Inside The Lines

BeerMoney

When I was in elementary school, many of my classmates were seriously challenged to keep the crayon on the darn page, let alone within the lines. Last month I started teaching English and I used the coloring of cartoon animals, for the first graders, to teach colors and nouns—“blue shirt,” etc. I was taken aback by, in a class of 30, they each and everyone crayoned 100% within the lines. Not a stray mark to be seen. And, when told to draw in blue, the ones slower to respond would first carefully examine neighbor’s efforts to be sure to use the same shade of blue.

Speaks volumes?

An ENGLISH teacher who cant spell Colour?

nope, just a yank. they like to change stuff to make it their own.

rounders........................ baseball

rugby........................... american football

nascar..............................formula 1

tongue.png

tongue.png

Shouldn't that be "formula 1..........................nascar"?

don't sweat it, were you literate you would realize there is more than 1 way to skin a cat

You should have realised my comment was sarcasm and not an insult like yours. The fact that I could recognise the different spelling of Colour actually shows my literacy.coffee1.gif

tongue.png

Girls netball.................basketball

• Like 1

tongue.png

Girls netball.................basketball

Even the animal kingdom !

Pussy..................Ass :rolleyes:

First gratulations that you didn't choose "yellow" or "red" shirts.

Else half of the parents would have skinned you alive.....

This skill goes away later (maybe lao kao related), because all the house painters can't do it anymore

• Like 1

tongue.png

I think that may have been a test and you passed…

clap2.gif

TH

What does your classmates do for a living nowadays?

Well, in my first grade class with Mrs. Hogan, Buzz Aldrin was an astronaut and the 2nd man on the moon. K.J. Steer is still a senior broker in NYC. August Fleischman is a well-respected neurosurgeon, which obviously some of the posters here could use in an attempt to put their cranial rectalitis into remission.

Why are Brits so insecure? Next report card I'm going to mark the NO box in front of, PLAYS WELL WITH OTHERS for all of you juvenile commenters.

If you knew more than how to make a fool out of yourself, you'd know how much teachers here get paid, and then you'd understand my name. I'm actually not much of a drinker.

tongue.png

I think that may have been a test and you passed…

clap2.gif

TH

So that makes me a smart pommie now ! :(

you'd know how much teachers here get paid, and then you'd understand my name

Guess you mixed up your quotation. Never mind, beer is expensive in Thailand. You should stick to Lao Khao or Chinshun (sp) smile.png

Edited by Semper

Well, in my first grade class with Mrs. Hogan, Buzz Aldrin was an astronaut and the 2nd man on the moon. K.J. Steer is still a senior broker in NYC. August Fleischman is a well-respected neurosurgeon

Hey, you're the only one who made it ! Mrs Hogan would be proud. :rolleyes:

you'd know how much teachers here get paid, and then you'd understand my name

Guess you mixed up your quotation. Never mind, beer is expensive in Thailand. You should stick to Lao Khao or Shinshun (sp). smile.png

Yea, sorry Semper, that was directed at Southpeel, as were the other less than complimentary comments. I'm using the school's computer and the keyboard is full of yogurt and the mopnitor's screen looks like an Etch-a-Sketch used by a psychotic having a siezure -- hard to see anything.

Well, in my first grade class with Mrs. Hogan, Buzz Aldrin was an astronaut and the 2nd man on the moon. K.J. Steer is still a senior broker in NYC. August Fleischman is a well-respected neurosurgeon

Hey, you're the only one who made it ! Mrs Hogan would be proud. rolleyes.gif

I didn't say what I retired from as I am so very modest. wink.png

Hey, you're the only one who made it ! Mrs Hogan would be proud. rolleyes.gif

I didn't say what I retired from as I am so very modest. wink.png

No go ahead, you can kill me afterwards. :rolleyes:

You made an interesting observation O/P and I suppose it's something to do with hand-eye co-ordination. Whilst I should not imagine that Thai youngsters are better developed at this at an earlier age, it does seem to be unusual and perhaps there are some universal tests you could access in order to discover more.

Dominant hand, dominant eye etc. Mixed preferences or whatever.

As a general fact, and probably nothing at all to do with anything here, Asians are reknowned for the good hand eye co-ordination needed in such sports as table tennis and squash, in which they excel.

I had an English friend once who was in special education and he was insistent upon the fact that dyslexia was only common to the English Language. Whether this was true or not, I would not know. But all this kind of thing would seem to come into the basic skills repertoire that is taught to infants in England.

You made an interesting observation O/P and I suppose it's something to do with hand-eye co-ordination. Whilst I should not imagine that Thai youngsters are better developed at this at an earlier age, it does seem to be unusual and perhaps there are some universal tests you could access in order to discover more.

Dominant hand, dominant eye etc. Mixed preferences or whatever.

As a general fact, and probably nothing at all to do with anything here, Asians are reknowned for the good hand eye co-ordination needed in such sports as table tennis and squash, in which they excel.

I had an English friend once who was in special education and he was insistent upon the fact that dyslexia was only common to the English Language. Whether this was true or not, I would not know. But all this kind of thing would seem to come into the basic skills repertoire that is taught to infants in England.

Wow, an intelligent response! What a treat, thank you!

Maybe it is hand-eye coordination, but for some reason I was thinking it had to do with conforming.

Well, in my first grade class with Mrs. Hogan, Buzz Aldrin was an astronaut and the 2nd man on the moon. K.J. Steer is still a senior broker in NYC. August Fleischman is a well-respected neurosurgeon, which obviously some of the posters here could use in an attempt to put their cranial rectalitis into remission.

Why are Brits so insecure? Next report card I'm going to mark the NO box in front of, PLAYS WELL WITH OTHERS for all of you juvenile commenters.

Buzz Aldrin is 82 now (b. January 20, 1930).

Having said you were in the same class as him, aren't you a little old to be embarking on a second career?

That's to do with education

I bet it's a Thai school

From salute and singing to national anthem, gym routines in perfect lines, to general discipline in class, Asian schools are more or less like military boot camps compared to western schools.

Edited by aneliane

Buzz Aldrin is 82 now (b. January 20, 1930).

Having said you were in the same class as him, aren't you a little old to be embarking on a second career?

Well, back in those days, we used one curriculum for the first two years, Dick and Jane. Yes, Buzz was a few years ahead of me, but with the same teacher, in the same room. His class was one of the first to use it, my class was the last to use the Dick and Jane series, as it was criticized as being innefective! Things certainly have gone downhill from there.