Where Are The Best Hamburgers In Bkk?

profidamus

I shall reiterate one of my previous posts.....

Burgers are sold mainly to enable the seller to get rid of fat, gristle,skin and emulsified bone......thou knowest not what thou eatest!

CAVEAT EMPTOR!!

Burgers are sold because people like to eat them. :o

Burgers are bought and eaten by people who

a.Have no taste.....Most of the flavour is supplied by MSG, ketchup,onion,and melted fat

b.Should know better. There is plenty of information available about this....but many choose to ignore the facts.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Burgers are sold mainly to enable the seller to get rid of fat, gristle,skin and emulsified bone......thou knowest not what thou eatest!

CAVEAT EMPTOR!!

a.Have no taste.....Most of the flavour is supplied by MSG, ketchup,onion,and melted fat

b.Should know better. There is plenty of information available about this....but many choose to ignore the facts.

Fat tastes gooood! Try not to get a nose bleed while on your soapbox. Everything in moderation. IMHO.

CAVEAT EMPTOR!!

Fat tastes gooood! Try not to get a nose bleed while on your soapbox. Everything in moderation. IMHO.

Wimpy knows! :D

CAVEAT EMPTOR!!

What exactly do you eat? Does your dinner look like it belongs on the bottom of a hamster's cage? LOL

What exactly do you eat? Does your dinner look like it belongs on the bottom of a hamster's cage? LOL

I eat practically any and everything...except burgers and sausages...and other processed meats....not after working in a meat processing factory...and seen and SMELLED the utter crap which goes into those terrible things....my stomach still churns at the thought......believe me.....after seeing it in the FLESH[ mostly putrid]............neither would you.....or anyone else with any brain matter!

Good Burgers in Bangkok....... The Bulls Head Soi 33 .....Big Mango Nana Etertainmwnt Plaza.... Chock Chai Steak House Soi 23....... The Dubliner Soi 22/1......

Bad Burgers in Bangkok...... The Londoner soi 33......... Larrys Dive Soi 22..... Tee Sut Issan Soi Rangnam........ The Stand outside Nana Entertainment Plaza.

This interesting and informative thread is at risk of being hijacked by food nazis. We are talking about "homemade" , "boutique" or "gourmet" burgers here, not mass produced or corporate offerings.

If you're down Hua Hin way the Great American Rib Co. just down from the cop shop toward the beach 2nd floor in a little plaza does a really fine big gristle-free burger with super crispy curly fries. Excellent stuff, as good as I've had in North America and better than 95%.

My only grip is they tack on 10% service and 7% tax to give you indigestion.

I hate that crap, it reminds me of Canada. Just put it in the price and don't surprise me on the bill.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Here's the deal folks. You need a certain amount of fat to make a tasty burger (i like 20%). You also need some spices to add some flavor(minced onion, sea salt, pepper, and a little oregano). Then you need to cook it on an open flame. Tastes vary on the quantity of the first two but there can be no argument on the fire. Do what I do and make your own. I do the same for Mexican food as well. To raise the level of fat, talk to the butcher at Villa and explain what you want and he will mix you some. Last week I tried using an Au Bon Pan double cheddar jalepeno bagel toasted on the grill instead of a bun. Delish. Mayo, mustard, crisp lettuce, and tomoato. Lastly, don't burn it. Cook it medium rare. As a previous poster commented "that's why we have immune systems". I loved that. Nice thread though.

I love A+W root beer, and I tried burgers at both the Pantip and Silom outlets. Both places served burgers with meat that tasted "old" - fortunately, I didn't get sick from either encounter. Forewarned is forearmed, and four-armed is half an octopus.

The WORST burger I can recall ever eating (eating only part of it) was at the A+W Root Beer place in Silom Complex. It tasted rancid.

The BEST burger I have had in Thailand was at Mike's in Chiang Mai.

Finally!

After two years of extensive eating, I've found my personal choice for "best hamburger" in Bangkok.

