Toyota Hilux Vigo Prerunner

Bangkok Post

Friday, January 6, 2006

TOYOTA / HILUX VIGO PRERUNNER - Looking COOL

TAN T. SIRIKUL

4x4 vehicles are always high on the wish list of pickup enthusiasts. But those that actually use the four-wheel-drive system to its full capacity are far and few between.

The majority have a penchant for raising the suspension to elevate the vehicle ground clearance like most 4x4 pickups and use the two-wheel-drive mode instead.

And with the right Thai accent, the four-wheel pronunciation is morphed into four-ween.

If you own a four-ween, you are automatically bestowed the "cool" factor which supposedly makes you more special than the average motorist in the gridlock.

That's why car companies are producing two-wheel-drive pickups with high ground clearance with the 4x4 look, so to speak.

A pickup with the so-called 4x4 look in the Thai market is the dated Ford Ranger Hi-Rider which is about to be replaced by a new model this year.

The other two brands that make up the main card are the Isuzu D-Max Hi-Lander and the Toyota Hilux Vigo Prerunner. In fact, Toyota started this trend with the Hilux Tiger model.

The Prerunner comes in 3.0-litre form which is capable of 163hp and 343Nm of torque and is mated to a five-speed manual gearbox. It is offered in both double-cab and extra-cab bodies.

Let's start with the four-door version in the city which has great visibility thanks to its enhanced height. You get a clear view of the traffic ahead of you.

Under the hood is a 1KD FTV engine that runs smoothly and as agile as any large pickup in its class can be. Gear changes are executed with ease and the suspension is soft and takes care of potholes effortlessly. Your insides are safe.

Long-distance driving was the next test, and like the aristocrats of yore, we went to the serene beaches of Hua Hin.

Again, the engine is very smooth and a credit to Toyota engineers. And the fact that it doesn't have a 4x4 system makes it even more smooth on the tarmac.

Acceleration is good and responsive. Negotiating corners results in precise and accurate handling with easy control.

But if you attack corners at high speeds, then the Prerunner's height forces the vehicle to show some body roll _ a little adrenaline rush, but normal for a pickup with the extra height.

Brakes are discs up front and drums at the rear _ good and great feel for a predictable stopping distance.

The return trip from Hua Hin was done in an extra-cab Prerunner. From the outside, it's a two-door and differs from the double-cab in its 15-inch wheel size which is an inch smaller.

Apart from that, both the interior and exterior are identical.

However, the suspension set-up caters to cargo-hauling activities which is why the extra-cab is more rigid than the four-door version. How hard? Well, I took the Rama II route which is now famous for its deteriorating roads and the verdict was a lot of bruising to say the least.

Owing to the fact that it has 15-inch rims, handling isn't as good as that of the double-cab. You need a tad more effort when steering.

Everything else is the same. The interior is like a regular 4x4: neat-looking cream-coloured seats, CD/MP3, three-spoke steering wheel and only anti-lock brakes for safety.

The Hi-Lander and the Prerunner practically are slugging it out toe-to-toe in this perennial rivalry. Whatever gimmick one comes up with, the other seems to have a matching answer.

The Toyota Prerunner sells at 738,000 baht for double-cab and 656,000 baht for the extra-cab. The Isuzu Hi-Lander sells for about 625,000-765,000 baht, while the Ford Hi-Rider goes for about 614,000-693,000 baht.

The current Ford Ranger cannot compete as yet because it's dated. But if you bring in the next-generation Ranger, things will probably even up a bit.

The Prerunner has the upper hand over the Hi-Lander because of its more powerful engine. But the rest is basically on par.

The Toyota Hilux Vigo Prerunner is almost the complete package. An agile drive, quick on the road, accurate steering and smooth suspension for double-cab that delivers comfort.

The downside is that there should have been an automatic transmission as an option. Or maybe Toyota is weighing its options and waiting for other pickup powerhouses to make the first move.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good article but dont know wether i am being biast (spelling?) but i have a month old Highlander which i chose over the Vigo Prerunner.

They are both very similar but i thought that the ride and handeling of the Isuzu had the upperhand over the Vigo also with regards to speed there is nothing in it as my mate has the Vigo 4x4 and qwe have tested them to the full + the highlander put out 180 as appose to the vigos 160, i think those figures are correct but dont quote me. But as for the both of them there really isnt nothing in it and all is down to personal preference at the end of the day.

Happy motoring.

Mike

Putting big wheels/tyres (and chrome bits, and lights, and other 4x4-wannabe toys) on a car (or getting the prerunner) is kind of like stuffing your speedos before walking along the beach/pool. Or like putting spoilers and wings on a Hyundai Excel. Pointless, a waste of effort and overall pretty sad.

