Is Thailand A Charitable Place?.......

theblether

There was a very sad story recently in the UK of a young female marathon runner that died just a few hundred yards short from the end of the London marathon......the story got wide media coverage and as a result of her death her chosen charity, The Samaritans, received well in excess of £1 million in donations. here's a link to the story........http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/claire-squires-justgiving-claire-squires-804836

Brits are well used to raising money for and donating money to charities, good for us, and I know many other countries are the same. I often wake up early when I'm in Thailand and make a point of going down to the local market so I can make donations to the monks on their daily rounds. I often sit back for a while and watch many many Thai people doing the same thing. To me it's a humbling start to the day, to see people who don't have much give a little bit for others.

What kind of charitable projects have you seen in your area? Have you been involved in any? and would you say that Thailand is a charitable place?

I think it's a good thing to look around us sometimes and remember that we are very lucky indeed.

• Like 2

There was recently a story about a very over weight boy on Thai television. The next day the story continued that a medical center came to his rescue. I do not remember exactly but I think there were also private donations.

After the earthquake in Haiti several banks opened accounts for donations to help the victims. As I recall they received a lot of donations. My little daughter at the time broke open her piggy bank and donated.

So yes, like everywhere in the world people will help out locally and internationally.

Humm … to have a charitable conscious could have a strong awareness of others as well as yourself. As sense that collectively or individually we can help.

Not so much for an individual but a collective community conscious was on display during the ‘Together We Can’ movement which cleaned up Central Bangkok in the aftermath of the street protests and demonstrations approximately 2 years ago.

Not only was there the ‘Clean-Up’ but also the temporary closing of Silom Rd when traders, vendors and market stallholders participated in a two-day festival and sale designed to promote harmony and unity in the Thai capital.

Together We Can: Bangkok 2010 Cleaning Day

Plus a link to the TVF Thread Together We Can: Bangkok 2010 Cleaning Day

It might be an individual charity you witness, a personal kindness to offer your seat to an older person, charitable efforts with the Thai Family unit (whether we agree with them or not) or examples of when a Nation comes together to start the healing process.

Charity comes in many forms.

An example of the Thai Family charity is personal. At the Farm where the gf lives there a woman rarely seen, but never leaving the Farm. She is the daughter of an Aunt who can no longer care for her child.

This woman would be maybe 25 years old and most likely with a mild or moderate intellectual disability. She asks for nothing, does a few simple household chores in return for board and meals. She stays there because she has limited other options and relies upon the charitable consensus of the Thai Family who accepts her as their own.

Charity comes in many forms that sometimes we don’t identify with.

Excellent posts BngkkB and David48, I remember reading about Thai charitable giving to Haiti, I thought it was very generous.

Good points too David, interesting to see that the young lady is accepted without question. Some would say why would it be any other way, but there are people abandoned when in need. This young lady has not been and credit to your family.

To what extent do the Temples offer social support?

There are some curious differences in charitable giving between the UK and Thailand.

I believe I am right in saying that UK citizens are right at the top of the league of people donating to overseas causes, whereas Thai charitable giving that I have witnessed is Thai centric.

There is also a difference in how charitable giving is made, the UK has a culture of anonymous giving - here in Thailand it is not unusual to see advertisements in the Thai press that Khn XXX has given YYY amount to charity. I find that a very curious difference.

A third difference is that the charity sector in the UK is huge by comparison to that in Thailand, were the UK has large numbers of privately established charities Thailand has very few - The largest in Thailand being the temples - and where we like to rant about the Church, an examination of what the temples do with the donations they receive, or indeed the practices some of the temples follow to solicit donations would make interesting reading.

Though perhaps too close to the wind for some to allow to take place.

• Like 1

Back in the day in the USA we had this thing called a bread line. Those who had no money for food could stand on that line and get bread and maybe some milk. This helped them survive. Times have changed, now they have a credit card that is just like money and can be used to buy whatever they want, more than likely unnutritional garbage and then once they are obese and have health problems they can take advantage of their free medical care and get the required pills and medical attention. When I look around in Thailand at all the poverty it is depressing but at the same time the welfare state of the West can be just as depressing. The interesting thing though is that the liberals always believe they have the moral high ground as they put a gun to your head and redistribute your wealth to those who are more deserving.

I will be honest that when I am charitable I also expect a certain level of grovelling. I guess I have become Thai. I also tend to try to be as nice to children as possible, like giving them tips when they are assisting a parent preparing my food or helping a brother who is a taxi porter. I think being nice to children goes a very long way. I can remember the times people were really nice to me as a child and especially when they gave me money :) how happy it made me and how much it made me envy them. I look at it as sort of +1 to our Farang Karma. :)

Agreeing with GuestHouse about there is sure a darker side to how some of the charitable offerings are dealt with. But the assumption that it maybe the case does nothing to tarnish my resolve that the majority of charity gets to the intended cause ... sooner or later.

What aspect I liked about the UK mentality is that there was (well ... 20 years ago, when I lived there) a strong charitable spine. Unfortunately maybe that spine has been tapped a little more then it should over the intervening years.

For me there is a difference between helping your fellow man when he's down to picking up your fellow man, time and time again after making the same mistake.

As for your questions about the contribution of Temples to the 'Farm Guest' ... nothing from what I understand.

She receives a small pension/stipend from the Government because honestly, from my brief interactions, she would be almost unemployable. Most, if not all of this money she saves and is not asked to contribute to the Farm Budget.

