Canadian Sisters Died In Thailand From Drinking Cocktail That Contained Insect Repellent

webfact

Quebec sisters died in Thailand from drinking DEET

Bodies of Audrey and Noémi Bélanger found on June 15 at hotel on Phi Phi island

CBC News

can.jpeg

Sisters Audrey and Noemi Belanger. Photo: Facebook.

BANGKOK: -- The death earlier this year in Thailand of two sisters from Quebec was caused by drinking a cocktail that contained the insect repellent DEET, an autopsy concluded.

Results of the autopsy at a Bangkok hospital have not been publicly released, but they were shown to reporters for CBC's French-language news network.

According to the report, 20-year-old Audrey and Noémi Bélanger, 25, had DEET in their bodies that they had ingested.

Though the chemical is a potentially neurotoxic mosquito repellent, it is used as an ingredient in a euphoria-inducing cocktail that is popular among youth in Thailand. The drink contains cough syrup, Coke, DEET and ground up kratom leaves, which are a mild narcotic indigenous to Thailand.

It is thought that an overdose of DEET was accidentally mixed into the young women's drinks.

They had just arrived on the Thai island of Phi Phi and were last seen partying with two Brazilian friends in the early morning of June 13. Forty-eight hours later, when staff at their hotel hadn't seen them emerge from their room, a receptionist called police. [more...]

Full story: http://www.cbc.ca/ne...nsecticide.html

-- CBCnews 2012-09-01

footer_n.gif

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for adding my video Webfact

DEET (N,N-Diethyl-meta-toluamide). Chemical Technical Summary for Public Health and Public Safety Professionals. Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/consultations/deet/health-effects.html

Also i can understand the Thai media / Gov have tired to cover this up also Thai hotels have a habbit of spraying all rooms with this stuff and can make problems with breathing ..

• Like 2

There was a small article warning about the dangers of mushroom shakes in Thailand that would have crushed up mozzie coils added. The shakes that were/are popular amongst the 20 something set especially on the islands and full moon parties. I posted a link on the original thread. People jumped on me from great hieghts saying it was ridiculous and never happens in Thailand.

May i have your link please. Thanks.
  • Like 1

Symptoms

For pyrethrins:

• Breathing difficulty
  • Coughing
  • Loss of alertness due to imbalance in oxygen level
  • Tremors (if a large amount is swallowed)
  • Seizures (if a large amount is swallowed)
  • Upset stomach
  • Vomiting

http://www.nlm.nih.g...icle/002763.htm

ok but what quantity ingested is lethal in a female adult

A bucket cocktail for 200thb could do it maybe

Edited by Notstupid30

There was a small article warning about the dangers of mushroom shakes in Thailand that would have crushed up mozzie coils added. The shakes that were/are popular amongst the 20 something set especially on the islands and full moon parties. I posted a link on the original thread. People jumped on me from great hieghts saying it was ridiculous and never happens in Thailand.

May i have your link please. Thanks.

I will have to go back and find it again, this is not my original link but he may help you on the path to further reading, I will repost my original when I locate it shortly

http://www.thebackpacker.net/travel-guide/travel-stories/thailand/86/

It's in OFF insect repelant.

My wife says the "cocktail" is called 1-2-Call.

Good to know for warnings sake, thanks. I had never ever heard of anything like this before.The stuff is in OFF insect repelant! Will stick to cans at the beach from now on.

so I guess the tales that some posted on the other page about mozzie repellents being put into drinks weren't to far off then. The worldly and wise branded them as loonies running around in tin foil hats with conspiricy theories. I guess there is something to be learnt here, next time before some attack others with insults, stop for a moment and consider the possibility they may actually be more intelligent than yourselves and not escapees from the loony farm. I am refering to minority, those that think they have thier doctorates in everything known to mankind.

OK, but how much have they had to ingest for it to be lethal and the article talks about an overdose of DEET ?...surely that would be a very large amount

How much did the poor souls in the Downtown Inn consume? You question is hard to answer.

• Like 1

"It is thought that an overdose of DEET was accidentally mixed into the young women's drinks."

It is this line that is the most revealing for me.

Where are you going to be buying drinks that an amount of DEET large enough to kill you is accidentally mixed into your drink?

A bucket or a cocktail that purposely has DEET mixed into it, is a different thing.

For those of you who are implying that the girls knowingly drank this DEET, read the original article again. Don't tar them with a brush.

This would lead me to believe that they were at a bar that sold these dodgy buckets/cocktails and either a) got the wrong one or b ) the cocktail mixer messed up the order.

Makes these deaths appear even more unecessary. If that were possible.

Edited by ManInSurat
  • Like 2

The report says they had DEET in their body. That doesn't mean the DEET came from a drink, that is them theorizing, and conveniently that explanation absolves anyone of blame. If their guesthouse room been sprayed with toxic chemicals and they contained DEET then it would also be in their bodies. I would think if people were regularly pouring DEET in to drinks, and it were capable of doing what happeend to these two girls, that people would be dropping dead left and right

if they were doing it in hotel rooms people would be dropping dead too.....seems that one needs to figure which is the most effective way of ingestion......I'd go for oral.

what puzzles me is why no-one helped them or why they didn't ask for help.....

Edited by cowslip
  • Like 1