A Russian Speaker In The Forum?

Somtamnication

licklips.gif , for that translation it's a packet of crisp's, checkout some of the free English to Russian translators on the net, but you still need a Russian to double check a word proofing, at least it allows you to get your artwork , graphics and wording in place.</p> Edited by LivinginKata
English only please as per forum rules

I have Russian next door, any good?

Sure, if you would like to ask them, that would be great. PM me and I will give you my mobi. Two .pub files that need double checking, corrected and culturally correct. (For example, it is important to have your univ. degree on the card, etc etc).

Tks.

Nowadays “good” editors and writers whose specialty is foreign translation are extremely busy especially here in the LOS.

The Russian translators on the net are pretty useless; such applications cannot convey the same message across as actual human form translation.

It’s not the Russian language skills that matter so to speak either, but actually the familiarity with the English language and how to use it to begin with.

This goes for all languages translated from English content.

Unfortunately the Russian natives I personally know don’t have the time to take on certain jobs at the moment, and sometimes they just reject the work all together.

Translations are not easy and they don’t come cheap, at least nice and neat ones’ don’t. The cost for proofreading documents alone usually costs a third to one half of what is charged for a regular document translation, and sometimes there is a minimum that has to be paid as well.

Doesn't have to be expensive if you know where to search.

When I decided to get our menus translated into Russian last year I put an ad on Gumtree (UK) specifying the precise requirements of the job and requesting quotations. Received 15 responses from Russian nationals working/studying in the UK with varying prices.

I settled on a Russian female working near my home city and after sending her a copy of our 22 page menu she emailed saying she would translate the menu for £40 (2000Bt).

She did a great job so I paid her more as It was so cheap.

If anyone wants to use her I still have her contact details.

Always remember "You get what you pay for "

Industry standards on average

• English to Russian translation: USD 0.04 - 0.1 (EUR 0.032 - 0.078) per source word
  • English to Russian technical translation: USD 0.08 - 0.14 (EUR 0.062 - 0.11) per source word

IMO most important is the adaption

"An adaptation differs from a translation in that it seeks to capture the essence, meaning and message of an original text without being literal. The result is not a literal translation but nevertheless conveys the original meaning."

Yes most defiantly " You get what you pay for."

This I say in regards to translations, nothing more.

There is much more to a translation than just a translation. You have to consider the cost is also being determined by many factors such as language, size of document, complexity, deadlines, quality of the source text, formatting and the platforms being used, not to mention the proofreading and editing.

Also translators who only focus on the transformation of words, without the consideration of cultural factors, are more likely to misunderstand the culture in the message which the client is trying to convey.

Here are some infamous errors made by multinational corporations when translating brands or slogans abroad.

The name Coca-Cola in China was first rendered as Ke-kou-ke-la. Unfortunately, the Coke company did not discover until after thousands of signs had been printed that the phrase means "bite the wax tadpole" or "female horse stuffed with wax" depending on the dialect.

Things weren't much easier for Coke's arch-rival Pepsi. When they entered the Chinese market, the translation of their slogan "Pepsi Brings you Back to Life" was a little more literal than they intended. In Chinese, the slogan meant, "Pepsi Brings Your Ancestors Back from the Grave".

In Italy, a campaign for Schweppes Tonic Water translated the name into Schweppes Toilet Water.

When translated into Chinese, the Kentucky Fried Chicken slogan "finger-lickin' good" came out as "eat your fingers off".

IMO if your content is on going to be on the web for example, thousands of people will be able to see it everyday, you better be damm sure your translations are on point.

Don't skimp on a quality translations to save yourself a couple of bucks. You will regret it.

Well I definitely (not defiantly) "got what I paid for".

A perfectly translated 2000 word menu for £40.

Not simply by accepting the lowest quotation but speaking with the translator to ensure she was not only a native Russian speaker but also had an excellent grasp of the English language. That's the way to ensure quality.

So where were we now, ah yes, "speaking with the translator to ensure she was not only a native Russian speaker but also had an excellent grasp of the English language." Ok that should make her good enough then.

"2000 word menu for £40", that about 2 cents per word.

That's amazing. It really is.