This is not the best hamburger I've ever eaten, but it is quite fine overall.

And for the price, the quality is a very nice value, too.

The restaurant is Chokchai Steakhouse near Asoke.

More about that below, but, first, the hamburger:

On the menu, it is listed as a "steakburger", and indeed it is.

The flavour is certainly that of properly-aged, premium, steak -- not the pre-shaped patties served in many restaurants.

The meat texture is freshly ground -- not something that has been waiting in a freezer since the last ice age.

The burger is thick -- a generous portion -- although not as huge as, say, the burger at the Nana Coffee Shop.

post-4014-1153685435.jpg

It comes on a fresh bun which was lightly toasted.

Of course, there are slices of tomato and cucumber on the side, plus a small serving of very delicious coleslaw.

I liked the coleslaw a lot, but I wanted more than that small sample.

Next time I will order an extra side dish of that coleslaw.

I was hoping for steak-house-style chips, but, alas, that was not to be.

The french fries are a packaged, commercial, variety -- quite decent, just bland.

The steakburger at Chokchai comes in two varieties.

Plain at 120 baht.

On that plain burger, cheese is free -- a nice touch.

Or order with bacon and grilled onions and cheese and special sauce for 150 baht.

I ordered that fancy option, but next time would just have the plain with cheese.

The bacon and onions weren't needed with an already tasty burger.

The special sauce was a chutney, made, I think, with pineapple.

I don't know if that chutney comes with the plain burger, but I certainly enjoyed the taste addition.

The only problem was I ordered medium, but the burger came rare: barely warm and dark pink inside.

That shows the meat is fresh -- not frozen -- but I don't care for rare.

Maybe my Thai language ability is not as good as I thought?!

Next time I'll order well-done and see what happens.

Chokchai Ranch also runs a large diary operation, and they have a milk and ice-cream shop right next to the restaurant.

For dessert I ordered a butterscotch ice cream sundae.

Their ice cream is at the "premium" level of flavour and fat content -- richer, more dense, than Swensons

The butterscotch sauce was fine, but, I'll bet, came out of a jar.

A generous sprinkling of roasted cashew nuts on top.

An honest value at 55 baht for that sundae.

The service at Chokchai Steakhouse is outstanding.

The staff is exceptionally well-trained for any restaurant in this price range, anywhere.

For Thailand, their level of training is uncommonly high.

The restaurant is moderately small: only 25 tables, but there were about eight waiters/waitresses, three area captains and a room manager.

Everything moved with smooth, well-rehearsed, efficiency: remember this is in Thailand!

Meal platters came out of the kitchen steaming and sizzling.

When a table was finished, waiters would descend and immediately clean and re-set with careful precision.

I was impressed.

This should be a white-table cloth place -- that is the level -- but the tables are actually wood with leather place-mats, in keeping with the steakhouse theme.

The water glasses have long stems: the water doesn't taste any better that way, but it is an indication of the attention to quality.

The decor is bright, but an ersatz version of what some Thai thinks an American ranch-house should look like:

pine lumber studs criss-crossing the ceiling, white canvas shrouds trying to imitate covered wagons.

Everything is very clean.

Even the toilet room had been cleaned in the corners.

Other patrons were up-scale travelers -- business-class -- and some locals, many wearing office shirt-and-tie.

There were none of the backpacker crowd with their dread-lock hair, short-leg trousers, and sweat-stained t-shirts.

I enjoyed Chokchai Steakhouse so much, that I went back again a few days later.

For the second meal, I ordered beef kebab: two huge skewers of beef, onions, sweet peppers, tomatoes and pineapple chunks, plus that same, delicious, chutney.

So much food that I needed a take-home box.

There are more expensive hamburgers in Bangkok, but, so far, I've never found one with a better-taste.

Add in the quality of service and the cleanliness, and it makes the Chokchai steakburger my favorite hamburger.

Location is on Sukhumvit soi 23.

From Asoke sky-train or Sukhumvit subway station, an easy, 10 minute walk North on Asoke Road.

