Do Taxi Drivers Ignore You When You Speak Thai?

BngkkB

I'm just saying they'd rather defer to her as the superior of the couple by virtue of the fact that she's Thai, we're just the silly monkey being led around on a collar. If she tells them to listen to you then they will, otherwise they'd rather ignore you, don't mind you getting annoyed.

Should the salesman talk to the customer or the wallet?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happened to me regularly in Japan.

Shopkeepers had no idea what I was talking about, but my Japanese girlfriend afterwards confirmed that what I'd said was in perfect Japanese.

Look at the face, and the language is predetermined, as is any understanding.

this used to happen frequently to me here, especially at noodle shops or small stands being worked by the elderly.

You would order, the old lady would look at you blankly yell something about farang and someone younger would appear. You would order again, in thai as before, and the "youth" would inform them you were actually speaking Thai the first time.

Armed with that new information, the old lady would suddenly be interested in conversation with you where previously she could not understand a thing you say.

hasnt happened to me in a while,m though it used to happen almost daily -- once upon a time.

Yes, the point being that often when foreigners attempt to speak Thai, the Thai may have been anticipating something other than Thai language and so the brain/hearing language mechanism would have not been prepared to switch over on the fly. People who speak multiple languages (even Thais who are educated and perhaps speak another Asian language or English) are often better at switching over their language listening mechanisms very quickly. Most people are not very good at it. Also, let us not forget that many people we interact with here in Thailand are not terribly educated and so that plays into it as well. Lastly, Thailand is unfortunate (or fortunate depending upon you look at it) that there are so many types of English spoken in and around Thailand. I'm from North America, and when I hear an Aussie or Brit (from certain neighborhoods) or a South African speak English, I often struggle to understand. It takes practice and a more worldly perspective even which are things many/most undereducated Thai locals have no need for or interest in.

Just as an aside, I've spent a good deal of time in the US, and the less educated or "average" locals there often found it hard to understand me when I spoke English, and my English is perfect but for my *slightly "funny" accent. It's said by some cunning linguists that Americans, by and large, are very internally focused and so often lack the predilection for careful listening required to understand people from different parts of world who speak the language. Happens in other countries too.

Edited by PaullyW

Begin by saying 'Sawatdii na khrap'. This will change their brain to Thai as they will expect you to be speaking some Alien language. If your Thai isn't perfect they won't recognise it as they'll be listening for English.

That they're probably native khmer or Lao speakers won't help.

It's said by some cunning linguists that Americans, by and large, are very internally focused and so often lack the predilection for careful listening required to understand people from different parts of world who speak the language. Happens in other countries too.

Cunning indeed. I've never had a problem listening to any other type of English dialect, that even goes for the Thai-English (lol). I guess I just got lucky. But what you say does make sense about the switching over.

Sometimes when the face takes more precedence over the words coming out of the mouth, I just find someone else to talk to. I figure I can't change my round eyes and 'dtua yai' but I can change the person I'm talking with. Less headaches. The same would go for if I had to catch a taxi.

• Like 1

And "Som Nom Naa". I have only heard this used about two times by Thais in 3 years but it seems to feature highly in the top 3 phrases from expats who try to look like they can speak Thai.

Thais in my village say it all the time.

I believe the correct 'smart' response is "Waa Tair Cow E-Now pen eng"

Could you please tell me what that means. I never heard of it (does not mean much as many times transliterations make no sens to me not that i can read thai)

And "Som Nom Naa". I have only heard this used about two times by Thais in 3 years but it seems to feature highly in the top 3 phrases from expats who try to look like they can speak Thai.

Could you please tell me what that means. I never heard of it (does not mean much as many times transliterations make no sens to me not that i can read thai)

It's about a famous Thai prince (name ee-now) who used to blame everyone else for things he had done.

The Thai equivalent of 'he who smelt it, dealt it'

I can't give you the Thai script as not allowed outside the language forum.

Literally

Blame only him, Ee-now himself

Edited by TommoPhysicist

Wah tha kow enow bpen ang...far as I know

loosely translates to ...you talk bad to somebody else but you dont look at yourself ...your worse

Kind of like...Pot calling the kettle black

Edited by flying

I don't think it makes much difference whether you are a foreigner trying to speak Thai, a foreigner who speaks Thai perfectly, or a Thai . . . the taxis go where they want, when they want, how they want, regardless of what you ask them . . .

Happened to me a lot in BKK. I just let it ride and ignored the taxi driver. I ignored giving him a tip too.

People tip taxi drivers?

When I first arrived here I had to take a cab from Mochit to another destination. The fare was around 70 something baht. The driver said the fare was 10 baht over and when asked why, responded 'tip'. I was so surprised I went ahead and complied. Wise choice, as she was quite the tom and that compliance probably saved me from a beating lol. Thank goodness I have a better understanding of Thai perception pertaining to 'falangs' now.

"A final factor is they don't like to be told which way to go."

Are you kidding me??? I've been living in Thailand for almost 9 years now and I never had any trouble telling the taxi driver where to go and they never had a problem with it either. After all it's their job to take directions. On several occasions the driver didn't know the place I wanted to go to and they were usually happy when I gave them rudimentary directions in Thai because otherwise they'd have to ask someone. And that overly general statement that they don't understand what you are saying outside the tourist areas is only true if your Thai sucks.

Happened to me a lot in BKK. I just let it ride and ignored the taxi driver. I ignored giving him a tip too.

People tip taxi drivers?

Probably Americans do or people who haven't been here long. I remember a taxi driver in Bangkok tipped me(or gave me discount) as we both talked Isarn and how much we hated Bkk.

Based on speaking to Thais in other countries (outside of Thailand) who don't know me... When you, a farang, open your mouth, some Thais understandably expect to hear English come out. So when your imperfect (though possibly good) Thai comes out, they don't immediately process it as such. My Thai still needs a lot of work, but I've noticed that there's often some confusion at the start of a conversation, but when they realise I can speak Thai (poorly) they can adjust to it and the conversation proceeds smoothly.

Many taxi drivers have no clue where to go. The most extreme case I had once when a taxi driver did not know Mor Chit Bus terminal and had to ask passengers.

A problem I have also experienced on a few occasions. Even with a Thai friend stating our destination, the driver nod,nods, so off we go. In truth he has no clue whre our destination is. Even stating well known areas: near Patpong or Robinson Silom brings no reaction. I guess that we were unlucky on those occasions, the driver must have been very new to Bangkok.

Robinson Silom closed 4 years ago.