Thai Police Hunt For Portuguese Men In Phi-Phi Island Hotel Death Case

webfact

Eating the wrong type of Mushroom could also lead to death. Magic mushrooms{ Psilocybin mushrooms } , a favorite for young traveller in Thai beach resort towns are safe. However the people who go out and get these things are not exactly experts and mistakingly picking the wrong species of mushrooms could be deadly and has been deadly here in Thailand in the past. Could it be possible that the girls didn't seek help for fear of being in trouble with the law for consuming illegal drugs ? I think it is plausable.

Bed bug insecticide poisoning doesn't seem to fit with the symptoms. They would have needed to have ingested large amounts of the chemical to produce the severe symptoms the girls had. And how many nights had they been in that room before their deaths ? And yes. It would be reasonable to suspect that if they treated the room for bed bugs then they would not have only treated the one room.

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What really worries me is what were the staff doing whilst these girls suffered. I can't believe this all went un-noticed. Surely they would have called for help or even contacted the hotel staff or reception .......... did they just stand by and hope it would get better or just go away? - The "Thai way"?????

As reported by other guests on Trip Advisor there is essentially nobody at the reception area at night other than a guy sleeping on a couch in the reception area..... so maybe they did try to get help but was late at night and no staff around... secondly ... which housekeeper knocks on a door and doesn't go in to clean when there is no response / answer ... ?? That is usually when they do come in .......This is the weirdest thing I have read about in the news about Housekeeping saying .. there was no answer so we thought they wanted to sleep more .... and 1 1/2 days later still thinking the same thing ..?? As I posted previously ... they must have left the keys at the reception for Housekeeping to think they were still in the room ... but in small places like this people usually take their keys with them especially when you know you will be out late and maybe there will be no one at reception to give you back your key when you come back

A quik search on the travel forums reveal bug problems at this hotel.

http://www.agoda.com...ce/reviews.html

And am sure this hotel was never closed down after these deaths and not even was the room sealed and closed off and also off limits to any other guests untill results, answers were brought to light ... these are the things that are most annoying when we talk about Police and Investigation inefficiencies and make us all angry... we are not bashing Thailand but c'mon !! just look at the procedures here and on other past cases ...

A quik search on the travel forums reveal bug problems at this hotel.

http://www.agoda.com...ce/reviews.html

And am sure this hotel was never closed down after these deaths and not even was the room sealed and closed off and also off limits to any other guests untill results, answers were brought to light ... these are the things that are most annoying when we talk about Police and Investigation inefficiencies and make us all angry... we are not bashing Thailand but c'mon !! just look at the procedures here and on other past cases ...

Nobody else has become ill in the room. So sounds like they handled it properly unlike your assumptions. There are various news reports of CSI and various health officials checking the room that day and the following days.

There are no report of the room being sealed, unsealed or for how long or if opened what steps were taken to disinfect it ... kind of the same things that are not reported anywhere else but where untrained people don't jump to conclusions.

What really worries me is what were the staff doing whilst these girls suffered. I can't believe this all went un-noticed. Surely they would have called for help or even contacted the hotel staff or reception .......... did they just stand by and hope it would get better or just go away? - The "Thai way"?????

As reported by other guests on Trip Advisor there is essentially nobody at the reception area at night other than a guy sleeping on a couch in the reception area..... so maybe they did try to get help but was late at night and no staff around... secondly ... which housekeeper knocks on a door and doesn't go in to clean when there is no response / answer ... ?? That is usually when they do come in .......This is the weirdest thing I have read about in the news about Housekeeping saying .. there was no answer so we thought they wanted to sleep more .... and 1 1/2 days later still thinking the same thing ..?? As I posted previously ... they must have left the keys at the reception for Housekeeping to think they were still in the room ... but in small places like this people usually take their keys with them especially when you know you will be out late and maybe there will be no one at reception to give you back your key when you come back

She didn't enter the room when it was locked from the inside which is100% normal. It even states she needed to get another key to enter. She either entered it on the 2nd or 3rd day/try (depending on which report) which would be very proactive for a hotel unless the two hadn't paid their bill in which case it would simply be normal. It may also be weird to you because you are thinking if their keys are at reception it means they are in when in fact it would mean the opposite.