Turn right (East) at Sino-Thai Tower and continue towards soi 23.

Or, from the back entrance of Soi Cowboy, at soi 23, go North approximately 371 metres.

Chokchai is on the West side of soi 23, on the ground floor of a cluster of small shops.

Here's the web site with menu and map: Chokchai steakhouse

I just returned from consuming the 120 baht burger at Chokchai. It was good but so tiny it fit in the palm of my hand! My companion had one also and it was the same size. I'm not a big eater, but I wouldn't call this a proper burger. More like an appetizer.

Finally!

After two years of extensive eating, I've found my personal choice for "best hamburger" in Bangkok.

The flavour is certainly that of properly-aged, premium, steak -- not the pre-shaped patties served in many restaurants.

The meat texture is freshly ground -- not something that has been waiting in a freezer since the last ice age.

The burger is thick -- a generous portion -- although not as huge as, say, the burger at the Nana Coffee Shop.

post-4014-1153685435.jpg

Of course, there are slices of tomato and cucumber on the side, plus a small serving of very delicious coleslaw.

The french fries are a packaged, commercial, variety -- quite decent, just bland.

Plain at 120 baht.

Or order with bacon and grilled onions and cheese and special sauce for 150 baht.

I ordered that fancy option, but next time would just have the plain with cheese.

I don't know if that chutney comes with the plain burger, but I certainly enjoyed the taste addition.

The only problem was I ordered medium, but the burger came rare: barely warm and dark pink inside.

Chokchai Ranch also runs a large diary operation, and they have a milk and ice-cream shop right next to the restaurant.

Their ice cream is at the "premium" level of flavour and fat content -- richer, more dense, than Swensons

The staff is exceptionally well-trained for any restaurant in this price range, anywhere.

The restaurant is moderately small: only 25 tables, but there were about eight waiters/waitresses, three area captains and a room manager.

Everything moved with smooth, well-rehearsed, efficiency: remember this is in Thailand!

When a table was finished, waiters would descend and immediately clean and re-set with careful precision.

I was impressed.

This should be a white-table cloth place -- that is the level -- but the tables are actually wood with leather place-mats, in keeping with the steakhouse theme.

The water glasses have long stems: the water doesn't taste any better that way, but it is an indication of the attention to quality.

The decor is bright, but an ersatz version of what some Thai thinks an American ranch-house should look like:

pine lumber studs criss-crossing the ceiling, white canvas shrouds trying to imitate covered wagons.

Other patrons were up-scale travelers -- business-class -- and some locals, many wearing office shirt-and-tie.

There were none of the backpacker crowd with their dread-lock hair, short-leg trousers, and sweat-stained t-shirts.

For the second meal, I ordered beef kebab: two huge skewers of beef, onions, sweet peppers, tomatoes and pineapple chunks, plus that same, delicious, chutney.

There are more expensive hamburgers in Bangkok, but, so far, I've never found one with a better-taste.

Add in the quality of service and the cleanliness, and it makes the Chokchai steakburger my favorite hamburger.

From Asoke sky-train or Sukhumvit subway station, an easy, 10 minute walk North on Asoke Road.

Or, from the back entrance of Soi Cowboy, at soi 23, go North approximately 371 metres.

Chokchai is on the West side of soi 23, on the ground floor of a cluster of small shops.

I just returned from consuming the 120 baht burger at Chokchai. It was good but so tiny it fit in the palm of my hand! My companion had one also and it was the same size. I'm not a big eater, but I wouldn't call this a proper burger. More like an appetizer.

I am willing to give the hamburgers the benefit of the doubt, but the steaks are the worst I have ever had. Chewing my tennis shoe would have been more tasty. I took a customer there who is a big steak lover and I was a little embarrased. I've since learned why imported beef is so popular here.

Finally!

post-4014-1153685435.jpg

Plain at 120 baht.

I was impressed.