All you do is make ride/handling worse, increase drag/fuel consumption for NO extra benefit.. Come to think of it, all that bling likely costs more than a real 4x4 drive system, which frankly isn't that expensive. (Adds something like 70K to the price?)

Ground clearance.. if you don't take the vehicle off-road then you also don't need more ground clearance than a regular 2WD pickup.. (Already lots more compared to a saloon passanger car).

Actually I think I'd need the 4x4 drive before I need the extra ground clearance.. With 2WD (esp. rear wheel drive like pick-ups) it gets awkward pretty quickly in loose sand or mud or when you hit a ditch the wrong way..

I have the last of the old style prerunner auto 4 door before the vigo. When I bought it I thought I dont need 4x4. What a mistake I use to get stuck heaps of time even in my own driveway it got so bad I would go shopping drive to a mates place. load my shopping into his 4x4 just to unload it at home. Other times I have parked on a dirt parking lot and it has piss down with rain then tried to move the car and got stuck. But at the same time I have taking it over some ruff terrain in the dry and it copes very well and is a nice car to drive on the road. But the next one will be 4 x 4 for sure

Since I actually bought one of them, I suppose I should offer up my own reasons for doing it.

1) I live in suburban Bkk. I don't drive into town much, but I also don't go upcountry often either (aside from the occasional vacation. Since 99% of my driving is on paved, flat roads roads, didn't see the need for the 4wd. I understand that there are a lot of people who use them regularly, but I wouldn't have been one of them.

2) I like sitting higher in the air, since I've only been driving in BKk for about a year, I like that I can see my surroundings better.

3) I liked the look. Couldn't do the Isuzu because the headlights make it look like a giant insect. Ford, ugly. Mitsu - weak looking rear section, ugly. Chevy - As an American, I have a predisposition to hating Chevy's. I still remember all the crap vehicles they produced during my formative years (the 80's). Mazda - don't like the name. I like the look of the Toyota, but thought the tires on the 2wd looked undersized compared to the body. (Like an old guy with toothpick legs and a giant beer gut) If they were a little balanced I probably would have gone for the 2wd.

4) Im really tall (195cm), and I like not having to drop into the seat when I go to sit in it. Also, the tailgate is at a better height for me, when I load things.

So, those are my reasons. I'm happy with the purchase, and, I can't wait for delivery. (Sometime this month, Im told).

Peace

And a VTR 1000 is a poor mans Ducati

...and given the choice I'd still take the Honda. One of the guys down here has a 999 which I've ridden. It's one of, if not, the most uncomfortable machine I've ever been on - granted, it does look good ....... but it can't keep up with me :D

DSC00437.JPG

Since I actually bought one of them, I suppose I should offer up my own reasons for doing it.

1) I live in suburban Bkk. I don't drive into town much, but I also don't go upcountry often either (aside from the occasional vacation. Since 99% of my driving is on paved, flat roads roads, didn't see the need for the 4wd. I understand that there are a lot of people who use them regularly, but I wouldn't have been one of them.

2) I like sitting higher in the air, since I've only been driving in BKk for about a year, I like that I can see my surroundings better.

3) I liked the look. Couldn't do the Isuzu because the headlights make it look like a giant insect. Ford, ugly. Mitsu - weak looking rear section, ugly. Chevy - As an American, I have a predisposition to hating Chevy's. I still remember all the crap vehicles they produced during my formative years (the 80's). Mazda - don't like the name. I like the look of the Toyota, but thought the tires on the 2wd looked undersized compared to the body. (Like an old guy with toothpick legs and a giant beer gut) If they were a little balanced I probably would have gone for the 2wd.

4) Im really tall (195cm), and I like not having to drop into the seat when I go to sit in it. Also, the tailgate is at a better height for me, when I load things.

So, those are my reasons. I'm happy with the purchase, and, I can't wait for delivery. (Sometime this month, Im told).

I was only jesting. :o

You will be more than happy with it once it's delivered. I have a Vigo and they're nice motors. Enjoy it.

My Vigo

Vigodiagonal.JPG

Edited by VTR1000

I bought a 4wd as I had got bogged in my driveway a couple of times as well. You city folk don't know how it can get up country, I've seen 2 feet of water flowing over the road in the monsoon and the road to our house in the wet is deadly. Morte than once I've fallen off the bike and had my beers go flying out of the basket.

No, for an extra 80k I wasn't taking any chances.

I got an auto as well just because I could.

