Thailand's Yellow Shirts Regroup, Seek Comeback

webfact

And what is more to the point, it helped get rid of a Thaksin proxy government, so was probably cheap at twice the price. Or do you forget how much that slimeball stole from the Thai people?

Given half a chance the usual suspects will fatally incriminate themselves as this one has in the example above.

He is arguing that any crime can be tolerated if it gets rid of a "Thaksin proxy government".Clearly the current government falls into this category so it follows that any action which undermines it can be tolerated regardless of itsl egality or the clearly known wishes of the Thai people.The slight puzzle is that while this attitutude can be understood, if not approved, when coming from entrenched Thai interests, why rootless foreigners might wish to adopt it.

ANY crime? Do I condone armed insurrection as a political tool, random and targeted murders, or mass arson?

Actually, I consider the airport occupation as unnecessary. But putting a money value on it and saying that is a measure of its evil, deserves a comparison to the likely corruption it prevented.

Having raised a Thai family, and since being in a stable relationship for the last 6 years, I don't consider myself "rootless" in any sense of the word. The fact that you can't understand why somebody from a western background deplores the actions of a family who have achieved astronomical wealth by stealing from those with the least, says more of your values than mine.

BTW FYI Thaksin's fortune is based on corruption, from his contract to supply computers to the police, to his cable TV licence granted by Chalerm, to his monopoly on mobile phones valued at billions handed to him on a plate. His voracious venality doesn't even allow for a modicum of altruism to disguise his nature.

If you are going to back pedal it makes sense to address the issues.Your earlier post was quite clear about endorsing any criminality that might get rid of a proxy Thaksin government.

Your understanding of Thaksin's weath accumulation is defective.Nobody suggests Thaksin is pure as the driven snow but in business methods he is not much different from countless other Sino-Thai tycoons, just infinitely more successful.If you regard political influence as corruption, it is not just Thaksin in the firing line but the full panoply of Thai business including sectors that cannot be discussed on this forum.I know you prefer to deal in childish cartoon like ideas but I'm sure there are more serious minded members who would like to know rather more about how exactly Thaksin bevcame so wealthy.I can do no better than recommend as a starting point Pasuk Phongpaichit and Chris Baker's "Thaksin".I will quote one relevant passage.

" The fortune Thaksin made over five years beginning in 1990 was quite extraordinary.The booming economy, and the state';s abysmal failure to expand either landline or mobile networks had created enormous unfulfilled demand.The monopolistic concession structure allowed the new mobile suppliers to charge high prices with enormous profit margins.The TOT constructed a built in market advantage for Thaksin because it suited them in their competition with CAT.Finally the stock market pumped up by financial liberalization and a worldwide enthusiasm for emerging marketrs translated the high profits into higher net worth..

His enormous success inevitably inspired rivalry.Competitors understood that Thaksin's success was grounded on political linls, and hence competition was as much political as commercial.Thaksin -and his rivals - were pulled deeper into politics by the nature of their business and by the logic of intensifying competition"

"And what is more to the point, it helped get rid of a Thaksin proxy government, so was probably cheap at twice the price."

There is my statement. Point out where it condones "any" crime.

"The monopolistic concession structure allowed the new mobile suppliers to charge high prices with enormous profit margins."

Try to read the above statement. "monopolistic concession" means one. "the new mobile suppliers" means Thaksin's AIS. "high prices with enormous profit margins." means overcharging that could not have been done if competition had been allowed.

Now grasp - he was given a concession valued at billions, He didn't have to buy it, though I'm sure shares were handed out and/or sold cheaply. It was a monopoly - nobody was allowed to compete. if you wanted a mobile phone, you bought it from AIS and paid their premium. If you wanted to use it, you paid AIS rates. AIS was allowed to overcharge with no oversight, both phones and rates well above other countries. Are claiming that is normal business practice?

You didn't see the PTP slogan "Thaksin thinks - PTP acts" or are you unaware that the use of banned politicians contravenes electoral law?

