Better Car Battery-Where To Buy

uptoyoumyfriend

If you got a pick up size battery (about 100-120 AH) for 1200 B it must have been a long time ago.

5 years would be good going in this climate.

Nothing wrong with 3K, Yuasa also ok.

Just drive around & look for the signs for those brands & you'll soon spot them.

All of my battereis have been guaranteed for one year -- and have lasted one year. Soesn't seem to matter how cheap or expensive. Starange. Vehicle batteries in the US guaranteed for five to six years is de rigueur. Can't find any such animal at any price in this country.

Both batteries and tyres don't last as long as most westerners are used to. Expect to replace them after three or four years.

Tyres will last as long in Thailand as anywhere else depending on how YOU treat them. Always over-inflate by ~4psi on top of car manufactuers recommended highway pressures*. Eg: 32 + 4 = 36psi. [*Cold tyres]

If you leave it up to a SS boy to do your tyres they will regularly under-inflate. My TW has been told several times that I am wrong and "in Thailand not put too mutt wind in tyre". Seems they have it all backwards ....

Car manufacturers design 'suspension' around all components, which happen to include tyres, to ensure a comfortable ride. Having been involved with tyre manufacturing and supply, I can assure you that running at +4psi, is far safer for YOU and kinder on the tyres!

If you leave it up to a SS boy to do your tyres they will regularly under-inflate

You must be the only person in Thailand to have experienced this. smile.png

Quite a few topics and reports on Thaivisa of shops significantly over inflating tires. Seems they use the maximum pressure on the sidewall of the tire as being 'correct'. Has been my experience too unless I explicitly tell them what I want. The only place that consistently gets it right is the dealership I bought the car at.

If you leave it up to a SS boy to do your tyres they will regularly under-inflate

Quite a few topics and reports on Thaivisa of shops significantly over inflating tires. Seems they use the maximum pressure on the sidewall of the tire as being 'correct'. Has been my experience too unless I explicitly tell them what I want. The only place that consistently gets it right is the dealership I bought the car at.

I would agree with that,that most of the times they will over inflate and by a big margin....the weird thing is that the other statement comes from a person who claims : " Having been involved with tyre manufacturing and supply"...

Always try to keep the tire pressure at the manufacture recommended set while cold,it will be reading couple of psi more when hot...wink.png

BTW,I use Boliden battery...

Edited by funcat

I would agree with that,that most of the times they will over inflate and by a big margin....the weird thing is that the other statement comes from a person who claims : " Having been involved with tyre manufacturing and supply"...

Always try to keep the tire pressure at the manufacture recommended set while cold,it will be reading couple of psi more when hot...wink.png

I gather some TV Members have had an opposite experience, fair enough, that's life. Fact is, 4psi over normal recommended highway cycle use is a proven wear-saver by the BIG 2 manufacturers of nearly all tyre making equipment and end product. Namely Michelin and Pirelli.

A little over-inflation (so long as it's BELOW the max cold figure moulded into the sidewall) is safer than under-inflation. Under-inflation creates excessive heat and dangerous wear to shoulder tread.

I gather some TV Members have had an opposite experience, fair enough, that's life. Fact is, 4psi over normal recommended highway cycle use is a proven wear-saver by the BIG 2 manufacturers of nearly all tyre making equipment and end product. Namely Michelin and Pirelli.

A little over-inflation (so long as it's BELOW the max cold figure moulded into the sidewall) is safer than under-inflation. Under-inflation creates excessive heat and dangerous wear to shoulder tread.

...sorry for been a little harsh on you kaptainrob wink.png ...4psi over proper settings with the hot tire it's probably OK and definitely better than under inflation,but most of the "mechanics" here don't have a clue about proper numbers,so it is always better to check yourself....I came back ones from the shop and one tire was 45 psi and the other 72 psi(!)psi...now that's dangerous !!...two in the back 29 psi(they probably forgot to "check" those)...BTW,the sticker on my car says 29 psi...smile.png

Hi funcat ....

...sorry for been a little harsh on you kaptainrob wink.png ...4psi over proper settings with the hot tire it's probably OK and definitely better than under inflation,but most of the "mechanics" here don't have a clue about proper numbers,so it is always better to check yourself....I came back ones from the shop and one tire was 45 psi and the other 72 psi(!)psi...now that's dangerous !!...two in the back 29 psi(they probably forgot to "check" those)...BTW,the sticker on my car says 29 psi...smile.png

I'd love to know how they got 72psi into your tyres ... no regulator on the compressor perhaps?

29psi huh... likely a 4 cyl car with ~ 60 series profile tyres.

Hi funcat ....

I'd love to know how they got 72psi into your tyres ... no regulator on the compressor perhaps?

...yes..but we've diverted from the original topic...sorry for that smile.png

Both batteries and tyres don't last as long as most westerners are used to. Expect to replace them after three or four years.

