Killer Of Aussie Tourist Told To Surrender

Lite Beer

Killer of Aussie tourist told to surrender

The Nation on Sunday

30184799-01_big.jpg

PHUKRT: -- Police warn man who killed Aussie he could be shot

Phuket police said yesterday they know the identity of a young thief who allegedly killed an Australian woman on Wednesday night - and warned they would shoot him if he tries to resist arrest with the use of a weapon.

Police Maj-General Chanasit Wattanawarangkoon, chief of Phuket police, also urged the killer and his accomplice to surrender to police. He vowed they would get fair treatment in the case. "We now know the identity of the assailants and their whereabouts. They should surrender to police," Chanasit said.

"If the suspects resist arrest, police may have to defend themselves and the suspects may end up being killed in a justifiable homicide," he said.

He said police were questioning witnesses and studying images from security camera recordings of the attack and attackers. With sketches of the suspects, police last night sought court permission for arrest warrants, the provincial police chief said.

Police are hunting for two young men who stabbed and killed Australian travel agent Michelle Elizabeth Smith during an attempted bag-snatch on Wednesday night.

Smith, 60, was stabbed in the chest as she was returning to her hotel after dinner at Phuket's Kata beach.

Earlier yesterday, police also offered a reward of Bt300,000 for the arrest of the two assailants.

Deputy National Police chief Pol General Pansiri Prapawat, who was in Phuket to help inquiries into the case, said yesterday that the reward was offered by the commander of Police Region 8, the Phuket police commander, and the president of the Kata Thani Hotel, Sombat Atiseth, who each would contribute Bt100,000.

"This is an important case that must be solved urgently. We should not let only two people cause damage to Phuket's tourism. I promise that police will arrest those two perpetrators as soon as possible," Pansiri said.

Smith was walking back to her hotel with a friend after dinner, at about 10.30pm, when the attack occurred.

Two men, aged about 20 to 25, rode past the women twice before one of them tried to snatch Smith's bag, police said. Tammee Lynn, who suffered a slash wound to her right arm during the attack, told police Smith struggled to hold on to the bag - which prompted one of them to stab her in the chest. The knife struck her heart and she died shortly after at the scene.

The two men fled empty-handed.

The authorities have intensified efforts to find the killers. Deputy Premier Chalerm Yoobamrung said the case was important for Thailand's image as a tourist-friendly destination. Tourism Minister Chumpol Silpa-archa said the incident had damaged the country's image overseas.

Yesterday, Pansiri chaired a meeting of senior Phuket officers at the local police headquarters, during which he stressed the importance of restoring tourist confidence following the incident. He said police would get tough with local influential figures who abused foreign tourists and caused much damage to the country's tourism reputation.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-24

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a policeman, however if I was I don't think I would advertise in the national press.........we know who you are, we know where you are, give yourself up or we'll shoot you.

I would more inclined to just go get the guy........

Thai police work in mysterious ways

That is because they have no idea who done it ! They are now hoping for 2 Thais to hand them selves in

That occurred to me too Boater.......you would put nothing past the BiB, nothing.

Disgrace.

I'm not a policeman, however if I was I don't think I would advertise in the national press.........we know who you are, we know where you are, give yourself up or we'll shoot you.

That is because they have no idea who done it ! They are now hoping for 2 Thais to hand them selves in

it is a little like poking a wasps nest in the hope that something will come out, then it could end up being holy <deleted>.

"This is an important case that must be solved urgently. We should not let only two people cause damage to Phuket's tourism. I promise that police will arrest those two perpetrators as soon as possible," Pansiri said.

Shame with Thai men like this, everything boiling down to $$$.

One day human life will be viewed on an index. So sad.

Edited by damo
  • Like 2

We should not let only two people cause damage to Phuket's tourism

Why stop at only two people damaging Phuket's tourism, when thousands of corrupt officials can damage it so much more.

ermm.gif

Edited by Yunla
  • Like 1

"We now know the identity of the assailants and their whereabouts. They should surrender to police,"

one couldnt say anything more strategical unlucky, coulndt one?