Are you also unaware that the EC has resolved most of the complaints against PTP into 3 major cases, one concerned with the above, and 2 related to appointment of unsuitable candidates? Any one of the 3 cases could see PTP disbanded.

There is a recent thread on those 3 cases.

So your perceived electoral breaches are actually objections to certain campaign slogans and the appointment of unsuitable candidates... as an attempt to question the legitimacy of the last election the phrase "clutching at straws" comes to mind.

Up until the EC makes its decision, that legitimacy is still in question. IMHO the major reason for delay is the threat of political violence.

What the hell is wrong with people on this forum. You waste your days arguing over who is worst - the reds or they yellows - they did this, well, they did that, she said this, she said that, he's good, he's bad. They started it.

Both sides are wrong, both sides have done illegal and damaging things to the country and both sides use each others illegal actions to justify their illegal actions. It's <deleted> madness.

Best post yet on this thread, says it all.

The usual suspects are so predictably quick to jump to the defence of their respective violent mobs and shady patrons, yet seemingly blind to the similarities they exhibit and the motivation behind them.

We might as well argue about which is worse to encounter whilst swimming a crocodile or a shark... I'm afraid that eating you is just the nature of the beast regardless of hue.

Sometimes it feels like they are arguing over which is the best STD to contract, pro-Gonorrhea or pro-Chlamydia.

Please understand that people tend to argue on FORUMS. I's just a hot topic.smile.png

Fair enough. Please understand that people tend to comment on FORUMS!

Whether that comment is made in argument with another poster or as commentary on the trend of posts makes it no more or less valid... in fact I'd "argue" that those that post without becoming overly emotional about their subject tend to exhibit more balance and less biasthumbsup.gif

Now grasp - he was given a concession valued at billions, He didn't have to buy it, though I'm sure shares were handed out and/or sold cheaply. It was a monopoly - nobody was allowed to compete. if you wanted a mobile phone, you bought it from AIS and paid their premium. If you wanted to use it, you paid AIS rates. AIS was allowed to overcharge with no oversight, both phones and rates well above other countries. Are claiming that is normal business practice?

I never said anything about "normal" business practice: clearly the monopolistic approach is neither normal nor acceptable in most modern business jurisdictions.I was talking about business practice in Thailand where Thaksin's record in telecomms is mirrored in other sectors by other institutions (including one we cannot discuss here) and Sino Thai tycoons.If you don't understand these basics a period of quiet reading might be recommended (or more fantasising about the current government's legitimacy if that seems more fun)

if you wanted a mobile phone, you bought it from AIS and paid their premium. If you wanted to use it, you paid AIS rates. AIS was allowed to overcharge with no oversight, both phones and rates well above other countries. Are claiming that is normal business practice?

Are you serious? In Thailand? Yes, sounds like quite a normal Thai business practice to me!

I have lost count of the times here, where I've hit a brick wall and been held to ransom as that person/ company holds the monopoly on the product/ decision that I require...

Is it correct and ethical business practice? Well as far the individuals/ businesses that hold the monopolies are concerned, I'm sure it's great business! Ethical? No, but that leads to the real question...

Why are certain cases of unethical monopolization exposed and prosecuted while others protected and concealed?

I am sick of this coloured mobs. Why not eliminate these colours and have a new start.

How long are these coloured mobs going to be tolerated in the community? It really is a joke.

Let's hear it for the Colorless Shirts!! Oh-oh... does that mean they are really Black Shirts??

I for one would have more sympathy for the PAD cause if they took the trouble to put themselves up for election.

Right now all they appear to be is an unelected minority trying to oust by threat of unrest a democratically elected government.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

An other post that should be highlighted for the casual visitor to this forum.

The PAD never presented any candidate for any election.

How can you pretend to represent democracy when you refuse to face the electors ?

The PAD is an extremist right wing minority movement that is used by the democrats to embarrass the government.

How democracy fit in that, you tell me ...

Actually they did put themselves up for election and also had a (non) vote drive urging voters not to vote for any candidates. Remember the Buffalo, Lizard, Dog and Monkey posters? Anyway they were a sideshow but I did enjoy the posters.

