Pheu Thai Launches Singing Contest To Stop Student Brawls

Lite Beer

STUDENT BRAWLS

Pheu Thai launches singing contest

Wannapa Khaopa,

Kritsana Thiwatsirikul,

Praphan Jindalert-udomdee

The Nation on Sunday

BANGKOK: -- Move aimed at tackling social problem; teams to consist of a 'look thung' singer and 6-12 dancers; private sector agrees to join efforts at boosting youths' vocational skills

The ruling Pheu Thai Party yesterday launched a singing contest aimed at easing the problem of inter-school brawls, particularly among vocational students.

Pheu Thai MP Pholapoom Vipatphumiprathet told a press conference at the party's headquarters that the ruling party was going to organise the "look thung" (Thai folk music) contest among high-school and vocational students. This was part of the effort to tackle the social problem of student brawls, he said.

"We believe that when students have activities together they can build up good ties. And this will help reduce the problem of fighting," he said.

Members of the contesting teams - each consisting of a singer and six to 12 dancers - must be school students although they do not need to come from the same school. Applications can be submitted until July 20 and the contest will be held on August 18 and 19 at the Imperial World Lat Phrao shopping mall.

The winning team will get Bt100,000 in cash and a trophy presented by Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra. The second prize is Bt50,000 cash and a trophy from the education minister, and the third prize is Bt30,000 cash and a trophy from the Prime Minister's Office.

The private sector has also been encouraged to take part and help students acquire qualifications that might meet entrepreneurs' demands.

Companies will work with the Army, religious organisations and educational agencies to prevent brawls between students, vocational ones in particular, members of an educational committee agreed at a meeting recently.

"Many of the committee's members are from the private sector. We agreed to increase the role of the private and industrial sectors in improving the quality of students in basic, vocational and higher education.

"With help from [companies], more students will learn working skills from internships. They will also be able to help educational agencies improve the curriculum so as to make the students ready to join the working community," said Anek Permvongseni, secretary-general of the Office of the Education Council (OEC).

He was speaking to reporters after the first meeting of more than 50 newly appointed committee members.

However, violence continues to be a problem among vocational students. Late on Friday night, a 13-year-old girl was shot dead in Nakhon Si Thammarat's Thung Song district when rival students attacked the "wrong" person.

Siriphorn Phiboon, 13, was shot while she sitting on a stool in front of her grocery shop.

A witness said six assailants, who are students at a vocational college in the district, rode on three motorcycles past her shop and opened fire at the girl.

Police said previously the group had quarrelled with a teenager known only as 'Boy'. Boy's friends used knives to attack them. Boy was apparently sitting on a stool outside his house, which is near the shop, when he saw the group riding past on motorcycles so he rushed to hide.

About 20 minutes later, they returned to the shop and saw a person sitting there so they fired at the person, who happened to be Siriphorn.

After investigation, police became aware of the identities of those involved in the crime. Their relatives have told police that the suspects will surrender soon.

"When students, especially vocational students, have enough occupational skills and see opportunities in future for them to get work I believe many of them will avoid quarrels," Anek said.

The Army and religious organisations would help train them in discipline, social responsibility, morals, selflessness, nationalism and volunteering, Anek said, adding that the committee had members who are from Buddhism, Christianity and Islam religions. Subcommittees working on this have been appointed.

The OEC aims to tackle the problem of student brawls at its roots.

"Our education system is unable to produce graduates with satisfactory working qualifications for the labour market. The OEC will invite representatives from the private sector to discuss the qualifications needed in the workforce now and in the next five to 10 years.

"The committee members emphasised concrete implementation. So, they approved the setting up an adhoc committee that will be in charge of the implementation in three to six months," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-24

Sing Sing Correctional Facility is a maximum security prison operated by the New York State Department of Correctional Services in the town of Ossining, New York. It is located about 30 miles north of New York City on the east bank of the Hudson River.

Exporting this trash seems like a great solution.

It`s true, Music really does hath charms to soothe a savage breast.

So if you are ever confronted by a knife wielding thug or a crazed gunman, than all you need to do is sing at him and he will put away his weapon and walk away.

Every so often there is an uprising of thugs in Thailand whose aim is to go on the rampage causing havoc and terror. Last time it was the Samurai gang and now we have this present mob of scum going under the guise of students

These youths are just mindless thugs, terrorists in fact and must be treated as such. I really can’t see these vermin joining a singing corps or school quire. It has been proven worldwide that the softly, softly approach doesn’t work and Is just a waste of effort, time and money trying to transform these thugs into decent law abiding citizens. We are talking about psychopaths and murderers here, not naughty kids doing a little misbehaving.

