Bizarre Mass Bee Attack In Chiang Mai

BigJohnnyBKK

Well, with the important work done by the senior ones, we mere mortals don't see its results on our low earthly levels. . .

you mean the spiritual work (when there is no soccer match to watch)?

The older ones had developed "the Force"

...or the bees went driven away by a forcefield created by their iPads, iPhones and other stuff that they shouldn't have.

i always thought that weird also when you see monks in the orange dresses, in fortune tower ,shopping in the smartphone department

since when is getting the latest iphone 4 part of the ritual of "sacrificing all ones worldly posessions " ?

Do thai people not see the hipocracy of these guys collecting foods and cash donations early in the morning and then shopping in the apple store

for luxury goods in the afternoon ?

Do monks have to take some sort of vow of poverty? And if they decide the leave the monkshood start all over again? Is that what that one time prime minister did when he took on monkshood and then left?

Just curious I recall taking to a monk in a monk chat at a Wat and he said some of the monks had families that gave them money.

There is a bigger activity from wasps and bees these days, yesterday i've been hit by wasps and earlier this week one stabbed my sisiter in law.

They make new nests at the moment, perhaps there is a connection with spraying pest repellant by lamyai farmers.

Anyway, i was stabbed twice in my hand when I tried to turn on the pump switch where beside they were active.

My hand is swollen and I woke up this night a couple of times from a terrible itch.

Edited by Joop50

Do thai people not see the hipocracy of these guys collecting foods and cash donations early in the morning and then shopping in the apple store for luxury goods in the afternoon ?

Why would they when all that merit-making is in order for good luck for the self? whistling.gif Thai Buddhism 101.

The local abbot recently had built (with donations) a 2 mil baht pad next to the temple, complete with satellite TV, air-con, swanky bathroom etc. How's that for a dose of desire?

Anyway, i was stabbed twice in my hand when I tried to turn on the pump switch where beside they were active.

My hand is swollen and I woke up this night a couple of times from a terrible itch.

Stabbed? Just trying to picture gangs of Thai bees with daggers in their belts. smile.png

The older ones had developed "the Force"

...or the bees went driven away by a forcefield created by their iPads, iPhones and other stuff that they shouldn't have.

i always thought that weird also when you see monks in the orange dresses, in fortune tower ,shopping in the smartphone department

since when is getting the latest iphone 4 part of the ritual of "sacrificing all ones worldly posessions " ?

Do thai people not see the hipocracy of these guys collecting foods and cash donations early in the morning and then shopping in the apple store

for luxury goods in the afternoon ?

Pan Thip placa buying the latest Graphic Card.....Somewhere on TV is that posting from that Farang who got invited in the tempel for gambling and beer drinking....

This is our garden this morning - 3 bee hives in the trees and plants - 2 in the same tree different bees and they are only about 18 inches apart

There are 2 next door

Why so many in Chiangmai

Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai are considered to be the main honey-producing areas of Thailand, probably due to the amount of fruit grown up here, and there are plenty of commercial-producers with up to 1500 hives, generally apis melifera (Italian bees) .

I can't think why there would be a lot of swarms right now, the ones in the photo may well be local Thai bees, of which there are many types and which often build combs in trees.

My own bees are currently fairly laid-back, not much enjoying the humid thundery weather, and not finding much nectar or pollen, so I'm having to feed them a bit of sugar, and work on them in the cool of early-morning.

The monks may have neglected to 'smoke' their bees, before disturbing them, but once they think that they're being attacked, there would certainly be a reaction ! Possibly someone knocked-over a hive, or tried to dislodge a colony built hanging from a roof, that would certainly get them riled-up !

Once a few bees have been crushed, deliberately or accidentally, the pheromones would alert the rest of the colony ! Rapid movement, as in frantically waving your arms about, would also tend to attract attention, and strong B.O. or fragranced-deodorants are another no-no, when working with bees.

Next time ... bee more careful ! wai.gif

Edited by Ricardo

We were at Chedi Luang for the last Buddha Holiday here in Chiang Mai (sorry forget the name of holiday). We saw huge hives of the bees, as pictured in the posts above, up near the top of the Chedi. We commented on them at that time.

At my home near Chiang Mai, I also had bee hives in two trees. I let them alone and they let me alone. During a storm, the tree branch broke and the bee hive fell to the ground with the swarm attached. Not knowing what to do, we called a very knowledgeable older Thai neighbor. Wearing only shorts, no shirt or shoes, he simply walked over, picked up the branch from the ground, with all the bees swarming around, and carried it over to his land. A second one, he cut the branch from the tree and did the same. Not wanting to seem like a wimp, I helped him. Neither of us were stung by the bees, they simply flew around us and followed along.

This season, I have a number of more hives. Again, I don't bother them, and they don't bother me. I don't know what would prompt them to attack. After a few months (bee season?) they abandon the hives and are gone until the next year.

When they're swarming is supposedly when they're least likely to attack, as they're focused on looking for a new home, the rest just sit there (surrounding the queen-bee) until the scouts report back.

At least, that's what my 'Beekeeping-For-Dummies' says.

This is our garden this morning - 3 bee hives in the trees and plants - 2 in the same tree different bees and they are only about 18 inches apart

There are 2 next door

Why so many in Chiangmai

Those look like the smaller "no-stinger bees" , I could be wrong.

When they're swarming is supposedly when they're least likely to attack, as they're focused on looking for a new home, the rest just sit there (surrounding the queen-bee) until the scouts report back.

At least, that's what my 'Beekeeping-For-Dummies' says.

According to my father, who used to keep bees, the reason that they do not sting when swarming is because they fill up on honey before swarming and being full are unable to bend themselves into a requisite stinging position. He used to collect swarms wearing only shorts and a tee shirt. But he would not check on his established hives without suiting up to some degree or another, especially in thundery weather, when bees become agitated.

Your Dad is right about the 'girls' having full tummies when swarming, and about the thunder too, I believe. Using a smoker, when opening a hive for inspection, similarly causes them to load-up, in case the colony needs to flee from the 'forest fire', and distracts them from their primary-sport (of stinging me !).

I must admit that I bought the beekeepers-veil, but have only used it once, shorts & T-shirt seem fine here, though I do wear socks in case any bees fall onto my open-toe sandals, when I'm inspecting the frames.

Wearing full equipment would make one sweat, which is a definite 'no-no', they don't like the smell or the drops of perspiration dropping onto the opened-hive, as you stretch/lean over it.

I must also confess that I do often talk to my (hopefully Buddhist non-aggressive) bees ! smile.png

Edited by Ricardo