Visa Run From Chiang Mai To Mae Sai

rideswings

I think it is up to the guys sitting there wether they accept it or not.

I guess they do not want too much of the dollar bills, because at the end of the day they exchange some THB to dollars themselves and pocket the profit before handing over the money.

The Burmese government rate is $10 US not Thai Baht. As stated above are the reasons the border guards don't want dollars.

In Burma it's a US dollar economy, not Baht, Pound, Euro, Yuan or Yen, but US dollar.

Try using Baht at Yangon or Mandalay airports or in any store!

Try using Baht Burmese or American in Monglar it's a Chinese economy.

I think it is up to the guys sitting there wether they accept it or not.

I guess they do not want too much of the dollar bills, because at the end of the day they exchange some THB to dollars themselves and pocket the profit before handing over the money.

The Burmese government rate is $10 US not Thai Baht. As stated above are the reasons the border guards don't want dollars.

In Burma it's a US dollar economy, not Baht, Pound, Euro, Yuan or Yen, but US dollar.

Try using Baht at Yangon or Mandalay airports or in any store!

Try using Baht Burmese or American in Monglar it's a Chinese economy.

If you are referring to Mong Lar in Burma, you will certainly be able to use Burmese Kyat.......it's their currency and smaller places will be reluctant to take anything else - even dollars.

A dollar economy doesn't mean it's run by American's or has American influence - it's simply the designated foreign currency that the government allows/wants.

I go to Burma about 3/4 times a year and have yet to see Yuan traded anywhere in exchange for Kyat, or accepted at stores. No-one would know how much to give you anyway, whereas the dollar has both an official and unofficial rate - they are both set and the unofficial rate fluctuates. I fly TG (because I have to) and I can assure you that all the Koreans, Chinese and Japanese are well armed with US Dollars, not Won, Yuan or Yen.

Try getting out of Burma by paying your departure tax in Yuan.

Edited by uptheos
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Can anyone tell me the names and hopefully the contact information of these visa run vans for under 600 baht?

Thanks in advance.

There's this one.......can you go to 750 Baht?

M & J Visa Run operates an Air Conditioned mini-bus service that departs Chiang Mai for the Mae Sai Border at approximately 0800hrs EVERY DAY, arriving back at Chiang Mai at approximately 1800hrs.Tel: 0869192588

http://www.chiangmainews.com/classifieds_job/view.php?id=42929

I do the run 4 times a year and the ticket is 500bt. at the agent Green Eco travel moonmuang soi 9, because i go often i get 50bt concession (just for asking) normally 550bt.

not sure the van company though, same same though, silver van, same driver who likes to take detours to drop off fruit and veg to friends, or collect coconuts from roadside or stops to buy chicken legs without asking everyone else if they want something......but we get there at mid day mostly.

good ride unless you are at the back

• 5 weeks later...

I have been with M and J a few times and am slightly displeased with the experience.

Firstly they piled us all in then went to get fuel. Why didn't they do it the night before? Then the driver pulls over 20 minutes later to have is breakfast at the side of the road. Surely they can do all this before saving us getting dicked about.

Usually all this wouldn't bother me but the air con was set to how the driver liked it.....bloody sweltering. He returned from his breakfast and asked if "everything was ok"? I replied "more water on the coals please" it was that hot.

Never again!

Edited by pimping

Last trip we drove up to Mai Sai for a look and certainly found it fairly straight forward.

Parked under the bridge and after a couple of hours in Burma was back in Mae On in time for tea.

Noticed a fair number of scheduled buses and considered options for future.

Flights on last jolli were silly prices so found that for a change tried the train...never again (15 hours) and some of the Bangkok-CM buses which were pretty good and did one non stop run in just over 7 hours.

Just been checking the schedules and fares from Arcade Bus Station to Mae Sai and appears as follows:fio

Distance ..256 Klms.

First Class Bus ..171 Bt (assume 1 way)

Second Class.....133 Bt

Normal Bus ........95 Bt.

Anyone know of any good pubs in Tashc?

http://www.chiangmai-thai.com/bus_schedule.htm

Last time I had to do the Mae Sai run, I used AYA service from an office across the street from the train station.

I had to purchase a day in advance, but they picked me up at my place in the morning and dropped me back late in the afternoon. I think it was about 500 baht.

They go all over the North, and provide good service. The driving is very exciting.