree to a divorce.

A divorce in Thailand is recognized in the UK.

Thanks Mario2008

Your input has been much appreciated.

I will contact the Thai Embassay in London and see if this can carry this out.

Hopefully it will be something they can do for us.

If not we will try the abandonment route.

I will keep the forum informend as i would imagine others will find it usefull..

Thanks for your input.

Hi again.

I do hope this info is of use to others.

Have spoke to the Thai Embassy today and found out this can be done.

They were very helpful.

The procedure is firsty my wife has to send a letter to me stating she wants a divorce, i have to agree to this letter and send back to her signed by me.

When she gets my reply she then has to visit her local office, show the letter and hand in the marraige certificate and sign for the uncontested divorce.

When this part is done the Thai Embassy in london will, should, be notified.

I then visit the Embassy in London, sign to the divorce and hand in my certificate and then it should all be done.

The guy i spoke to assured me the divorce was also recognised in the Uk so all good.

So if anyone out there wants the divorce without the travel and its uncontested its a solution.

Hope this helps someone in the future..

• Like 1

Glad that everything works out and thanks for reporting back.

But do double check that a divorce at the embassy is recognized by the UK with the UK registar. It is my understanding that normally it is not recognized, but that is when you both show up at the Thai embassy. (So different from your case).

Thanks Mario.

Yes, that was my understanding too.

The guy at the Thai embassy in London assured me that it would stand in the Uk.. Got to be fingers crossed he is right on this anyway.At the minute not much else i can do than take his word for it

She will have to go to her local amphur in Korat and me to London.

I will post back to let people know how it goes.

Thanks