Most of the Samurai gang conveniently disappeared and the public had a very good idea what happened to them and who dealt with the problem. No one lost any sleep over them.

Hopefully this mob will suffer the same fate and within the foreseeable future will also conveniently disappear and put out of action where they can`t do harm to anyone.

Perhaps one of the singing teams can throw out a version of this (I heard it being sung in a really cool, chilled bluesy type version in Tesco Lotus last week, it was the latest shopping music track by some Thai girl who was clearly completely unsuspecting of the content smile.png )

Edited by GentlemanJim
  • Like 1

So GLEE is the end to all fighting.

Of course it is a competition

and different schools will want to beat each other.... just like before.

Will they now start punching the throats of the best opposition singers,

so they can't sing come finals?

Well at least Madam Culture Minister is already dressed for the coach part.

Edited by animatic
  • Like 1

When dealing with people with maturity level of infants, then perhaps infantile solutions are in order.

Some African tribes would settle disputes with singing and dancing face-offs.

Maybe Thai singers, in their quest to improve their singing abilities, will develop singing voices that are a shade deeper than the tops of their throats. .....heck, they might even learn how to add a harmony to a tune.

Edited by maidu

I can imagine what will happen when the winners are chosen and the other participants think that they were cheated out of victory. YES...they will stop the stupid brawls between technical schools and now have stupid brawls between glee clubs.

The only difference....the new brawls will now have its own soundtrack.

Edited by jaltsc
  • Like 1

Remember the singing policewomen? Now we have singing thugs.

I know what's next. When Ayuthayya sinks again, and the industrial estates are submerged, this is a precursor to asking the MD of Honda Thailand to sing so as not to be upset.

When thugs want to open the next round of 'big bag' they'll be ordered to sing and be happy in their new 2.5m of house cleaning fluid. ;)

-mel.

Maybe the minister watched a pirate DVD of West Side Story last night.

Funny that.....

Took me a while to find the one I wanted.

Hmm, the minister does make me think of Officer Krupkie, except she has a nicer uniform. It has shinier buttons.

Sukumol+Khunploem.jpg

Maybe the minister watched a pirate DVD of West Side Story last night.

Funny that.....

Took me a while to find the one I wanted.

Hmm, the minister does make me think of Officer Krupkie, except she has a nicer uniform. It has shinier buttons.

Sukumol+Khunploem.jpg

"I just met a girl named Pariah"?

• Like 1

I've heard it all now coffee1.gif

I wonder how this brawl will be..... "let it be....Bash..... let it be.... Slam..... Mother mary comes to me..... whoosh.... pls ask TAKSIN for the text... it ryhmes well..... Police report... I was beaten up to the sounds of music in thai rythem..... Police: please stop whinning.... start singing!

I've heard it all now coffee1.gif

I wonder how this brawl will be..... "let it be....Bash..... let it be.... Slam..... Mother mary comes to me..... whoosh.... pls ask TAKSIN for the text... it ryhmes well..... Police report... I was beaten up to the sounds of music in thai rythem..... Police: please stop whinning.... start singing!

Finding a solution does not need a course of distraction. It needs attention where the problem lies.... in the Education system. People ignorant often take to their fists rather than to the churning of cognitive interactive thought to come to conclusive result.... Farmers will be farmers if they are not taught or exposed to anything other than that... Crooks will be crooks as long as the legal system plays down fraud and cheating in its own quarters. Politicians will be puppets till the show is over....applauded or booed out! take your pick work for a constructive change rather than finding a band aid for publicity....petty shoulder patting!

I give this initiative a big thumbs, up. Right minister?

29.jpg

On the positive side, at least they are trying to provide a way to channel all that youthful energy.

Well aren't they the matched set of culture mavens.

sue-sylvester-jane-lynch-nell-episodio-bad-reputation-di-glee-162851.jpg

Edited by animatic

A preposterous solution to the problem Putting their heads in the sand and not addressing the issue with rule of law and consequences, realistic opportunity, educational improvement, and parenting. The whole idea of the contest has no role to play in student violence and fighting. Thais should just look at one thing - how will the "losers" feel? Will there be any resentments?