I am willing to give the hamburgers the benefit of the doubt, but the steaks are the worst I have ever had. Chewing my tennis shoe would have been more tasty. I took a customer there who is a big steak lover and I was a little embarrased. I've since learned why imported beef is so popular here.

So why didn't you have the imported steak available at Chokchai?

Here's the deal folks. You need a certain amount of fat to make a tasty burger (i like 20%). You also need some spices to add some flavor(minced onion, sea salt, pepper, and a little oregano). Then you need to cook it on an open flame. Tastes vary on the quantity of the first two but there can be no argument on the fire. Do what I do and make your own. I do the same for Mexican food as well. To raise the level of fat, talk to the butcher at Villa and explain what you want and he will mix you some. Last week I tried using an Au Bon Pan double cheddar jalepeno bagel toasted on the grill instead of a bun. Delish. Mayo, mustard, crisp lettuce, and tomoato. Lastly, don't burn it. Cook it medium rare. As a previous poster commented "that's why we have immune systems". I loved that. Nice thread though.

You are correct and the proper cut to use or have ground is chuck

which has about 20% fat, the main problem other than poor quality of beef used in Bangkok is people always think bigger is better, the best in the USA is an In-N-Out is maybe a 1/4" thick, you want more just order a double or triple but a single allows you to savor the tastes of all the ingrediants combining, 1000 island dressing is a great touch as well

I can't take the time to read all the posts, but the best burger I've had in Bangkok is at the Emporium Mall (by the Queen's park, and at the Prom Phong BTS stop) in Piri Piri's Flaming Chicken restaurant. Is that the right name? I think so, it's been a while. I think most people know where Emporium is, but as it's been a while since I've been in Bangkok, maybe i got the BTS stop name wrong, too. Anyway, I've had the burger there three times and that's the only place in Thailand that I can remember the burger being so good. I don't think fast food has good burgers at all, like McDonald's etc. but A&W has the best out of the fast food places in Thailand, in my opinion. Particularly the one at Jet Jiffy petrol station on route 1 towards Saraburi just offer exiting the outer ring road (coming from Minburi).

If you're down Hua Hin way the Great American Rib Co. just down from the cop shop toward the beach 2nd floor in a little plaza does a really fine big gristle-free burger with super crispy curly fries. Excellent stuff, as good as I've had in North America and better than 95%.

My only grip is they tack on 10% service and 7% tax to give you indigestion. I hate that crap, it reminds me of Canada. Just put it in the price and don't surprise me on the bill.

The HH location is an offshoot of the original over on Sukhumwit Soi 36. Apparently they have a Pattaya location now too (just checked their web site). They do have the most passable burger I've eaten as well as the only thing approaching realistic American BBQ. So, if you're in Bangkok and craving something off their menu you can get it here as well.

Roadhouse BBQ over here in Silom tastes pretty decent when it comes to BBQ, but it's not authentic with respect to sauce at all and I'm dubious as to whether the meat is actually smoked. Their burgers suffer from European Burgeritis in my opinion, but I genuinely do like the place and the staff and I don't want to give the impression that I don't, as I eat there weekly. However, if we're talking rating on an un-handicapped scale then they could do some work on the burger.

This whole burger debate really emphasizes the cultural differences in burger expectations. I'm from Texas, arguably the place most identified with beef eating culture in America. Certainly recognized in most places I've been for hamburgers and other beef dishes like American style BBQ (when people even know what it is, which is rare). If the comments here and the burgers I have eaten in European style establishments here are any indication, Europeans (and Aussies) seem to like gigantic patties that overmatch the bun and favor toppings that would be considered bizarre to the American burger culture. A fried egg, to my knowledge, is nearly unheard of as a burger topping in America - it would certainly raise an eyebrow. A beet would be as well. Patty/bun proportion is also a very important thing that I see got wrong quite a bit. The point isn't to have as much meat as possible, it's to have the patty be thinner than the bun so that the portion of condiments and accoutrements complements the meat itself. You will find mega-patty hamburger joints in the US, like Fuddruckers, but even then they cook specially sized buns that accommodate this. The patty should also be flat and not get noticeably fatter in the middle (another pet peeve). Anyway, this is all subjective and my opinion, but I think the general lack of a (I don't know how to put this) distinctive American expat culture here lends itself to a cargo cultish foreign interpretation of what a burger should be (the same way we Americans have our own cargo cultish impressions of what other nations' foods are).