- have them changing location (escaping)

- have them preparing for the final fight with police storming

- loosing nerves and kill someone else in between

On top of that......look at that quote, it's all about the money, money, money again

Not one word in that article about justice for Ms Smith.

It really is diabolical.

Correct!

On top of that......look at that quote, it's all about the money, money, money again

Not one word in that article about justice for Ms Smith.

It really is diabolical.

maybe he has to justify whey he bothers a thai just because of a foreigner...

...its bad for thai, when the murderer is not caught, its not about any problem with the murder of a foreigner...

Edited by dingdang

We should not let only two people cause damage to Phuket's tourism

Yes why stop at only two people damaging Phuket's tourism, when you can have thousands of corrupt officials doing a far better job of damaging it.

ermm.gif

Yup.....look at the last quote in that article

He said police would get tough with local influential figures who abused foreign tourists and caused much damage to the country's tourism reputation.

The police should start with looking in mirrors.............they'll find the main perpetrators staring right back at them. coffee1.gif

• Like 1

They will be caught, I am confident of this. My wife feels the same way, now there is money involved. It will only be a matter of time. Thai's that do crimes like this are'nt the smartest and there would be more than 2 people who knows whos responsible for Michelles murder.

• Like 1

......look at that quote, it's all about the money, money, money again

That's the MO, and always has been. They really do not care; a most un-Buddhist quality. I look to the day when tourists divert to Burma in droves. Muang Thai really does not deserve them.

It is sad that this has gone from a murder investigation to an offence against the tourist dollar.

• Like 2

They will be caught, I am confident of this. My wife feels the same way, now there is money involved. It will only be a matter of time. Thai's that do crimes like this are'nt the smartest and there would be more than 2 people who knows whos responsible for Michelles murder.

with their pictures on the motorbike, it must be possible...

people who know someone, recognize the person easily by walk, by appearance...

and other things someone not in the know doesnt really spot, as hair(cuts), clothes etc...

The moman with Michelle would be a good witness, I hope they don't chuck the blame on some old homeless **** or some retarded kids.

My wife said she'd seen this up country, where someone would commit a murder where there is little evidence, then when the heat gets to hot, some 90 year old **** relation would come out and confess only to walk away due to age.

Edited by Lite Beer

Well you can guarantee that two people will pay the price for this, whether it's the right two is another matter altogether.

agree

I'm inclined to agree.

Clowns is my opinion clutching at straws.

We had a burglary at new year and the local police tried a similar tactic. Even said that I was paying for the UK police to come over and catch the perps.

Scandalous only financial aspect is mentioned in this report. Where's the call for justice for the victims?

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect App

Nothing mysterious about it. They have absolutely no idea who did it or where they are. This is bad news. They are desperate. I was expecting a quick arrest as is usually the case. Perhaps the police were waiting for the reward to be offered so they could collect it. Yes, they actually do that in this country. Police collect reward money. Crazy.

300,000B will be worth it for some poor Thai volunteering to take the fall, then having someone "turn them in" and collect the money.

• Like 1

This really is a case the boss having a cunning plan and the subordinates not having the balls to tell him that making an announcement like this isn't such a good idea.

They will randomly shoot two guys they can fit up with the offence.

Edited by Thai at Heart

When I first moved to Thailand over 20 years ago, any Thai caught committing a crime against a foreigner would get double sentence, I think the rule was dropped after they built up their tourism... And yes it always has been about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I would say they have a very good idea who they are but they have no idea where they are. Thai police actually have a very good human intelligence [HUMINT] network and most probabley would have a list of names of crims that operate in that area with that MO. Criminals are mostly creatures of habit which normally leads to their undoing. With this in mind, coupled with eye witness accounts and CCTV footage, that will narrow that list right down to a few individuals. And with a 300,000 Baht reward, I will put myself out on a limb and say they will have these guys arrested within the next 72 hours. shock1.gif

do they have the number plate on the motor bike?

the footage showed them on the motorbike from the back, not straight, but with special software police can make a lot of things visible...

Edited by dingdang