Is Camping Allowed On Islands?

penzman

Does anyone know if camping is allowed on the islands in the Koh Chang area or other islands of Thailand?

Also planning on having a zodiac or similar inflatable motorized boat (lack of storage space), so I'm wondering what size (lenght and motor) is reasonable for boating around the coastal islands...

:o

peNZMan

depends on the island, if it is in a national park then you need to check with the ranger. On a regular island with private property owners then you need to check with owner of land first.

As for zodiac type boat, don't know how much you want to spend, but you can often get a good deal at the classifieds section of the Phuket Gazette, Pattaya Mail has a good classifieds section too. My hubby has a small dinghy (rigid, not inflatable) , 25 hp, about 12 feet long which is perfect for him and a friend to go fishing around the area. It can be a bit scary in big waves but when the weather is fine it is great (hard seats tho :o ) .

Yeah dont underestimate the coastal waters of Thailand. Especially around the island areas where the depth is not great. Wave action can easily be whipped up by the slightest storm and become surprisingly dangerous.

Camping is great on the national park islands as when all the tourist boats leave you will have almost complete silence and peace. But you must get permission first and register with the Park officers.

If you do camp yo uneed to make sure you are completely self sufficient for all your needs........and dont even leave a footprint behind ok !!

Cool :o

I have done a lot of fishing and camping here in Canada, thanks for the advice, I,m really looking forward to discover the islands more closely. I was in the Koh Chang area last year but did not always have access to a boat.

I always leave my camping spots clean and also , sadly, pick up after others..