...and given the choice I'd still take the Honda. One of the guys down here has a 999 which I've ridden. It's one of, if not, the most uncomfortable machine I've ever been on - granted, it does look good ....... but it can't keep up with me :D

I two had a VTR for a while I traded my ducati 900 ss in for it :o

hey VTR you where trying to sell that bike a while back or where you the guy that brought it

I loved my old VTR I sold it when I came to Thailand :D

I two had a VTR for a while I traded my ducati 900 ss in for it :o

hey VTR you where trying to sell that bike a while back or where you the guy that brought it

I loved my old VTR I sold it when I came to Thailand :D

Yeah that was me. I've since sold it and as far as I know it's knocking around up in Bangkok somewhere.

Edited by VTR1000

• 1 year later...

Putting big wheels/tyres (and chrome bits, and lights, and other 4x4-wannabe toys) on a car (or getting the prerunner) is kind of like stuffing your speedos before walking along the beach/pool. Or like putting spoilers and wings on a Hyundai Excel. Pointless, a waste of effort and overall pretty sad.

All you do is make ride/handling worse, increase drag/fuel consumption for NO extra benefit.. Come to think of it, all that bling likely costs more than a real 4x4 drive system, which frankly isn't that expensive. (Adds something like 70K to the price?)

Ground clearance.. if you don't take the vehicle off-road then you also don't need more ground clearance than a regular 2WD pickup.. (Already lots more compared to a saloon passanger car).

Actually I think I'd need the 4x4 drive before I need the extra ground clearance.. With 2WD (esp. rear wheel drive like pick-ups) it gets awkward pretty quickly in loose sand or mud or when you hit a ditch the wron

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE ON STUFFING THE SPEEDOS, ALSO IM OFF OUT TO BUY A HYUNDAI EXCEL AND A BODY KIT, IVE ALREADY DONE THE FULL BLING ON MY VIGO ,GETTING A BIT BORED NOW, BY THE WAY WHERE DO YOU BUY BROUGES THESE DAYS ?

Actually I think I'd need the 4x4 drive before I need the extra ground clearance.. With 2WD (esp. rear wheel drive like pick-ups) it gets awkward pretty quickly in loose sand or mud or when you hit a ditch the wrong way..

• 1 month later...

Hi To All,

It seems that this forum is great! thanks to those who made this website possible. On the otherhand, I am an individual who just paid a downpayment on a Toyota 2wd prerunner.

I myself wsa driving since 12years old and now im in my mid 30's. Reading this forum and with some advices from guys like you, i still go for VIGO Prerunner.

Now my question is, is it better if i place a tournue on the cargo? (Carryboy) or the top up stylish cover? :o i frequently travel from bangkok to chonburi and i always use the motorway. i would like to secure my things from the cargo trunk the main reason i was asking.

Second queestion is, where to buy and how mcuh would it probably cost?

Thank very much for your out most response, it will be highly appreciated! :D

Bangkok Post

Friday, January 6, 2006

TOYOTA / HILUX VIGO PRERUNNER - Looking COOL

TAN T. SIRIKUL

4x4 vehicles are always high on the wish list of pickup enthusiasts. But those that actually use the four-wheel-drive system to its full capacity are far and few between.

The majority have a penchant for raising the suspension to elevate the vehicle ground clearance like most 4x4 pickups and use the two-wheel-drive mode instead.

And with the right Thai accent, the four-wheel pronunciation is morphed into four-ween.

If you own a four-ween, you are automatically bestowed the "cool" factor which supposedly makes you more special than the average motorist in the gridlock.

That's why car companies are producing two-wheel-drive pickups with high ground clearance with the 4x4 look, so to speak.

A pickup with the so-called 4x4 look in the Thai market is the dated Ford Ranger Hi-Rider which is about to be replaced by a new model this year.

The other two brands that make up the main card are the Isuzu D-Max Hi-Lander and the Toyota Hilux Vigo Prerunner. In fact, Toyota started this trend with the Hilux Tiger model.

The Prerunner comes in 3.0-litre form which is capable of 163hp and 343Nm of torque and is mated to a five-speed manual gearbox. It is offered in both double-cab and extra-cab bodies.

Let's start with the four-door version in the city which has great visibility thanks to its enhanced height. You get a clear view of the traffic ahead of you.

Under the hood is a 1KD FTV engine that runs smoothly and as agile as any large pickup in its class can be. Gear changes are executed with ease and the suspension is soft and takes care of potholes effortlessly. Your insides are safe.

Long-distance driving was the next test, and like the aristocrats of yore, we went to the serene beaches of Hua Hin.