I also cannot find anything on TripAdviser as you state about anyone being asleep at the desk. Here is the link to the hotel on their site ... http://www.tripadvis...i_Province.html

Keep in mind that according to reports and pictures they were staying at http://phiphipalmsresidence.com/ and not in the Twin Palm Bungalows.

Edited by Nisa

Eating the wrong type of Mushroom could also lead to death. Magic mushrooms{ Psilocybin mushrooms } , a favorite for young traveller in Thai beach resort towns are safe. However the people who go out and get these things are not exactly experts and mistakingly picking the wrong species of mushrooms could be deadly and has been deadly here in Thailand in the past. Could it be possible that the girls didn't seek help for fear of being in trouble with the law for consuming illegal drugs ? I think it is plausable.

Bed bug insecticide poisoning doesn't seem to fit with the symptoms. They would have needed to have ingested large amounts of the chemical to produce the severe symptoms the girls had. And how many nights had they been in that room before their deaths ? And yes. It would be reasonable to suspect that if they treated the room for bed bugs then they would not have only treated the one room.

And a dodgy mushroom or 2 would cause these terrible symptoms?

It's as reasonable to assume that only one room (mattress) was treated, as it is to assume that more were treated. Why do assert this?

The victims were possibly paralysed and thus unable to raise an alarm.

It's as reasonable to assume that only one room (mattress) was treated, as it is to assume that more were treated. Why do assert this?

I doubt it was mushrooms or any kind of opiate unless combined with something else given the symptoms. There is a picture on one of the Phucket news sites we can't link to that shows a bag with personal items and there appears to be a number of pills packed like bought in Thailand with a number of them missing. They obviously could have been taken for any reason at any time but the whole not seeking help thing has me puzzled and suspicious if they took something recreational and were scared to report it and somehow were convinced they would be okay ... would also explain why 3 other foreigners who were with them have appeared to have fled the island with one leaving what sounds like a cryptic apology note and another mentioning how you need to be careful who you buy drugs from on the beach. But could all be coincidental or not reported accurately which then almost certainly makes it appear some kind of exterminating chemical in the room killed them ... and it certainly would be plausible they only applied it in one room, especially if they didn't have a real professional doing it.

FYI - according to pictures I have seen, the room had two beds.

Edited by Nisa

"The Post reports the sisters were spotted at various night spots on Phi Phi island alongside Tinto and another unidentified Portuguese national."

If the BiB have yet to locate Tinto, and his companion has not been identified, how do they know he is Portuguese?

Guessing it was from the hotel registration docs since article said they were staying at the same hotel as the sisters.

Read up on poisonous mushrooms in Thailand. Scarey stuff.

A family was killed recently by eating mushrooms of the "Amanita" genus, one of the most deadly families of mushrooms in the world in Mae Hong Song, a couple weeks back. Then again in Issaan another group of people were killed by eating taod eggs - poisonous toad eggs . So yes mushrooms could be a possibility, but are we giving short shrift to toads and their allies??

. However as there has been not one shred of information about this so we are just jerking the sky, barking at the Moon, here.

I prefer to think its Ciguatera poisoning or a cocktail laced with Krait venom, but I can accept other brain damaged theories ... do not hesitate to post, do not let facts or the lack of them inhibit your imagination in any way

carry on

"The Post reports the sisters were spotted at various night spots on Phi Phi island alongside Tinto and another unidentified Portuguese national."

If the BiB have yet to locate Tinto, and his companion has not been identified, how do they know he is Portuguese?

It appears you and the two who 'like this' suffer the same lack of mental acumen that many here accuse the Thai police. Since they know Tinto's name and that he stayed at the same hotel, his name and that he is Portuguese may have come from hotel records gathered from his passport at check-in.

