Where it the best market where can pick up some

Waterbugs

Cockroaches (hissing are fine)

Mealworms

Crickets

Scorpions

Maybe a field Rat or 2

Any direction to the best place to buy this stuff would be appreciated

I know about the lady that goes around selling but I need more variety and prefer fresh biggrin.png

DK

its abit of a trek but the best selection can be found at tung kwian market on the Lampang road about 70km from Chiang Mai. They have a pretty good selection although some bugs are seasonal. They have regular crickets, huge crickets, grasshoppers, silk moth cocoons, bamboo caterpillars ('lot duan' as they look like express trains with windows down the side!), bee lavae still in the comb, water beetles, cicada lava (my favorite). No scorpions or rats though :-(

Mealworms would be at a fishfood shop, kam tien for example.

Rom Chook market at Rimping has a good variety and all sorts of frozen ones at Makro. I've enjoyed the bbq rats for breakfast at the Nakon Sawan morning markets and lots of other interesting stuff life baby quails the size of one's thumb. I eat the bugs around my house in CM esp. if we have a hornet or bees nest. Never came across a rat in CM (easy guys whatever your thinking of posting isn't really that funny or original) and would love to try scorpion for the first time!

Rom Chook market at Rimping has a good variety and all sorts of frozen ones at Makro. I've enjoyed the bbq rats for breakfast at the Nakon Sawan morning markets and lots of other interesting stuff life baby quails the size of one's thumb. I eat the bugs around my house in CM esp. if we have a hornet or bees nest. Never came across a rat in CM (easy guys whatever your thinking of posting isn't really that funny or original) and would love to try scorpion for the first time!

There's really nothing special about scorpion. I've tried it deep fried. It was all crunch but little taste. But I've never seen it in Thailand.

i agree with the post that the best selection and variety is at the market on the Superhighway outside Lampang.

There's really nothing special about scorpion. I've tried it deep fried. It was all crunch but little taste. But I've never seen it in Thailand.

i agree with the post that the best selection and variety is at the market on the Superhighway outside Lampang.

Easily believable, different deep fried little crunchy things often taste similar (of the dirty fry oil perhaps), but I must admit I have a preference to the water beetles but it's more that I like to try everything and honestly been considering next time I see a scorpion in the garden letting it bite me to see what that's like. It's only fair after all.

Anyone

can you place this place on a Google Map would hate to drive 140K round trip and come back empty handed cos I never found it

also is that market every day or ??????

Cheers

They sell a lot of those bugs and grubs on the stalls at the foot of Doi Suthep, behind the zoo on the way to the waterfall......all chocolatey and crunchie and white and creamy on the inside. Just like a snickers.

Speaking of delectables, I need some earthworms for a treat I;m cooking up. My local gardener, I was surprised to hear says he dont have em, and the nearest supply is out at Mae Jo .... come on, there's gotta be worms somewhere in town (excluding LK)...

Anyone??

Speaking of delectables, I need some earthworms for a treat I;m cooking up. My local gardener, I was surprised to hear says he dont have em, and the nearest supply is out at Mae Jo .... come on, there's gotta be worms somewhere in town (excluding LK)...

Anyone??

Sound interesting, what you making? And where in Mae Jo are you talking about?

for directions to tung kwian market type in 'kad tung kwian market hang chat lampang' into google directions and it should come up. says its 70km from Chiang Mai. Worms you can buy at any fishing shop. 20 Baht a bag - 2 kinds red wrigglers which are thin and regular fatter brown ones. There is a worm farm at MaeJo university - you can google it.

for directions to tung kwian market type in 'kad tung kwian market hang chat lampang' into google directions and it should come up. says its 70km from Chiang Mai. Worms you can buy at any fishing shop. 20 Baht a bag - 2 kinds red wrigglers which are thin and regular fatter brown ones. There is a worm farm at MaeJo university - you can google it.

I don't know how to post/link to a google map, but, yeah, that's it.

It's been open every time I've gone past, usually mid-afternoon, but that doesn't mean it's 7 days a week.

The rat was dead and hairless in a plastic bag, perhaps boiled as it did not have any burn marks like the grilled frog next to it, not sure if it wasn't a different kind of rodent now that I think of it as it had a shorter tail (but could have been cut) and it's body was pretty round. The Hill Tribe lady called it a "mot" which I believe is what they call rats but perhaps all those kinds of delicious creatures

The rat was dead and hairless in a plastic bag, perhaps boiled as it did not have any burn marks like the grilled frog next to it, not sure if it wasn't a different kind of rodent now that I think of it as it had a shorter tail (but could have been cut) and it's body was pretty round. The Hill Tribe lady called it a "mot" which I believe is what they call rats but perhaps all those kinds of delicious creatures

Wasn't that a standard staple of fare in midevil England

Kat Luang. But the cockroaches are not cockroaches, they are called something else.

I wonder what female roaches are called?

Roacheses? rolleyes.gif

In my younger days a roach was called a "Doobie" so I guess a female roach would be a "Debby"? laugh.png

• Like 1