Personally, I would have a lot more sympathy for the Red/UDD movement if they fielded their own candidates under their own platform, rather than co-opt themselves to a fugitive criminal's agenda. It just makes them look like bought and paid for goons and i'm sure that's not the image they'd like to foster.

Edited by lannarebirth

I never said anything about "normal" business practice: clearly the monopolistic approach is neither normal nor acceptable in most modern business jurisdictions.I was talking about business practice in Thailand where Thaksin's record in telecomms is mirrored in other sectors by other institutions (including one we cannot discuss here) and Sino Thai tycoons.If you don't understand these basics a period of quiet reading might be recommended (or more fantasising about the current government's legitimacy if that seems more fun)

Are you serious? In Thailand? Yes, sounds like quite a normal Thai business practice to me!

I have lost count of the times here, where I've hit a brick wall and been held to ransom as that person/ company holds the monopoly on the product/ decision that I require...

Is it correct and ethical business practice? Well as far the individuals/ businesses that hold the monopolies are concerned, I'm sure it's great business! Ethical? No, but that leads to the real question...

Why are certain cases of unethical monopolization exposed and prosecuted while others protected and concealed?

So you both reply with the same tired old BS - you farang you no understand how we do things in Thailand.

Sorry, it doesn't wash with me. Just because "little Somchai" gets away with it doesn't stop me from looking at a corrupt thief and calling him what I see.

I see nothing in his actions since he became a billionaire from robbing the Thai people to change that view.

What the hell is wrong with people on this forum. You waste your days arguing over who is worst - the reds or they yellows - they did this, well, they did that, she said this, she said that, he's good, he's bad. They started it.

Both sides are wrong, both sides have done illegal and damaging things to the country and both sides use each others illegal actions to justify their illegal actions. It's <deleted> madness.

Best post yet on this thread, says it all.

The usual suspects are so predictably quick to jump to the defence of their respective violent mobs and shady patrons, yet seemingly blind to the similarities they exhibit and the motivation behind them.

We might as well argue about which is worse to encounter whilst swimming a crocodile or a shark... I'm afraid that eating you is just the nature of the beast regardless of hue.

Sometimes it feels like they are arguing over which is the best STD to contract, pro-Gonorrhea or pro-Chlamydia.

No comparison at all. One you might even overlook or not know you have the other is a killer with terrible pain and funny colors.

So you both reply with the same tired old BS - you farang you no understand how we do things in Thailand.

Sorry, it doesn't wash with me. Just because "little Somchai" gets away with it doesn't stop me from looking at a corrupt thief and calling him what I see.

I see nothing in his actions since he became a billionaire from robbing the Thai people to change that view.

Abusing members personally and repeating your simplistic discredited views doesn't alter the facts.You are clearly not able to deal with detailed arguments because you don't understand the background.It was for your benefit I quoted a relevant passage from the Pasuk/Baker book on Thaksin.I have seen nobody holding a candle for poor Thai business practices.Thaksin is certainly guilty of monopolistic practices and exploiting political influence.However he is by no means unique in this.If you talk about robbing the Thai people there are multiple targets far more insidious than Thaksin who was above all an astute businessman.

If Thaksin had retired and gone to clip coupons,

like all other deposed proto-dictators in Thailand when they fell,

then NONE OF THIS WOULD BE AN ISSUE.

He likely would have kept most of his money and have returned and be an elder statesman.

But he couldn't let it go. That mindset he has is EXACTLY why he can't gain hands on

control for long without screwing up and without inadvertently calling PAD or an equivalent,

back into action to stop him.

I know you hold this position sincerely and in fact so do many decent Thais.Some of the leading Democrats I respect (ie excluding people like Suthep) hold very much the same view.

However I think it is profoundly wrong.If Thaksin disapperared today that would certainly eradicate a poison from the system.However the deep fissures in Thai society were not created by Thaksin:he simply exploited them.There would still be a profound division and that would need to be dealt with.

Obviously just getting rid of Thaksin (ie leading a quiet life) would not fix the problems with the "haves" and "have nots" in Thailand, but Thaksin wasn't actually fixing that anyway.