On the flipside, I guess if you like what you're putting in your mouth then it really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, but I like to know that what I'm eating is authentic, so I criticize watered down Thai cuisine in America as much as I do watered down burger cuisine internationally. It's all a mystery to a number of Americans I speak with because it's not a hard formula to follow, but I guess it does rely on having enough good beef to use some for chuck and remain profitable. Whatever the case, I do really appreciate these threads because they motivate me to go out and try new establishments, so I'm personally thankful for all the suggestions (Like The Barbican over in Little Tokyo - I didn't even know they had burgers!).

(God help us if we have another Tex Mex thread. The burger options here are positively wonderful compared to what is promoted as Tex Mex by some otherwise fantastic restaurants.)

Edited by on-on

• 5 months later...

as a fairly satisfied regular customer of mike's burgers in chiang mai, i was pleased to see a mikes has opened on silom. i gave it a try yesterday. it appears he has some quality control issues to deal with. my burger contained large chunks of gristle and bone. not pleasant at all. hope he gets it sorted.

I had a decent burger at Steak1 a few months back, and if you get there about 6pm and grab a window seat you can watch "they who cannot be named" walking past on their way to work at Nana Plaza.

If you're interested in that sort of thing of course. :o

Went to the Big Mango ...[snip]... The music was awful, too loud and the usual Thai dance/techno..dissapointing. The service was fine but I didn't appreciate the repetitive screams every time a member of the staff potted a ball.

Thank you for the warning.

Just lost my appetite reading that.

I've been reading about the great burgers at Big Mango, but unless they offer delivery service, I won't be repeating your research.

Then you'd be making a huge mistake.

The part of the Big Mango the poster is talking about is an upstairs floor, a place I've only been to hit the head. Downstairs on the main floor there is a very pleasant bar area and a huge, wrap-around balcony with a great view out over Nana Plaza.

Get a burger, sit out there to enjoy it, and soak up the endless vistas of what made Bangkok famous. No pool tables, no techno music (or any other kind). Just movies or sports on the big flat screen and pleasant company. You can't do better. Really.

Well, you have sold me, sounds a great place.. I will check it out.

no pool, no techno, that sold me.

I had a decent burger at Steak1 a few months back, and if you get there about 6pm and grab a window seat you can watch "they who cannot be named" walking past on their way to work at Nana Plaza.

If you're interested in that sort of thing of course. :o

Steak1 no longer exists.

A note on the door says that the landlord refused to renew the lease.

Mike's Burgers in Bangkok is not the same as Chiang Mai Mike's.

It probably won't be the same for at least a few months (a year??) until the staff gets trained. We ordered 2 cheeseburgers (1 bacon and 1 mushroom) yesterday and both came back with no cheese. How can you Eff something that basic up esp. when the wife ordered in Thai???

That's the last time I will eat there for at least 6 months. Hopefully that will give the staff time to get trained. In the meantime, back to Greyhound for a much better hamburger.

How does the owner expect Thai people with little experience eating hamburger would know how to cook them. I guess training by osmosis is the unfortunate standard in Thailand.

Beef is definitely a major problem at Silom as it is full of gristle. Very Poor quality.

French fries undercooked.

Coke was fine.

Service horrible and very slow. I asked the cashier about the "Grand Opening Special" that advertised a free upgrade to large size on "value meals". Server first said he didn't know about it and then said it had been cancelled since the signs were now down. Bad publicity.

Prices are too high for what is offered at Silom. I dont mind paying for quality but it isnt there...

EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED.