Hows The Rainy Season Looking?

Not getting too gloomy but my area (halfway Chantaburi-Sa Kaeo) has only experienced patchy light rain so far. It rained every day for two weeks solid, no more than a minute here or there. Some people get lucky - not many. Creeks drying up. Dams low. Excavators everywhere as fruit producers scramble to get water storage. Most local farmers alternate between cassava and corn, the difference is they can get two corn crops in one wet season. This year most have gone corn and crop number 1 is mostly now mulch. The cassava is still OK.

Having been here 4 years, this is definitely the slowest start to the wet season I have seen, the missus recalls 20 years ago, no rain and losing both corn crops. i understand that the wet season proper kicks in later, but just have been used to some fairly healthy falls, and runoff by now. The weather bureau suggests normal wet season with slightly below normal rainfall in the south. My point or question is, is anybody else experiencing the same thing, is it OK elsewhere? Are the flatlanders getting rain yet?

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rain seems to be a bit hit and miss so far, up here between Sakhon Nakhon and Udon Thani ,tanks are full,rice planted 4 weeks ago looking good others planting today, good falls every 2-3 days .

As a comparison a mate at Roiet spent near 3k on diesel pumping for his 50 rai of rice this week, river very low and many villagers still buying water.

We had a heavy fall of rain at the end of May. It's been dry so far in June. Had a small shower yesterday, but not enough for the specks of rain to join up. I'm praying for a good downpour soon.

The weaker cassava plants are now dying.

Just pumped 1/2 a gigalitre (rough calculation) from the klong to my lowest dam, my new dam is good, but these old ones that were dug for free by the Army many years ago all seem to be mostly empty. I should be right now in 2 orchards for the rest of the season, but this last one is a worry. Even people who have no frontage are pumping from the klong, but they cant any more its empty. Water truck is 350 baht for 6000 litres so one bloke up the road tells me, he can irrigate for 15 minutes.

Just pumped 1/2 a gigalitre (rough calculation) from the klong to my lowest dam, my new dam is good, but these old ones that were dug for free by the Army many years ago all seem to be mostly empty. I should be right now in 2 orchards for the rest of the season, but this last one is a worry. Even people who have no frontage are pumping from the klong, but they cant any more its empty. Water truck is 350 baht for 6000 litres so one bloke up the road tells me, he can irrigate for 15 minutes.

"1 gigaliter = one billion liters or 264,172,052 US gallons"

I like the size of your dams. smile.png ca. 63 rai averaging 6 meters deep, should provide enough water for irrigation for a while.

If I haven't messed up my calculations completely 1/2 gigaliter is 1/2 million cubic meter, or 83.334 of the 6 cubic meter water trucks.

So by being able to pump the water from the klong and not buying, you have saved yourself 29 million bath, minus the cost of running your pumps.

• Like 1

Isnt it strange how the same topic comes up amongst us. This evening I was looking at my pond wondering whether to fertilise it yet or wait for some rain. Its a beautiful emerald green just under the algae bloom point so the duck weed is growing slowly and wont have the protein level I am looking for. Then I thought, how much rain water will it take to fill it up, answer 1.2 million litres.

Does anyone out there know just how long I have been without a million of anything, now water. Still lottery is on in a day or two, keep smiling guys the rain will come.

• Like 1

At last, a decent amount of rain today this afternoon and evening. We're 25 Km north of Khon Kaen

Had almost continuous light/medium rain for 24 hours. Ideal for penetrating the soil instead of just running off.

Now i expect another explosion of weeds, there has to be a downside :)

• Like 1

At last, a decent amount of rain today this afternoon and evening. We're 25 Km north of Khon Kaen

Had almost continuous light/medium rain for 24 hours. Ideal for penetrating the soil instead of just running off.

Now i expect another explosion of weeds, there has to be a downside smile.png

For the last 2 years I have started a thread in early July, bemoaning the lack of decent rain in the Ban Dung area, 80 km north-east of Udon. Luckily shortly after posting, the skies opened up giving plentiful rain both years.

This year has been different though, the rains came early, and it's mainly been drizzle lately, which is ideal for those of us who have just planted rubber saplings.

"1 gigaliter = one billion liters or 264,172,052 US gallons"

I like the size of your dams. smile.png ca. 63 rai averaging 6 meters deep, should provide enough water for irrigation for a while.

If I haven't messed up my calculations completely 1/2 gigaliter is 1/2 million cubic meter, or 83.334 of the 6 cubic meter water trucks.

So by being able to pump the water from the klong and not buying, you have saved yourself 29 million bath, minus the cost of running your pumps.

