Dog Killings Reported In Layan And Patong

Phuket Post

Dog killings reported

PATONG - LAYAN CULL

Residents and animal lovers of Phuket are warned to be on the look out for their pets after a recent spate of animal killings. Two major mass kills have taken place in the last week. The first was in the Layan area, north of Bangtao beach, where it has been reported that a farmer rounded up 35 to 40 animals then poisoned and shot them in an attempt to protect his livestock. It is understood many of these dogs were household pets taken from the street.

The second spate of of killings took place in the Nanai road area of Patong. It has been estimated that over 100 dogs have been poisoned within the space of a few nights. The majority of these dogs were not even strays but much loved household pets. The Phuket Post is currently investigating who the culprits may be.

http://phuket-post.com/article.php?id=127

Who lets their pets roam all over the streets anyway?

Do you own a dog Florin? Often people just don't have the land for their dogs to have a bit of freedom, and to keep a dog stuck in a little compound or whatever isn't very nice. I live in a townhouse, no land what so ever, so my dog is in the street, the door is always open for her to come indoors when she wants to though. In my experience here owned dogs (pets) stick to their own small area of the street, my dog never goes more than a couple of houses either side of us.

No, I don't own a dog...

Your comment is fair enough, I guess dogs are more docile around here and don't run away...nevertheless, leaving a dog outside all day does expose it to all sorts of potential perils. Even in a quiet soi someone is bound to not brake in time :o

I'm lucky, my soi has speed bumps, though sometimes the idiots still bounce over them at speeds I would never attempt it at! Dogs do become streetwise, they quickly learn to get out of the way if something is coming, except my dog. When I come home either on my bike or in the car, she knows the sound of them, she will 'wait' for me in the middle of the road, and only moves at the last second, I swear that one day I'll run her over!

Have had too many good friends hurt from coming off their motorbikes, or, mountain bikes due to stray dogs to offer any sympathy. Many friends have also been bitten. Strays are out of control in Phuket and the various sterilization projects active in Phuket, though well meaning, is just not keeping up with the birth rate.

The lives of all the dogs on the island is not worth the life of one human being in my opinion.

To the poster that leaves his dog outside - why don't you do what millions of owners do in the west? Take the dog out for exercise on a leash everyday and keep it inside at other times. Leaving them to roam in the streets is irresponsible and is illegal in most developed countries.

If you don't have a suitable residence, don't own a dog.

To the poster that leaves his dog outside - why don't you do what millions of owners do in the west? Take the dog out for exercise on a leash everyday and keep it inside at other times. Leaving them to roam in the streets is irresponsible and is illegal in most developed countries.

Very well said. just because one can own a dog doesn't mean one is capable of owning a dog.

No 1, To the best of my knowledge my dog has never bitten anyone, and I think that, at the very least, someone would have told me if she had done.

No 2, She has been speyed.

No 3, She's not a stray, she's a well cared for, clean and well behaved dog and wears a collar with nametag.

No 4, Have you ever tried taking a dog for a walk outside it's own little area? Dogs in thailand very territorial, they get a little unhappy when another dog enters it's area.

I live in a quiet soi, my neighbours often make a fuss of her, give her tidbits and have never said anything detrimental about her. Just because my dog is out in the street doesn't mean she's causing any problems. The only complaints I've had are from people that know nothing about me, my dog, where I live, how I live or anything.

I agree with the stray dog problem and the other problems that dogs cause in this country, but that's a 99.999% Thai induced problem, so have a go at them, not me.

Well said.

Couldnt agree more. I love dogs, have always had dogs at home when i was growing up and my dog (golden retriever) currently lives with my parents in BKK. I miss her a lot and would love to have her here with me in Phuket.

However, I cant because i live in a townhouse and it wouldn't be fair on her. I also wouldn't dream of allowing my dog to roam around in the street.

Sierra - i assume your dog does its business in your house or at least cleans up after itself. I'm sick of treading in the dog doo that my neighbours dogs spread around the place.

Personally, i wouldn't mind one bit if there were some dog killings near me. Sorry to say that, but people who own dogs need to be more responsible and considerate to their neighbours.

I've lived in 3 different types of enviroment in Thailand, village, town, and now Bangkok, and I have rarely seen any dog poo in the street. What I have seen is usually well dried out and half eaten by insects.

So you'd rather keep a dog shut up all day indoors, except for the twice daily walk, if it's not raining, if you don't have something else to do etc?

I can see that no matter what I say I'm going to get slagged off, the high and mighties have spoken.

I've lived in 3 different types of enviroment in Thailand, village, town, and now Bangkok, and I have rarely seen any dog poo in the street. What I have seen is usually well dried out and half eaten by insects.

So you'd rather keep a dog shut up all day indoors, except for the twice daily walk, if it's not raining, if you don't have something else to do etc?

I can see that no matter what I say I'm going to get slagged off, the high and mighties have spoken.

Leaving your loved pet, your dog run around loose in the city is simply irresponsible. Not just for the sake of of others but for the protection of your "beloved pet".

The worst city in the world for dog poop on their sidewalks has to be Paris, France! What a filthy place that is!

Phuket Livestock Chief insisted any dog poisoning is not related to his policy of eradicating stray dogs while Patong Municipality urged people who witness any dog poisoning to report them.

Following a report of mass dog poisoning in Patong and Layan beaches leading to out-cries from animal protection groups, the Chief of Provincial Livestock Office Sunart Wongchawaritkul insisted that his office has no policy of poisoning the animals. He stressed that his measures do not relate to such killings and that they only do neutering and take dogs to the shelter at Bang Kanun forest. The Soi Dog Foundation earlier informed Andaman News that there were reports of a large number of dogs being poisoned in a few locations on the island. Meanwhile public health officials from the Patong Municipality also denied the operation saying that its garbage van found 20 dogs dead from poisoning while also receiving complaints from the public on the same issue. The official said he is investigating the problem. He stressed that the Patong Municipality regularly conducts dog neutering and vaccinations by joining hands with foreign organizations and pointed out that dog poisoning is against the municipality's regulations. Anyone witnessing such operations should report to the municipality offices.

Andaman News TV11 Phuket, broadcast to Phang Nga, Krabi & Phuket + Radio Thailand FM90.5 Phuket, 8.30am Wednesday 11th January 2006 & www.Thaisnews.com

Who lets their pets roam all over the streets anyway?

Do you own a dog Florin? Often people just don't have the land for their dogs to have a bit of freedom, and to keep a dog stuck in a little compound or whatever isn't very nice. I live in a townhouse, no land what so ever, so my dog is in the street, the door is always open for her to come indoors when she wants to though. In my experience here owned dogs (pets) stick to their own small area of the street, my dog never goes more than a couple of houses either side of us.

I to had a dog like this when I lived in Rangsit that I sort of adopted. He was just a pup that the people in the flats started to feed. But ended up being being more my dog than anyone else. Took him to the vet a few time to get shots as the missus was scared I would catch something. And would sleep on the stairs leeding to my flat.

He soon grew into a fine strong dog almost looking like a red healer and was king of the soi until he was run over by the tractor building the road in the soi. He was and still is half cripled. I tried to take him to N/E Thailand when I left but the people down the road said it was there dog :o

He still remembers me every time I go to vist friends and I genaraly pop into the noddle shop and buy a large chunk of pork to feed him

Now days I am lucky enough to have a large yard and fenced block for my dogs

But I dont think I will forget my old soi dog

Edited by Rigger

Leaving your loved pet, your dog run around loose in the city is simply irresponsible. Not just for the sake of of others but for the protection of your "beloved pet".

The worst city in the world for dog poop on their sidewalks has to be Paris, France! What a filthy place that is!

She doesn't 'roam' the city, she stays within a 100M length of a quiet dead end soi in the suburbs.