Asylum Seeker Vessel Carrying Over 200 Capsizes Off Indonesia

Asylum seeker vessel carrying over 200 capsizes off Indonesia < br />

2012-06-22 09:47:06 GMT+7 (ICT)

SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA (BNO NEWS) -- More than 100 people have been rescued after a boat carrying about 200 asylum seekers capsized off the coast of Indonesia on Thursday, officials in Australia said on early Friday. Around 90 people are still believed to be missing.

The Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) said the ill-fated vessel capsized approximately 109 nautical miles (201 kilometers) south of Java, which is within waters where the Indonesian government is responsible for search-and-rescue operations. It happened about halfway to Christmas Island, which is part of Australia.

Australia's Home Affairs Minister Jason Clare said it is believed approximately 200 people, all of them male, were on board the vessel. "At this stage, we have been able to rescue 110 survivors," he said. "Three deceased adult men have now been recovered. Some of the survivors have sustained injuries. The surviving passengers are now being transported to Christmas Island, where they'll continue to receive medical care."

Weather conditions are hampering the rescue work, but confusion between Australian and Indonesian authorities may have delayed the rescue work.

Clare said AMSA's Rescue Coordination Center began to receive calls from a vessel at around 10 p.m. local time on Tuesday evening. The vessel indicated it was experiencing difficulties, but no information was given about where the vessel was located. At around 1:30 a.m. local time on Wednesday, the vessel reported it was approximately 38 nautical miles (70 kilometers) south of the Indonesian mainland.

AMSA advised the vessel to return to Indonesia, which was closer than Christmas Island, but it is believed the vessel continued towards Australia despite experiencing difficulties.

"At approximately 3.15 p.m. on Wednesday, a Customs and Border Protection surveillance aircraft undergoing routine surveillance detected a vessel that was suspected of being the source of these distress calls," Clare said on Friday. "The vessel was travelling in a southerly direction, and there were no visual signs of distress reported."

Despite the Australian aircraft seeing no visual signs of distress, the crew of the vessel continued to make phone calls to AMSA throughout Wednesday and advised it was still experiencing difficulties. But it was not until Thursday morning that Australia's Border Protection Command received additional information that raised concerns about the safety of the vessel.

"The Border Protection Command patrol boats were moved north of Christmas Island in anticipation of a possible search and rescue response," Clare said during an early morning press conference. "A Customs and Border Protection Command surveillance flight departed Christmas Island just after 1 p.m. eastern standard time yesterday (Thursday) and was specifically tasked to locate the vessel."

At approximately 3 p.m. on Thursday, the Border Protection Command surveillance aircraft discovered the asylum seeker vessel had capsized halfway between Java and Christmas Island. "MSA issued a request for assistance to merchant vessels in the area, and offered its assistance to the Indonesian Search and Rescue Authority," Clare said. "The surveillance aircraft continued to monitor the situation."

About two hours later, at approximately 5 p.m. on Thursday, a RAAF P3 aircraft arrived at the scene and dropped a number of life rafts which were able to carry up to 40 people. "When the Dash 8 arrived on the scene yesterday afternoon we found about 40 people that were on top of the upturned hull and other people that were holding onto debris as much as three nautical miles (5.5 kilometers) away from the scene," the minister added.

A total of 110 people had been rescued as of Friday morning and authorities are hopeful more survivors could be found. "The advice I have is that the water temperature is 29 degrees Celsius (84.2 Fahrenheit), the sea state is sea state three, and that people can survive out there for up to 36 hours, if they have either life jackets or they have debris to hold onto," Clare said. "So we're in that critical window, where there's a chance where more lives could be saved, and that obviously is where my focus is right now."

Among those rescued was a 13-year-old boy, the only child believed to have been on board the vessel.

So far this year, the Australian Navy has intercepted 4,176 irregular maritime arrivals (IMAs), most of them coming from Afghanistan and Iran who use Indonesia as a transit region. As of March 31, a total of 4,197 people are being held in immigration facilities while 1,712 people have been approved for a residence determination to live in the community.

This month alone, authorities have caught at least 1,038 asylum seekers who attempted to reach Australia by boat, indicating a sharp increase in the number of new arrivals. A boat intercepted by the HMAS Wollongong near Christmas Island on Thursday morning was carrying 117 people alone, following the capture of two boats carrying more than 120 asylum seekers a day earlier.

Australia's Migration Act 1958 requires people who are not Australian citizens and who are unlawfully in Australia to be detained. This law has been heavily criticized by the United Nations and human rights organizations as many asylum seekers are in detention for months. In 2010, a total of 4,612 irregular maritime arrivals were intercepted by the Australian Navy.