• Like 1

I understand the concept. But not the fact that people argue the same topics, with the same people, using the same arguments on a daily basis. Would you do the same thing in a relationship?

I am in 100% agreement with you. I don't understand why. There must be some hidden reason or an agenda that will eventually become clear to us all otherwise it is insanity. Isn't that one definition of crazy, doing the same thing and expecting a different result?Someone tell me. You can take a couple of weeks off and come back to the same argument. Who thinks that the volume of words repeated make something true or false? A coup is always going to be a coup. Good bad or indifferent it is always wrong. Stealing is always wrong. So is murder. If your family is starving you still can't steal. Corruption is always wrong. When you scare people they run. Tourists too. But the same things over and over. The same things that everyone knows. Why? What do they get out of it. I am convinced someone knows the real answer. Maybe someone will start a topic about it.

You didn't see the PTP slogan "Thaksin thinks - PTP acts" or are you unaware that the use of banned politicians contravenes electoral law?

Are you also unaware that the EC has resolved most of the complaints against PTP into 3 major cases, one concerned with the above, and 2 related to appointment of unsuitable candidates? Any one of the 3 cases could see PTP disbanded.

There is a recent thread on those 3 cases.

So your perceived electoral breaches are actually objections to certain campaign slogans and the appointment of unsuitable candidates... as an attempt to question the legitimacy of the last election the phrase "clutching at straws" comes to mind.

There were many issues with the election including over 2 million people who were unable to vote due to errors in the procedures as well as many related to the PTP campaign.

Abusing members personally and repeating your simplistic discredited views doesn't alter the facts.You are clearly not able to deal with detailed arguments because you don't understand the background.It was for your benefit I quoted a relevant passage from the Pasuk/Baker book on Thaksin.I have seen nobody holding a candle for poor Thai business practices.Thaksin is certainly guilty of monopolistic practices and exploiting political influence.However he is by no means unique in this.If you talk about robbing the Thai people there are multiple targets far more insidious than Thaksin who was above all an astute businessman.

The same could be said of Tony Montana or Al Capone but they were not allowed to hold a nation hostage for a decade.

Edited by lannarebirth

The same could be said of Tony Montana or Al Capone but they were not allowed to hold a nation hostage for a decade.

Don't be absurd.The comparison is not with American gangsters but Thai corporates, investment institutions and tycoons - who cling to monopolies and influence.

Don't be absurd.The comparison is not with American gangsters but Thai corporates, investment institutions and tycoons - who cling to monopolies and influence.

The comparison is to the MOB and the violence it stirs on it's leader's behalf.

And you resort to the argument that other people do it, so that's OK. Their may be others who have benefited more than Thaksin but I doubt it. There have certainly been no others prepared to destroy this country to regain his place at the trough.

Given the monopoly that AIS was handed, my dog would have been a billionaire. Astute businessman or psychopath - or are they the same thing in your book?

Edited by OzMick

Red vs yellow mobs...

Now, I wouldn't like to be a DHL employee...Those guys are going to be torn apart...

Anyway, Mobs, from red or from yellow are unacceptable, period!

It gets really dangerous when the UPS employees come....

I think perhaps a general reply makes more sense to points raised because I have no wish to get into slanging matches.

1.Its very evident that some have virtually no understanding of Thailand business history nor how Thaksin became so wealthy.That could be remedied by reading one of several excellent books on the subject - but no that's too much like hard work for some.Easier to rant about Thaksin as the source of all evil.

2.Yes I do believe that there are those who wittingly or unwittingly are prepared to risk Thailand's prosperous and democratic future if their place at the feeding trough is jeapordised.

3.Business practices in Thailand have not been of a high standard.Thaksin was no exception.However he cannot be singled out as worse than many others.And yes I can think of others who have benefited equally from influence and quasi monoplistic practices.That doesn't mean I approve or condone this kind of behaviour.

• Like 2

I think perhaps a general reply makes more sense to points raised because I have no wish to get into slanging matches.