Tyres will last as long in Thailand as anywhere else depending on how YOU treat them. Always over-inflate by ~4psi on top of car manufactuers recommended highway pressures*. Eg: 32 + 4 = 36psi. [*Cold tyres]

If you leave it up to a SS boy to do your tyres they will regularly under-inflate. My TW has been told several times that I am wrong and "in Thailand not put too mutt wind in tyre". Seems they have it all backwards ....

Car manufacturers design 'suspension' around all components, which happen to include tyres, to ensure a comfortable ride. Having been involved with tyre manufacturing and supply, I can assure you that running at +4psi, is far safer for YOU and kinder on the tyres!

Would you over inflate if you were to make a long trip say like to Bangkok or a long and winding one to Mai Hong Son?

Hi funcat ....

You obviously know nothing about tyre inflation. Many trucks in LOS have an advised pressure of 29psi, loaded or not. rolleyes.gif .
  • Like 1

You obviously know nothing about tyre inflation. Many trucks in LOS have an advised pressure of 29psi, loaded or not. rolleyes.gif .

You are nearly correct, Light Truck tyre pressures start at ~ 33psi and range up to ~ 70psi depending on no of axles, single/dual tyres and loaded weight.

That does not include the suburban passenger car/pick-up fitted with radial tyres to which you may allude - refer original post re adding 4psi.

Edited by Tywais
Edited flame out.

Hi funcat ....

My sticker says 26psi, (Toyota truck)

As has been mentioned, most experience the opposite as far as tyre pressures go but it does turn out that tyres do deteriorate here over time. I was sceptical but it does seem to be the case.

My sticker says 26psi, (Toyota truck)

I don't doubt what you say Semper, but...

It can't be a truck, perhaps you mean pick-up?

If you have, say, a Hilux/Vigo, Toyota Thailand may have recommended a low inflation pressure for comfortable around town, lightly laden driving with passengers. However, 26 psi is not good for tyre wear, especially on the fronts which should be inflated to ~ 36 to 40psi for 205 70 15's. 26psi will be quite ok for rears, unladen, although I would run at 30 + for better tyre wear.

My recommendations are based on tyre knowledge, not the car manufacturer's recommendation to give you the softest ride. This debate started because it was stated that 'tyres do not last' ... if pick-up manufacturers are recommending 26psi, it's no wonder they don't last!

I hope someone finds this info helpful.

You are nearly correct, Light Truck tyre pressures start at ~ 33psi and range up to ~ 70psi depending on no of axles, single/dual tyres and loaded weight.

That does not include the suburban passenger car/pick-up fitted with radial tyres to which you may allude - refer original post re adding 4psi.

In LOS we call pick ups ''trucks'' smile.png

Your post stated if have 29psi thats for a 4 cyl car with low profile tyres, perhaps it is but a 4x4 and Prerunner Vigo has 29psi all round, loaded or unloaded in their radials.

Your post stated if have 29psi thats for a 4 cyl car with low profile tyres, perhaps it is but a 4x4 and Prerunner Vigo has 29psi all round, loaded or unloaded in their radials.

Yes, as a colloquial expression, many ppl call them 'trucks'. In this thread I am talking about - Light Truck (LT) tyres and/or radials fitted to passenger vehicles - cars and pick-ups, rather than heavy transport trucks/lorries/coaches.

I am not trying to argue - merely passing on information to save your tyres. If your Vigo is running 29psi in the front, wear will be uneven and steering heavier. Not that you'd notice as power-steering takes out all the effort. You will also use more fuel than if front tyres were inflated to ~ 36psi [cold].

Try it, you may be pleasantly surprised with results. :D

Yes, as a colloquial expression, many ppl call them 'trucks'. In this thread I am talking about - Light Truck (LT) tyres and/or radials fitted to passenger vehicles - cars and pick-ups, rather than heavy transport trucks/lorries/coaches.

I am not trying to argue - merely passing on information to save your tyres. If your Vigo is running 29psi in the front, wear will be uneven and steering heavier. Not that you'd notice as power-steering takes out all the effort. You will also use more fuel than if front tyres were inflated to ~ 36psi [cold].

Try it, you may be pleasantly surprised with results. biggrin.png

Sorry chum you are wrong. As an ex racer l am totally up to par with tyre inflation. Toyota state a cold pressure cos things will soon warm up with the weight of the vehicle and for sure psi will increase to provide the idea safe running of the wagon. In fact l have experimented on the Vigo and now run 29 rear and 32 front. Reason for the minor increase in the front was the extra weight of the 4x4 set up.

Over inflate and you will not have full tread contact, in the wet it could be lethal, thats why you see trucks rolled in the weeds cos there running daft pressures and lose traction.smile.png

Bought Boliden SMF battery on the road to the railway station a year ago, Charoen Muang.

Coming into town, pass the Superhighway there are some battery shops on your left, first or second, not sure.

For a pickup truck.

• Like 2