Royal Orchid Plus Vs Air Canada Gold Card

diggerdo

I have a gold star alliance card with Air Canada aeroplan, but now due to a change of living arrangements I will be flying mostly with Thai airways, Star alliance say that if I stay with Air Canada I keep my gold status which still gives me the gold privileges with Thai Air Royal Orchid plus, but my air miles will be added to my Air Canada account ....so my question is should I just forget about my Air Canada gold card and start fresh with Thai Air ?

Instead of a single Star Alliance frequent flyer programme, you simply just earn miles on your own member airline frequent flyer programme when you travel with any Star Alliance member airline. As you reach certain status levels in your frequent flyer programme, you will then qualify for the equivalent Gold or Silver Star Alliance status. This entitles you to a whole range of additional benefits including lounge access, extra baggage allowance, priority boarding, standby status and reservations.

For example

If you are a member of the TAP Portugal Victoria® programme and you fly with ANA, just present your Victoria card at check-in and you will automatically earn miles on your Victoria account. These miles will also help you to qualify towards Star Alliance Gold or Silver status.

You can fly with Thai and earn miles on your Air Canada card.

I am in the same boat myself - I have Air Canada Elite status (gold alliance) for 2012.

For this year, I will keep enjoying our gold status but not for 2013 as I will not be flying as much. Be aware that aeroplan has changed its qualifying criteria for 2014. You need to accumulate over 50,000 status miles during 2013, in order to keep the gold status. Same deal with Royal Orchid plan.

If you know that you will be flying over 50,000 miles each year, you will be able to retain the gold status with Star Alliance with either Air Canada or Thai airways.

I am also in the same boat, and in order to qualify for AC*G there is now a minimum on AC metel.

You need to earn at least 10,000 Status Miles or 5 Status Flight Segments on eligible flights operated by Air Canada or Air Canada Express (operated by Jazz, Air Georgian Limited (doing business as Air Alliance), Exploits Valley Air Services LTD or Sky Regional Airlines). Note that Air Canada Status Miles earned in conjunction with an Unlimited Flight Pass count towards the Air Canada Minimum Flight Requirement. However, Bonus Air Canada Status Miles earned through promotional activities do not.

I have really enjoyed Aeroplan for over 10 years their booking site is so easy now, I have family top up points at Esso & Sobeys' but I doubt I'll be flying back to Canada meaning I wont qualify, so I'll be TG now. The only thing I am trying to trace is if I qualify for the Million Mile club which would entitle me to Gold for life. The other thing to consider is EVA will be joining Star Alliance in 2013, so we have lots of options to fly to Canada (YYZ)

Bottom line is TG is better for me as I don't have to worry about flying AC.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan/top_tier2013_faq.html#faq:5-0-1-2-3-4-6-7-8-10-*

perhaps it should be noted that you retain your Gold status for 2 years with ROP plan but only one year for Air Canada, so it may be more benficial to switch to ROP especially if you reside in the region! Also, when I book airline travel rewards a few days or weeks in advance with ROP there are always seats available on my dates, however with AC you get little or no selection unless you book MONTHS in advance, ie, 6 months or more! With either program you enjoy star alliance benefits worldwide. Switch to ROP, you will be better off for it!

Instead of a single Star Alliance frequent flyer programme, you simply just earn miles on your own member airline frequent flyer programme when you travel with any Star Alliance member airline. As you reach certain status levels in your frequent flyer programme, you will then qualify for the equivalent Gold or Silver Star Alliance status. This entitles you to a whole range of additional benefits including lounge access, extra baggage allowance, priority boarding, standby status and reservations.

For example

If you are a member of the TAP Portugal Victoria® programme and you fly with ANA, just present your Victoria card at check-in and you will automatically earn miles on your Victoria account. These miles will also help you to qualify towards Star Alliance Gold or Silver status.

You can fly with Thai and earn miles on your Air Canada card.

Cheers Frits, but if I earn Star Alliance miles while flying with Thai Air on my Air Canada card does that mean I can only spend them with Air Canada or for example would I be able to use them towards an up grade on Thai Air ?

Cheers Frits, but if I earn Star Alliance miles while flying with Thai Air on my Air Canada card does that mean I can only spend them with Air Canada or for example would I be able to use them towards an up grade on Thai Air ?

You can use your miles on any star alliance carrier, but you have to book reward fligths with your program, i.e. Aeroplan card, you book through Aeroplan. Royal Orchid card , you book through Royal Orchid.

Aeroplan status gives you e-upgrades. Elite/gold status requires booking a minimum Latitude fare (full fare economy). I believe Super Elite allows the use of Tango+ fares. These upgrades are only good on AC.

Aeroplan has a much easier reward redemption process and more flight availability if you are in Canada, but sucks if you want anything on a TG or SQ routing. I suggest you go and read the information at flyertalk. They have comparisons, heavy duty frequent flyers in elite and super elite status and people that know the programs inside and out.

• Like 1