Still Eating Chicken?

thaigerd

Are you still eating chicken in Thailand?  

77 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The trouble that I have always found in the Far East,Africa,South America etc..ie all hot countries is that they (the natives)prefer to eat their bloody food semi cooked/cold.I for one do not like and will not eat cold food ..apart from beer.(of course)

There has been many times is nice wee back st eating houses in Klong Toey,Sam prat,Hanoi,P.Pehn that I have taking the semi raw offering back to the kitchen and cooked it myself....crazy non native M.P.Rai.

What Tak needs to do is order up 50 million microwave ovens and show his people how to use them.

Chicken and Chips,Beef and rice,pork and beans,Penguin and noodles....all safe when cooked properly :o

What Tak needs to do is order up 50 million microwave ovens and show his people how to use them.

Chicken and Chips,Beef and rice,pork and beans,Penguin and noodles....all safe when cooked properly :o

Microwave ovens might not be the answer:

http:www.relfe.com/microwave.html

:D

I do agree that it's important that food is cooked properly though. But apparently once the chicken is cooked it is zero risk of passing on the flu.

Actually the WHO went as far as to say the risk is tiny to zero even for those preparing the raw meat for cooking. Just don't go watching the fighting chickens and allow it to breath in your general direction and you'll probably be ok. :D

Avian flu is a respiratoty virus, not enteric so I don't see how it's even possible to get it from eating chicken. Or at least that's what I've read. The Thais that have died so far have all been member of chicken farming families, have they not?

WHO has decalred that pigs could also carry the virus. So why should we feed our dogs with chicken as suggested in the poll. The reason being that if pigs could act as 'mixing vessels' for emergence of new and virulent strain as warned a WHO adviser why not dogs?

I THINK the big issue is that the virus is mutating and "could" start to spread like a common cold and by human to human contact

the World then has a big problem -

maybe the Pharmaceutical companies will now move their research back into antibitotics (long neglected) and antivirus drugs

we live we learn

The level of uninformed panic is delicious. According to the Center for Disease Control and the FAO, the virus isn't viable in dead chickens so by the time it reaches your plate there's no chance of getting the virus. Only people who come into direct contact live chickens ill with the virus are at risk.

As blackjack says, the real issue is whether the virus mutates to affect human-to-human transmission. Then it might become as dangerous as other flus, which claims hundreds of times as many human victims as avian flu has.

At this time CDC and WHO have not issued any travel alerts or advisories for the region in response to the H5N1 outbreak. However, travelers to countries in Asia with documented H5N1 outbreaks are advised to avoid poultry farms, contact with animals in live food markets and any surfaces that appear to be contaminated with feces from poultry or other animals.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/avian/index.htm

i am not an alarmist however some of these WHO and other alerts are confusing

a virus needs a living host cell to survive however a bacteria can live outside of the host ie on a surface

so why are the alerts referring to both live animal and contaminated surfaces - this is indicating that it "could" be transmitted either way

are we getting the whole truth and nothing but the truth or are we being spared the public will panic syndrome again

if its a virus once the animal or bird is dead then it should be OK to eat it

i think?

besides the som tam lady assured me that if you eat som tam, BBQ chicken, Kow neow TOGETHER then you will not get bird flu virus

believe it or not :o

you can eat cooked chicken, that s fine....

so why ve they been killing chooks and bury them then?? why don't they just cook them with proper temperature and give it to the poors???

not being sarcastic or anything??? i am just really curious.. i think i will call the official and ask, if i don't get an answer here..!!! :o

you can eat cooked chicken, that s fine....

so why ve they been killing chooks and bury them then?? why don't they just cook them with proper temperature and give it to the poors???

not being sarcastic or anything??? i am just really curious.. i think i will call the official and ask, if i don't get an answer here..!!! :o

I agree with you. That should be fine. As a matter of fact the same could have been done with all the foot and mouth cattle in the UK and Ireland. Actually if they had left them alone they probably would have recovered.

I think that they are killing over 10,000,000 birds to stop the spread, and because people are so scared and jumpy in the world today it's better to bury it as a statement that you are serious about the problem, and to help make up for the fact that you lied to the world previously.

Having said that it's an awful shame to destroy all that good chicken meat. I mean, the US can send their low grade GM Maze to aid African nations in need, why not send them a bunch of flu-ridden chickens!

Another issue is that this has been a problem since November and any of the chicken currently on the shelves in European and Japanese stores could have come from Thailand, and have the flu virus. So that should all be dumped too. In Holland chicken from Thailand and ROTW is relabelled as Dutch chicken anyway, so how do we really know?

Just cook and eat, yummy chicken.

Blackjack, the WHO have not issued any alerts whatsoever about eating chicken, in fact their website explicity states that the virus has never been contacted from eating dead chickens, and that the only known risk comes from handly live poutry.

:o

It is good that the Goverment have admited there mistake,and that they will compensate the chicken farmers,you might be able to buy a chicken for 100 bht but for sure you wont get an Ostrich,for that money.

There mistake and compensation is not going cover 3years of work in our case.

:o

It is good that the Goverment have admited there mistake,and that they will compensate the chicken farmers,you might be able to buy a chicken for 100 bht but for sure you wont get an Ostrich,for that money.

There mistake and compensation is not going cover 3years of work in our case.

What is your case John ?

Yes, I am eating chicken and I think some people are eating crow. :o

Here is a link that should be reliable and helpful to understand the "risk" of eating chicken.

http://my.webmd.com/content/article/81/96857.htm

Excerpt below:

How Do Humans Get Bird Flu?

Contact with bird droppings is the most likely way people catch bird flu. People don't catch the virus from eating cooked chicken or eggs.

Bird flu tends to be an intestinal disease spread through feces. Human flu tends to be a respiratory disease spread by droplets. The only way a bird flu virus can spread easily from human to human is if the bird flu changes by picking up some genes from a human flu virus.