Again, the engine is very smooth and a credit to Toyota engineers. And the fact that it doesn't have a 4x4 system makes it even more smooth on the tarmac.

Acceleration is good and responsive. Negotiating corners results in precise and accurate handling with easy control.

But if you attack corners at high speeds, then the Prerunner's height forces the vehicle to show some body roll _ a little adrenaline rush, but normal for a pickup with the extra height.

Brakes are discs up front and drums at the rear _ good and great feel for a predictable stopping distance.

The return trip from Hua Hin was done in an extra-cab Prerunner. From the outside, it's a two-door and differs from the double-cab in its 15-inch wheel size which is an inch smaller.

Apart from that, both the interior and exterior are identical.

However, the suspension set-up caters to cargo-hauling activities which is why the extra-cab is more rigid than the four-door version. How hard? Well, I took the Rama II route which is now famous for its deteriorating roads and the verdict was a lot of bruising to say the least.

Owing to the fact that it has 15-inch rims, handling isn't as good as that of the double-cab. You need a tad more effort when steering.

Everything else is the same. The interior is like a regular 4x4: neat-looking cream-coloured seats, CD/MP3, three-spoke steering wheel and only anti-lock brakes for safety.

The Hi-Lander and the Prerunner practically are slugging it out toe-to-toe in this perennial rivalry. Whatever gimmick one comes up with, the other seems to have a matching answer.

The Toyota Prerunner sells at 738,000 baht for double-cab and 656,000 baht for the extra-cab. The Isuzu Hi-Lander sells for about 625,000-765,000 baht, while the Ford Hi-Rider goes for about 614,000-693,000 baht.

The current Ford Ranger cannot compete as yet because it's dated. But if you bring in the next-generation Ranger, things will probably even up a bit.

The Prerunner has the upper hand over the Hi-Lander because of its more powerful engine. But the rest is basically on par.

The Toyota Hilux Vigo Prerunner is almost the complete package. An agile drive, quick on the road, accurate steering and smooth suspension for double-cab that delivers comfort.

The downside is that there should have been an automatic transmission as an option. Or maybe Toyota is weighing its options and waiting for other pickup powerhouses to make the first move.

this could be another reason they are coming with more ground clearance ! photoed today on sukomvit at pattaya at 3 pm

post-41326-1176128024_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikethevigoman

DSC00437.JPG

You will be more than happy with it once it's delivered. I have a Vigo and they're nice motors. Enjoy it.

My Vigo

Vigodiagonal.JPG

Vigo everytime ! heres mine

Dont know about "cool" but fed up getting stuck in the mud on my 3 times a year visit to the old "but and ben"so have got a deal with a local Co in CM to hire this on my soirees...its great...also makes you veyt welcome in the local golf clubs when lunching...

Even mentioned that I might make them an offer for it one day...if.....only...but.... :o

DSC00437.JPG

My Vigo

Vigodiagonal.JPG

Vigo everytime ! heres mine

post-41326-1176162326_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

vigoman

thats a cool ride!!!

the 4 door prerunner auto costs about 90K more than the normal 4 door vigo auto. I am wondering if it makes sense to buy the regular 4 door and use that 90 k to upgrade the suspension and big tires etc...

can anyone provide advice on this?

I have seen high performance aftermarket suspension kits for about 40K--i assume that includes lifting as well.

the 4 door prerunner auto costs about 90K more than the normal 4 door vigo auto. I am wondering if it makes sense to buy the regular 4 door and use that 90 k to upgrade the suspension and big tires etc...

AFAIK the Prerunner only comes in manual 2wd. You must be thinking of the auto 4wd?

AFAIK the Prerunner only comes in manual 2wd. You must be thinking of the auto 4wd?

I just checked with toyota 2 days ago--the prerunner 4 dr auto comes with leather and mp3 player 761K i have the priclist at home.

really ! i just sold my vigo, thought id have a change ,bought a navara, i hate it, its been an expensive lesson,i have a fortuner smart on order,

Why? You got a problem with mikethenavaraman?

That'll pass for a Thai surname.

really ! i just sold my vigo, thought id have a change ,bought a navara, i hate it, its been an expensive lesson,i have a fortuner smart on order,

Haha, Somchai Mikethenavaraman does have a local tint about it. :o:D

His first choice was possibly "mikethefrontierman"

Its a Frontier Navara!!

His first choice was possibly "mikethefrontierman"

Its a Frontier Navara!!

Alright.alright ! what about davy crocket ? any of you remember him ? king of the wild frontier :o ..and as for my forum name, we all make mistakes )( said the dalek climbing off the dustbin )