One day the Farm Family will change, maybe even sold and these modest savings may help if or when that eventuality occurs.

Till that day she relies on the Charity of the Farm.

In the neighborhood where I live, the Thais go out of their way to feed all the stray animals. However they feel that most of the people going around collecting for "charities" are con-artists and will not give them money. I think that generally Thais are very charitable on a local level.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Charity starts at your doorstep.

Kicking the famished soi dog when leaving your condo to put a coin in the cute Thai student's box at the BTS is just face

Point taken ... but doesn't it come down to what charitable ideals appeal to the donor the most?

For some the concept of furthering a child's education "put a coin in the cute Thai student's box at the BTS" is a higher priority then feeding an presumably (my words) unsexed soi dog.

I've mentioned what happens at the Farm above (no, no condo there) ... and Phayathai Babies Orphanage gets my nod and a visit I come to Thailand.

post-104736-0-76137000-1340676332_thumb.

Next to the Orphanage

aneliane ... what are your charitable priorities?

My wife's family neighbour (elderly lady) was recently diagnosed with terminal cancer and the government hospital sent her home. It's a very poor Moo Ban, but they visit and feed her every day, give her massages, some money when they can. Great demonstration that charity starts at home.

If you want donations be sure to call the chap up on stage so he gets his name read aloud and a big round of applause.

All about making merit with the caveat it seems that there is no merit unless everyone knows you gave.

In fairness, part of the lack of giving relates to the fact that there isn't much of a social safety net, so charity does begin at home with it being directed to needy family members. My friend supports his mother to his own detriment. That is charity, aside from the familial obligation, but charity all the same.

Yes and No.

Thais would give to street beggars, but most people in Australia would not. Thais are making merit perhaps?

A lot of people in Australia would make a tax-deductible donation to a charity.

I think the motivation for charitable acts are different and so the acts of charity are also different.

• Like 1

Which bts station ??

If you mean the Phayathai Babies Orphanage ... for a BTS ... nothing near.

Years ago used to be located (apparently) at Phaya Thai but now it's a ride up to Chatuchak Market then either a minivan and then a bike or a taxi from there.

But for some reason it's always been easier to get a minivan back to Victory Monument.

You really have to be dedicated to actually get there ... but I believe it's worthwhile.

But if you were asking about the gf's Farm ... same journey but the opposite direction ... tongue.png

If you do plan to visit and feel that money isn't the best way to help the Phayathai Babies Orphanage ... phone ahead and ask what they need.

Think more 'Milk Formula' then 'Kids Toys' ... but they will give you a heads up.

Don't see many Farang out there but the receptionist does speak some basic English and they dutifully record and receipt the donations.

Apologies theblether ... didn't mean to distract from your question ... just trying to help those visibly in need in the Kingdom.

Edited by David48

@david48, no apology required, very interesting posts, from yourself and everyone else. Even farang000999 showed he had a heart by tipping the kids that help out.

I remember that effect of kindness shown when I was young too, it is a motivational memory.

Which bts station ??

laugh.png

Yup, that one whoooshed right over David-s head.

Caught it the second time.

Apparently OnNut, because of the sheer volume of traffic through the BTS is quite common for the Charity Collectors.

A couple of people I know that are involved in various charities....have stated that the Thais are not at all very charitable....in the normal sense of giving money and such to help others.

A read an interesting article in the paper I think last year, there was a huge hiso charity event with all the trimmings...the Bangkok rich and famous attended.....they announced to all with great pride that their lavish even had raised 100,000 baht. Not a typo.

For the last two years, students at my local school raised money (about a combined B280,000) for a charity that supports, treats and educates orphans with HIV. I couldn't have been prouder, and I was sure to insist the students democratically select their own charity.

To make a long story short, the boss lady tried to appropriate the money twice--once when she found out about the HIV-angle, and then again when she discovered that the charity was run by a sect of Catholic priests. I've never been angrier at anyone's pettiness. It got sorted out, but only after intervention from much higher authorities and a lot of unnecessary tension. Needless to say, said boss insisted on being front-and-center for any and all ceremony, media coverage, etc.

I'm quite sure this behavior is the exception to the norm, and I've been delighted with the student's hard work and dedication, but this happened in Thailand, so what he hey I'll share it.

Some people are so lazy. Just go to the Amazon website and you can clearly see that it's cheaper and easier to buy direct. I even got a partial refund of the duties I paid.

How much did you pay and for what model Edward?

AFAIK, (after investigating the establishment of a charity in Thailand for the benefit of poor Burmese in Myanmar), it is only possible to register a charity in Thailand if the benefit of that charity is also within Thailand.

So for example, one can establish a Thai charity that benefits poor Burmese living in Mae Sot, but not poor Burmese living over the border in Myanmar.

This is at odds with other developed countries, where a charity can be legally registered and operational for the benefit of a cause that lies outside the borders of that country.

This is at odds with other developed countries, where a charity can be legally registered and operational for the benefit of a cause that lies outside the borders of that country.

I don't understand "other developed countries" in this context, are you referring to Thailand?

It would be much better to register a charity in the country where you're soliciting donations in order to qualify for tax-deductable status there, and then simply establish a foreign office in Thailand.

AFAIK, (after investigating the establishment of a charity in Thailand for the benefit of poor Burmese in Myanmar), it is only possible to register a charity in Thailand if the benefit of that charity is also within Thailand.

So for example, one can establish a Thai charity that benefits poor Burmese living in Mae Sot, but not poor Burmese living over the border in Myanmar.

Says it all.