It appears you and the two who 'like this' suffer the same lack of mental acumen that many here accuse the Thai police. Since they know Tinto's name and that he stayed at the same hotel, his name and that he is Portuguese may have come from hotel records gathered from his passport at check-in.

I think Honkytowner was talking about the uncertain nationality of Tinto's unidentified companion.

its tuesday... some thai official said last week, the autopsy result would be ready today...

I don't remember seeing this but if true then I think they are probably talking about some kind of statement about stomach content or basic findings. According to all the recent reports coming out of Canada, it seems a full autopsy was not even conducted in Thailand. Not to mention it takes weeks to sometimes more than a month for toxicology reports to come back. Unless the cause of death is easily identifiable, I wouldn't expect any kind of definitive findings for another few weeks or longer. How many various international agencies were involved in the Chang Mia deaths and how long did it take them to come up with a plausible theory? I think some things are very very difficult to detect even if you know what you are looking for.

• 1 month later...

If I were a Thai Buddhist I would bet on misadventure being the cause of these tragic deaths.

Might be some truth in this considering that I read dad now wants info kept quiet and here we are more than a month later and nothing from either the Thai or Canadian investigators about suspected cause of death based on medical evidence ... but could simply be they still have not found the specific poison.

• 4 weeks later...

http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/quebec-sisters-died-in-thailand-from-drinking-deet-1

"According to the report, 20-year-old Audrey and Noémi Bélanger, 25, had DEET in their bodies that they had ingested.

Though the chemical is a potentially neurotoxic mosquito repellent, it is used as an ingredient in a euphoria-inducing cocktail that is popular among youth in Thailand. The drink containts cough syrup, Coke, DEET and ground up kratom leaves, which are a mild narcotic indigenous to Thailand."

We were all wrong.

Sad to hear the cause. :(

A terrible way to go.

http://news.ca.msn.c...drinking-deet-1

"According to the report, 20-year-old Audrey and Noémi Bélanger, 25, had DEET in their bodies that they had ingested.

Though the chemical is a potentially neurotoxic mosquito repellent, it is used as an ingredient in a euphoria-inducing cocktail that is popular among youth in Thailand. The drink containts cough syrup, Coke, DEET and ground up kratom leaves, which are a mild narcotic indigenous to Thailand."

We were all wrong.

Sad to hear the cause. sad.png

A terrible way to go.

It is thought that an overdose of DEET was accidentally mixed into the young women's drinks.

We were all wrong.

A terrible way to go.

It is thought that an overdose of DEET was accidentally mixed into the young women's drinks.

That is criminally negligent homocide so someone got away with murder. I doubt Thai officials will see it as that though.

Sounds like it would take an awefully big dose: http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/consultations/deet/health-effects.html

Edited by ttelise

We were all wrong.

A terrible way to go.

It is suggested that the mix with DEET was deliberate, not accidental, and that consumption of this concoction was relatively common in the area. So far there seems to be no suggestion the overdose was deliberate.

We were all wrong.

A terrible way to go.

That is criminally negligent homocide so someone got away with murder. I doubt Thai officials will see it as that though.

Sounds like it would take an awefully big dose: http://www.atsdr.cdc...th-effects.html

Are you for real regarding homicide? (If) The girls took too much of a drug of their own free will and you want to blame somebody else? I guess where you are from the cops classify every accidental drug overdose as murder and open a murder investigation to find the dealer and charge them with murder.

Apparently, it took 9 weeks to find the evidence of DEET in their systems. Why so long? Well, I guess some news is better than no news. Up until today, the general public were only fed little morsals of info by Thai authorities, such as 'eating poison fish' or 'overdose of ibuprophin'.

I had mentioned, in earlier posts, the possibility of some sort of debilitating drink being given, probably by local Thais. If it's clandestinely given, then it could be called 'a mickey.' If it's ingested by choice, well then it's a slightly different scenario. Either way, it looks like it could transform to a murder investigation, if Thai authorities were diligent and motivated enough, which they aren't.