Should I Tell Them I'm A Yank?

thaibebop

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I . . . wondered if there are some people in Thailand who would rather not be friendly with a Yank.

an American was beaten for innocently asking a group of Britrash, watching “footie” on the tellie in a bar in Chiang Mai, whether they also liked American football.

well he shouldnt have asked such a stupid question :o

I . . . wondered if there are some people in Thailand who would rather not be friendly with a Yank.

an American was beaten for innocently asking a group of Britrash, watching “footie” on the tellie in a bar in Chiang Mai, whether they also liked American football.

well he shouldnt have asked such a stupid question :o

these yanks have no manners :D

Just remember you are a Yankee Doodle Dandy and you can't change....and if ever you think you can sink a few beers and stay up to speed with an Aussie beer drinker, I'd love to shout you a couple of ales, slap you on the back and enjoy your company.....until you collapse in a drunken heap leaving us Aussies to carry on drinking alone.

(Why is it Yanks always seem to collapse when it's their shout?) :o

Guess you never met the right Yank!! :D

It be right, I like you and your posts....!

Some septics are ok..... :D:D:D

The next Guinness is on me.....

redrus

Count me in :D:D

Expat yanks tend to be more "acceptable" than the domestic type :o

Which--even were it true--is irrelevant, as the opposite holds true for the Brits, or, at least, for the English in particular. In the English case, the best of breed tends to remain in blightly, being so well paid there for the ability to speak English if nothing else. What gets flushed to Thailand continually surfaces in negative news reports, for example, just yesterday:

"Football violence from Soi Beokeow. One English man sustains a stab wound to his leg."

http://www.pattayacitynews.net/news_25_01_49.htm

A few more recent examples:

"Out-of-control English man causes an early morning stir in South Pattaya."

http://www.pattayacitynews.net/news_03_01_49_2.htm

"Welsh man presents a fake 20 Pound Sterling Note to Bank in Soi Beokeow."

http://www.pattayacitynews.net/news_30_12_48_2.htm

"Pattaya Police arrest 6 people, 5 from England with Cocaine, Ecstasy and Marijuana."

http://www.pattayacitynews.net/news_26_12_48.htm

"Shooting at an English owned construction site. Failure to pay salaries is the suspected motive for the attack."

http://www.pattayacitynews.net/news_25_11_48_2.htm

All of which goes to underscore the truth of the old saying, "You can take the Brit out of the council estate, but not the council estate out of the Brit."

For further research please pay a visit to the British Culture Center located at The Dog's <deleted>, Soi Yamato, Pattaya.

post-14882-1138238260_thumb.jpg

I live in an area where there are not a lot of Farangs or at least not in my circle of friends. For most of the people I am the only American they will ever know with any kind of familiarity. I have been kicking around Asia for 30 years or so on and off living in Thailand, Vietnam and Taiwan.

I am a quiet guy, probably because half of my family is Canadian and I spent a lot of early years there in some pretty remote areas with no one to talk to. I have Aussie friends and English friends and even went out with a Dutchman and his Thai wife last week. I can’t say I really hit it off with the Dutchman he was a little too loud for me but his wife and I got on well together.

I have a Thai lady friend who has been after me to fix her up with an American. She kept on and on about it so I did although the guy was just a casual acquaintance (big mistake). He struck me as a little loud for my taste but he spoke fluent Chinese and seemed at home in an international atmosphere. We went out a couple of times and I began to see some things I did not like very much. It was hard at this point to reverse myself and tell the sweet little Thai lady that the guy was not a good deal for her. It was also hard for me not to judge the guy as an American.

When living in the States I moved from Colorado to Texas. Just for the hel_l of it in bars when people in Texas asked me where I came from (I don’t have an identifiable accent) I would tell them “Colorado, you know Colorado, that place where good Texans go when they die”. Then we would either have a fight or they would congratulate me on having brass balls and buy me a drink. I liked a lot of people I met in Texas. But, darn they became complete idiots when taken out of Texas. The everything is bigger and better in Texas syndrome. Even if they are right, no one wants to hear about it. New York people on the other hand were idiots in New York and outside of New Your so at least they were consistent.

Personally I have met many more people from Australia and Great Briton and New Zealand that I have liked than New York. Although that is not saying much because I have never met anyone from New York that I have liked.

As far as speaking English there are pockets of America that speak very good English. Most Americans from North of the Mason Dixon line with a Masters from a reputable University in the Liberal Arts speak decent English.

Our education system when technical does not emphasize spoken English. If one listened to John Kerry in the past elections you could hear the patrician East Coast English accent. It drives most Americans up the wall because they think it is being snobbish. Americans don’t care much for snobs (with the exception of Massachusetts which might as well have stayed a British colony) we have that in common with the Australians. People outside of the US wonder why Bush got elected. Mickey Mouse could have got elected running against John Kerry and the Democratic party platform. It was not that the American people liked GW Bush. Kerry was everything the American people don’t like. $500 dollar haircuts, loves everything French, an obvious snob, turned his back on his comrades in arms after the Vietnam conflict. I could go on but America is a nation of working class people. You can’t pull the snob card and hope to win. That’s precisely the reason why Bill Clinton won. He was a good old boy and a Rhodes Scholar too. Americans have always had a love affair with things British.

Americans have a distrust of Europe because we feel we have to do the dirty work to insure your safety. We feel a kinship with England and Australia because they help.

Most Americans are not in favor of our foreign policy in Iraq although they understand the need to control Iraq oil in light of Iranian nuclear posturing.

Most Americans are not in favor of our foreign policy towards Israel although they realize without that policy there would be another holocaust.

Most Americans don’t want napalm or land mines or greenhouse gasses or global warming. But we don’t know what to do about it. Our politicians are bought and paid for by expensive lobbies and because of the two party primary system we are helpless to change it.

As a result of changes in American voting laws in the 1950’s the two party system was locked into American law. Very few people even political science majors know how futile it is for America to try and generate a third party which is the only hope of reversing the business/political power machine that has grabbed control of the American government.

The people are not running the show anymore.

OK I am sorry. This is my blanket apology to the world. I am sorry I can’t do anything about it. Democrats are just as bad as Republicans and after voting for third parties for 25 years it did not make a bit of difference so I came to Thailand.

For those of you who think I do not know of what I speak, let me tell you I am well connected. I have an ex brother in law who’s cousin is the trash guy at the main office of the CIA.

I know the plans for the Middle East.

Since I like everyone here on Thaivisa I will share them with you because they are of great economic importance to Thailand.

As we speak the CIA is recruiting through Issan and other parts of Thailand for bar girls and A Go Go dancers. The plan is to open 1000 Thai bar beers and A Go Go’s in the Middle East.

Every knows that the most highly addictive substance on the planet Earth is Thai women.

As it stands now when a Middle Eastern power makes a dollar on oil 99 cents of it goes into a Swiss Bank account or real estate in New Jersey. But the new CIA initiative will change all that.

These bar beers and A Go Go’s will be built in free trade strips and guarded by Bulgarian UN troops. There has only ever been three Bulgarian men to enter Thailand since 1937 when Bulgaria passed a law forbidding Bulgarian men from entering the Kingdom. If you have ever met a Bulgarian woman the reason behind this law is obvious.

When the Bulgarian troops are introduced to the Thai ladies that they are protecting they will become the fiercest fighting unit in the world.

There will also be large billboards of Israeli backpacker chicks with Uzi posted along the barb wire fence to remind everyone about the grass being greener thing.

After 12 months of these free trade zones the flow of oil cash will have changed from Swiss Banks to the Thai Banks of Issan. Issan real estate will begin it’s meteoric rise as will the price of water buffalos.

After 60 months the economy of the world will have shifted from oil to Thai Bar girls.

For those people who are fortunate enough to live in Thailand now and have invested in real estate or water buffalo herds the profit will be immense.

You have probably noticed large SUV’s cruising in rural areas of Thailand with a lone star and long horns painted on the sides of the vehicles. These are the forerunners of the American investors that will soon begin to arrive in Thailand and marry up any available ladies and buy as much of the country as is for sale.

Americans have never been shy about taking advantage of economic opportunity and they will be coming to Thailand in hoards to take advantage of the new balance of power shift from petroleum to Thai Bar Girls.

Edited by kerryk

I live in an area where there are not a lot of Farangs or at least not in my circle of friends. For most of the people I am the only American they will ever know with any kind of familiarity. I have been kicking around Asia for 30 years or so on and off living in Thailand, Vietnam and Taiwan.

I am a quiet guy, probably because half of my family is Canadian and I spent a lot of early years there in some pretty remote areas with no one to talk to. I have Aussie friends and English friends and even went out with a Dutchman and his Thai wife last week. I can’t say I really hit it off with the Dutchman he was a little too loud for me but his wife and I got on well together.

I have a Thai lady friend who has been after me to fix her up with an American. etc. etc.....

No wonder everybody hates us! :o

What the h3ll was that?

So, KerryK, is that a yes or no?

Bargirl CIA agents, man, that sounds like a bad movie plot. :o

Just a satire on stereotypes. Forgetting national stereotypes, there are the same stereotypes even in one city, like New York or London (London boys South of the river always deliver). The same ethnic jokes. I did want to point out that since the 1950’s Americans have not been able to choose leaders by popular vote because of changes in the primary voting laws. The country is locked into a two party system which narrows the political process and allows few choices for government. The choices to compete have to be very well financed and that means selling out to special interests. David B. Truman wrote a couple of books about it, The Governmental Process (1951), and The Congressional Party (1959) if anyone really wants to know the details. Truman was also one of the few people to read Hillary Clintons Graduate Thesis before it got locked away never to be seen again.

About the movie plot, you are right. I am working on a script where Thai Bar girls save the Western world through a superior intelligence network and introducing Go Go‘s to the Middle East.

About the movie plot, you are right. I am working on a script where Thai Bar girls save the Western world through a superior intelligence network and introducing Go Go‘s to the Middle East.

can I do the casting? :o

What the h3ll was that?

So, KerryK, is that a yes or no?

Bargirl CIA agents, man, that sounds like a bad movie plot. :o

Just a satire on stereotypes. Forgetting national stereotypes, there are the same stereotypes even in one city, like New York or London (London boys South of the river always deliver). The same ethnic jokes. I did want to point out that since the 1950’s Americans have not been able to choose leaders by popular vote because of changes in the primary voting laws. The country is locked into a two party system which narrows the political process and allows few choices for government. The choices to compete have to be very well financed and that means selling out to special interests. David B. Truman wrote a couple of books about it, The Governmental Process (1951), and The Congressional Party (1959) if anyone really wants to know the details. Truman was also one of the few people to read Hillary Clintons Graduate Thesis before it got locked away never to be seen again. I agree with you on the two party system failure. But, I think more people in the world judge us not so much by our leaders but what we as a people do. So, while I am sorry that Bush is president and I would be sorry of Kerry was president, how I am treated as a yank in another land is going to be more based off of our culture (movies, music) and what interactions people have had with other Americans.

I would keep the Middle East out of it and stick with some tale about Bargirls teaching the West how to have fun again. Like some sort of StripTease Musical in the tradition of The Music Man or Anything Goes. A Cole Porter inspired Bargirl Can-Can routine would be the highlight of the show. It would certainly revive Broadway. :D

obviously i am from the usa. (doninusa) I have been all over the world as well. In the UK I attended Queens college Oxford. people in London are like people in new york city. big city, big jerks. Bangkok seems to be one of the few big cities where people are still accomodating. I like to think of the world as big city versus small town. I have yet to find predominately rude people in a small town anywhere, usa, uk, thailand or even, gulp, france. The larger the city, the less friendly the people.

As for political discussions, who cares. the average citizen can do nothing anywhere. big corporations are now in charge everywhere. welcome to the geocorporate conglomerate ruling the world.

obviously i am from the usa. (doninusa) I have been all over the world as well. In the UK I attended Queens college Oxford. people in London are like people in new york city. big city, big jerks. Bangkok seems to be one of the few big cities where people are still accomodating. I like to think of the world as big city versus small town. I have yet to find predominately rude people in a small town anywhere, usa, uk, thailand or even, gulp, france. The larger the city, the less friendly the people.

As for political discussions, who cares. the average citizen can do nothing anywhere. big corporations are now in charge everywhere. welcome to the geocorporate conglomerate ruling the world.

I agree about the small town large town thing although TV is making that difference smaller. I think there is another demographic that is fairly well represented and that equates to horse’s behinds on an international level.

There is a music conference every year in Miami that gathers all the DJ’s and DJ wannabees and all those into the D&B, techno, hip hop, house and all those other keen new forms of music. I realize it is the sworn duty of every generation to invent music that will absolutely freak out the older generation but in this case it is not the music that is doing the freaking. It’s the ex lawn maintenance people now star DJ’s that are completely obnoxious.

It is my experience that this lack of manners, culture, cleanliness and common sense in general completely crosses all national boundaries. There are DJ’s there from all over Europe and Australia with an inordinate amount from England and they are all people you would not let walk your dog.

I can’t help but wonder if my parents said the same thing when I came home from Woodstock. Naw, we were cool.

Son,

Why in gawd’s name you gonna let a buncha jealous eurotrash & down & out down-underers put you on the defensive? Ain’t you noticed that the Asians love Americans and ain’t too crazy about these other falangs? (They don’t tell them that, of course.)

First: get over this silly ‘yank’ term. They don’t define you, you do. They be too stupid to even know the difference between a yank and a reb.

It drives em mad that they can’t be #1 so they be like the school-boy who insults the pretty girl who won’t go out with him.

Until their boring countries can produce a Muhammed Ali, Lance Armstrong, Bob Dylan, Elvis Presley, Tiger Woods, Harley Davidson, Bill Gates or Clint Eastwood, they’ll have to settle for whining on these forums and trying to get the best rate for their currency.

Why hel_l, half of em can’t even talk American!

post-21404-1139120295_thumb.jpg

Son,

Until their boring countries can produce a Muhammed Ali, Lance Armstrong, Bob Dylan, Elvis Presley, Tiger Woods, Harley Davidson, Bill Gates or Clint Eastwood, they’ll have to settle for whining on these forums and trying to get the best rate for their currency.

Why hel_l, half of em can’t even talk American!

post-21404-1139120295_thumb.jpg

Well done; best p+ss take response I have seen in a while, very Droll slim chance! :o:D

Is harley Davidson a man though, a bike or a legend? That is an interesting conundrum.