However, the boat journeys made by asylum seekers are not without risk, as demonstrated by this weeks accident. In December 2010, at least 30 people were killed when a boat carrying more than 90 asylum seekers sank off the coast of Christmas Island. Forty-two people were rescued, while an unknown number of people remain missing.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2012-06-22

What happened to those nice shiny new boats that the Australian taxpayer gave to Indoneasia to help deal with this problem of boatpeople? Why is it that the Australian Navy can get into "Indoneasian Waters" quicker than the Indonesian Navy? Why are these people rescued in Indoneasia being taken to Australia?

Great job by the Australian Military for saving human lives, but I still have my opinions on boatpeople.

• Like 1

I thought it was just a European problem..Afghans going to OZ on a boat..al beit via Indo...but hey, suppose its welcome to the 21st Century....where do they get the idea to go there?..we are all aware the problems they have and human nature is to have a better life for yourselfe and family as I have left Europe for SE Asia a long time ago...but with a bit more planning..........what is the answer, Western governments should leave others to get on with their own affairs, a classic example being Iraq and one of the most disturbing things I have seen is the hanging of Saddam, be he a murderer etc I feel it was very wrong for the actions of NATO and allies, is this why many nationals from troubled countries are now seeking a better life elsewhere. When will it stop

Australia's Home Affairs Minister Jason Clare said it is believed approximately 200 people, all of them male, were on board the vessel.

Now there's a coincidence 200 people on the boat and not a single female amongst them. I guess the persecution these would be refugees suffer is exclusively directed at single males as I can't imagine many husbands leaving their wives to fend for themselves.

This is in marked contrast to the 75% women and children who were turned away from Bangladesh when fleeing Burma - The difference is clear as night and day.

..... These illegal Immigrants are simply economic refugees and should be sent back to Indonesia. Afghans have a lot more in common with Indonesian society and beliefs than they do Australia so no reason other than the generous handouts to go to Australia.

...and a few years down the line they become malcontents and start campaigning for sharia law in Oz.

Talkin about biting the hand that feeds you..

182110_420159038028644_729450536_n.jpg

I'm thinking why are these people that are being rescued in Indoneasia being transported to Australia, they are already in a country but being taken out to another. Australia wants to stop them coming from Indoneasia then personally gives them a free ride.

I'm thinking why are these people that are being rescued in Indoneasia being transported to Australia, they are already in a country but being taken out to another. Australia wants to stop them coming from Indoneasia then personally gives them a free ride.

Hmmmm very strange indeed ..

Maybe they dont want to go to Indonesia ,not too many free lunches there ...

Australia's Home Affairs Minister Jason Clare said it is believed approximately 200 people, all of them male, were on board the vessel.

Now there's a coincidence 200 people on the boat and not a single female amongst them. I guess the persecution these would be refugees suffer is exclusively directed at single males as I can't imagine many husbands leaving their wives to fend for themselves.

This is in marked contrast to the 75% women and children who were turned away from Bangladesh when fleeing Burma - The difference is clear as night and day.

Maybe some (or all) are on a jihad mission ...all men right ?On a little revenge expedition Think about it,

We Westerners are such suckers .!

• Like 1

Maybe some (or all) are on a jihad mission ...all men right ?On a little revenge expedition Think about it,

What a load of crap. Just as a reminder the people on the boat were from Sri Lanka. Tamil Tigers do not have a track record of targeting western countries; indeed the twenty year Sri Lanka civil war is now over. A terror organisation would not send a team via this method as all refugees/asylum seekers are vetted by Australian government security organisations.

What a load of crap. Just as a reminder the people on the boat were from Sri Lanka. Tamil Tigers do not have a track record of targeting western countries; indeed the twenty year Sri Lanka civil war is now over. A terror organisation would not send a team via this method as all refugees/asylum seekers are vetted by Australian government security organisations.

cheesy.gif Yea great job they do. After they are let in they form a plan to attack the Holsworthy military base in the name of allah.
  • Like 1

"After they are let in they form a plan to attack the Holsworthy military base in the name of Allah".

Correct

Yep, thanks for your hospitality and kindness but in the name of allah we now have to kill you and that is just one isolated incident.
  • Like 1

........ A terror organisation would not send a team via this method as all refugees/asylum seekers are vetted by Australian government security organisations.

cheesy.gif Yea great job they do. After they are let in they form a plan to attack the Holsworthy military base in the name of allah.

Is this the incident that you are referring to? I think the judge said it very well !!!

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/three-would-be-terrorists-jailed-for-plotting-sydney-army-base-attack/story-fn7x8me2-1226223584865

• Like 1

........ A terror organisation would not send a team via this method as all refugees/asylum seekers are vetted by Australian government security organisations.

Is this the incident that you are referring to? I think the judge said it very well !!!

http://www.heraldsun...2-1226223584865

Nice way of saying thank you for accepting our refugee/political asylum request.

• Like 1

Here is, IMO a very good and balanced article by previous Immigration misister Vanstone.