1.Its very evident that some have virtually no understanding of Thailand business history nor how Thaksin became so wealthy.That could be remedied by reading one of several excellent books on the subject - but no that's too much like hard work for some.Easier to rant about Thaksin as the source of all evil.

2.Yes I do believe that there are those who wittingly or unwittingly are prepared to risk Thailand's prosperous and democratic future if their place at the feeding trough is jeapordised.

3.Business practices in Thailand have not been of a high standard.Thaksin was no exception.However he cannot be singled out as worse than many others.And yes I can think of others who have benefited equally from influence and quasi monoplistic practices.That doesn't mean I approve or condone this kind of behaviour.

I'm not going to disagree with that. Who among those other monopolists and trough feeders are actively fomenting mob violence, has autocratic leanings and is forming personal business alliances with bordering dictators?

3. (sorry, but I have to say it - can't resist) Charoen Pokphand Foods PLC - sonny is trying to follow dad's success story with his complaints about minority foreign ownership in DTAC and AIS. (In essence saying you can have a 49% ownership, but no voting rights) That would remove almost all foreign investment in telecoms.

I'm not going to disagree with that. Who among those other monopolists and trough feeders are actively fomenting mob violence, has autocratic leanings and is forming personal business alliances with bordering dictators?

Oh my goodness - ALL of them - it's how business is played here. If you reach an agreement/bribe level with <insert powerful figure here> to get your own monopolistic goals achieved, you do it before your opponent does.

yes he bribed one military dictator to get the monopole contract for mobile phone network, but can't recall which dictator was it....With monopole on mobile phone networks even my dog would get mulch-trillionar

• Like 1

On the subject of Thaksin's crimes, one thing that he is accused of but is harder to prove, and which would dwarf the other corporate crimes is that he "overspent" by 30% the outgoing funds of the Govt he was running, and that vast amounts of that money went to his family members' businesses. 30% of total Thai state-funds is an enormous amount of money, and this is what Thaksin was accused of over-spending and spending along nepotistic lines. It is no secret he is a nepotist, and many people including myself believe strongly that he did infact intentionally overspend 30% of Thai state funds and spend them in his own family's businesses. As other posters have said in this thread, he was a 'smart businessman', I would edit that slightly to say he was 'cunning' which in business is almost the same thing. There is no doubt that records of the 30% Thai state funds which went 'walkies' during the Thaksin years, all those paper records went into shredders most likely when the ink was still wet.

I believe this to be true and that is why Thaksin is a true tyrant, because 30% of Thai state funds is money for schools, flood management, road safety, chemical regulations, water safety, etc.etc. It is a huge amount of money that Thaksin stole from the Thai state and that money was taken from Thai people, of which the poorest got hit hardest. People needed that 30% of Thai state funds, and if it is true that he spent it on his family businesses, as government insiders have stated, then his actions have caused untold misery through Thailand's poorest communities. Not content with his crimes of robbing a third of the state funds of a poor developing nation, he then returned to the scene of his crimes and was complicit in the deaths of 90+ people who all died directly as a result of Thaksin's entirely unnecessary armed uprising 2010.

Edited by Yunla
  • Like 1

Quite correct and they are taking over the news thread because of sheer volume of posts. No one is willing to challenge them consistently enough to remove the large amount of off topic posts for example this thread which is about Yellow shirts now relegated to Thaksin bashing. There are simply too many posts that are filled with nothing but anti Thaksin rhetoric for any one or even a few objective people to take on the hoard.

You might take a moment to read the thread title, "Thailand's Yellow Shirts Regroup, Seek Comeback". Why are yellow shirt protests making a comeback? Its because Thaksin's sister is putting a bill through parliament to get Thaksin 46bn cashback and absolution for his crimes.

Notice how it is Thaksin, and Thaksin's sister, and their current undemocratic actions that are causing the yellowshirts to regroup in protest, notice that it is not TV posters going off-topic to talk about Thaksin in this thread. Notice it is Thaksin and his family keeping his name and his crimes at the very centre of government policy and in most news headlines including this one.

ermm.gif

Edited by Yunla