Hmm a very rough estimate indeed, now that I have resorted to google I find that what I thought was a megalitre is in fact a kilolitre (1000 litre). What I thought was a gigalitre is in fact a megalitre. Anyway 500k litres, my dams are a little smaller. Mega giga terra what will they think of next a googlelitre. My bad.whistling.gif

For us in the south it started of very very wet. Visions of last year, and already Ranong has had 50% of last years total. Now it has settled into a normal rainy season pattern. 2 or 3 dry days/nights per week. So we are getting rubber.

Just posted this on face book and as I have been drinking, thought I would share.,

. Night of the Mayfly.

Today a big rain came for 3 or 4 hours, then stopprd. The sun set and a million Mayflies came to life. Any light became a cloud and only front and back lights were left on. Next came the toads in there 100s, eating until they could not hop. When the toads had had thier fill, the kids came to take the bodies of the dead insects for chicken food. Then as if by some magic clock, the Mayflies had had thier hours of life and begain to to fall and die. Jim

Just posted this on face book and as I have been drinking, thought I would share.,

. Night of the Mayfly.

Today a big rain came for 3 or 4 hours, then stopprd. The sun set and a million Mayflies came to life. Any light became a cloud and only front and back lights were left on. Next came the toads in there 100s, eating until they could not hop. When the toads had had thier fill, the kids came to take the bodies of the dead insects for chicken food. Then as if by some magic clock, the Mayflies had had thier hours of life and begain to to fall and die. Jim

picture Jim picture shared

Not much rain around here down by the Cambodian border in Ubon province between Nam Yun and Khao Phra Wiharn.

Had an hour of downfall yesterday afternoon, and that is normal for the season...... smile.png

Well its 10pm and been raining just a tad above lightly since 7pm. That was after 2 doozy looking thunderstorms did 180s around us earlier this afternoon. Good for the trees but no runoff. Rain on the roof nice sound to go to sleep though so nnggghhhh

The heavy rains started here towards the end of May, a little later than usual. I've got a rain guage, over the past 14 days or so we've had 250mm here in NN. We're at the foot of Khao Yai, I'd say this year's a little lighter than others, especially last year where it was every day for 6 months.

. Night of the Mayfly.

Mayflies came again tonight, this time the toads did not attend, having eaten their fill. The kids were first, with bamboo nets, running through the clouds, catching them in flight, not for chickens, but to eat. When the buckets were full the street dogs came to eat the dead. Every day something new, really a charmed life

Mayflies came here last night but not huge numbers, we finally had a bit of rain yesterday, no runoff but enough to defer irrigating for a few days. The trees are flowering beautifully and we've sold the lamyai crop in advance. Hopefully there is a bit more rain around. Which would be good because I'm going on my annual leave tomorrow to Brisneyland and I was hoping to keep the well meaning but rough and ready family members away from my irrigation as much as I could. It always needs a little bit of fixin and tinkerin here and there anyway without them. Enough things'll be broke as it is when I get back in 2 and a bit weeks. Anyone want any vegemite? Been following another topic where that got discussed. Here it gets mixed with peanut butter and other things but I like it straight. Ha Ha.

Mayflies came here last night but not huge numbers, we finally had a bit of rain yesterday, no runoff but enough to defer irrigating for a few days. The trees are flowering beautifully and we've sold the lamyai crop in advance. Hopefully there is a bit more rain around. Which would be good because I'm going on my annual leave tomorrow to Brisneyland and I was hoping to keep the well meaning but rough and ready family members away from my irrigation as much as I could. It always needs a little bit of fixin and tinkerin here and there anyway without them. Enough things'll be broke as it is when I get back in 2 and a bit weeks. Anyone want any vegemite? Been following another topic where that got discussed. Here it gets mixed with peanut butter and other things but I like it straight. Ha Ha.

Vegemite? Try Marmite. Tastes better.

Not much rain around here down by the Cambodian border in Ubon province between Nam Yun and Khao Phra Wiharn.

Had an hour of downfall yesterday afternoon, and that is normal for the season...... smile.png

we've had heavy rain all night, and the sound from insects and toads? can be heard everywhere...........biggrin.png

we've had heavy rain all night, and the sound from insects and toads? can be heard everywhere...........biggrin.png

The frogs were deafening here last night after a bit of rain 30 km north of Chiang Mai. Have not seen much precip for six weeks though and am still watering the newly planted fruit trees and other plants.

Finally, we had a good 6 to 8" of water in the pond in two hours last evening. The heaviest rain I have since in several years. I had to pump water out of the waste system into the pond. Rainwater has to be several inches deep before it can enter the system.

Yippee, rice is in and sprouted, pre and post emergent sprays done, now a nice drowning rain. I figure I'm set for the next month whatever happens