That 'come on down' sign is costing lives

Amanda Vanstone

June 25, 2012

Opinion

• Read later

Howard's strong policies meant more refugees but fewer boats.

SURELY after another known tragedy of lost lives because people smugglers are able to sell unsafe places on boats to get to Australia, the Gillard government will finally shut the door on people smuggling.

The government must now remove the so-called pull factors that encourage people to risk their lives. Labor must take down the ''Come on down'' sign that makes some of its supporters feel so good, but actually costs lives.

When I was minister for immigration in the Howard government, one of the Indonesian ministers visited Australia to discuss border protection, among other things. My job was to reinforce the reasoning for our then strong border protection policies. He had a very sombre approach, but when I said ''Ada gula ada semut'' - ''where there is sugar ants will be'' - he had a glint in his eye. It is just common sense.

Tough border protection is not about being anti refugees. This is a ruse run by do-gooders who, in contrast to their sweet self-image, like to peddle hatred by asserting that people who don't think as they do are racists or uncaring.

During my time as immigration minister, we increased our intake of refugees, through the United Nations refugee agency, by a massive 50 per cent, while maintaining strong border protection. And we stopped the boats. For the government to now offer to set up an independent inquiry to look at the effectiveness of these policies seems to me no more than an unnecessary stalling tactic.

The people that use people smugglers fall within a range of categories, some with better credentials to take a refugee place than others. What all the boat arrivals have in common is a desire for Australian permanent residence and, hopefully, citizenship. But the UN Convention does not give a right to choose the country in which one will be protected.

I think it is fair to say that those who have travelled through three or four other countries before coming to Australia are no longer fleeing persecution but are rather seeking the citizenship of their choice. Who wouldn't want the golden visa card that Australian permanent residence or citizenship brings? While that is on offer, we are tempting people to get on the boats.

The government needs to reintroduce both offshore processing and temporary protection visas, or a variation thereof. Something that says: ''If it becomes safe for you, we will assist you to resettle home. In the meantime, phone home and tell them they are not coming.''

The Malaysian solution was never going to be all the government hoped. A half-smart people-smuggling network would quickly send 800 people to Australia for no fee, just to fill the limited number Malaysia was prepared to take. They may even then pay for those 800 to get from Malaysia back to Indonesia. Then the boats with paying customers would start again. It might increase their cost of doing business, but it would not stop the trade. What will do that is taking the goodies off the table.

Last Monday on this page, former Liberal prime minister Malcolm Fraser made a contribution to this debate, labelling the Coalition's policy both evil and inhumane. It's the use of these words that got him the headline and it is typical of the hate-style politics that some seek to practise. (We've seen a bit more of it over the past week in the ''Let's get stuck into Gina'' campaign.) Fraser might like to consider what humanity there is in continuing to attract people on to these boats when so many have lost their lives in horrific circumstances.

He says Australia does not have an asylum seeker problem because the percentage of people arriving unlawfully by boat is small compared to the number of people who cross our borders each year. It is an apple-and-orange comparison.

The fact that millions of people do lawfully enter and leave Australia each year has nothing to do with the fact that thousands are choosing to land on our shores with the aid of people smugglers, having passed through other safe countries so they can live in the land of the golden visa card.

Where we are the country of first asylum, as we were with the Indonesian West Papuans in 2006, of course there can be no question. They did not go through three or four other countries first in order to force our hand. We were their nearest port of call, and we gave protection. They were a completely different category to those on the boats that come through Indonesia.

Thankfully, in a free country such as Australia everyone is entitled to voice their opinion. Former prime ministers are no exception. But I don't recall hearing Fraser's former nemesis and now friend, Gough Whitlam, publicly attacking his own party in the way that Fraser has.

There are plenty of people keen to argue the case for leaving onshore processing in place, for community detention and for letting almost everyone stay. With a throwaway line of ''send back the ones who are not refugees'', they reveal how little they know of the difficulties in doing just that.

These people are engaging in conspicuous compassion - it is more a statement to the world about how they would like to be seen than it is about the object of their concern. It is nothing more than the politics of convenience.

There is nothing humane or compassionate about enticing people to risk a horrific death.

For heaven's sake, take the sugar off the table.

Read more: http://www.theage.co...l#ixzz1ylgvbGQs

Edited by Will27
  • Like 1

Now we have a second boat in Indoneasian waters carrying 150 people that sends out a distress signal and again it is Australia that comes to thier aid because Indoneasia say they do not have the resources. Indoneasia was supplied with 4 nice new patrol boats by Australia for this very thing but Indoneasia are using them for ilegal fishermen. Wake up Australia you are being conned. The boat people will jump on this oppertunity and before we know it there will be a 3rd, 4th, and 5th boat load of people sending out distress calls in Indoneasian waters because they know it will be the Australian who come and get them and take them straight to Australia. It will become a new tatic to get into Australia.