The Value Of Your Child'S Education.

mjj

Mjj, my comment about the girls was a reply to BigJohnny's post where he mentioned the difficulty of bringing "one of" his girlfriends back to the USA as a reason he was staying here.

I do think you are in a very difficult situation as you live in a country where you cannot afford to send your kids to a good school. Have you considered moving back home or elsewhere?

Sent from iPhone; please forgive any typos or violations of forum rules

Ok, misunderstanding on the girls from.

With regard to the schooling for my son, without getting into too much detail and starting a pissing contest. I can afford to send my son to an international school, but I would be lying if I said I wouldn't feel the pinch.

As I stated in my op I think travel is important and I want to take my son around Asia, Europe, Australia, the Americas, etc. I also want to be able to pay for a good uni and help him when he needs to buy a house and car. Totalling up this cost, it is very unlikely that I would be able to do them all - so something has got to give.

Now if an international school was a guarantee of a good school, then sure I would pay it. No doubt they are better, but lets not kid ourselves they are not Eton are they?

How much better, if at all, is a Thai international school than a state school from the UK? It's just I'm not that convinced at the moment that it is more important than all my other factors.

I agree with you that travel is very important for a child's development. It seems to me that after budgeting for holidays abroad you will not be able to afford a good school here.

However, if you return to the UK, you can just live in an area that has a good state school, and there will be no fees to budget for.

Obviously, there may be other factors (unique to you and your family) keeping you in Thailand but I think you should at least consider the UK (maybe even Australia or New Zealand).

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brit, you are either a troll or you have lots of money and like to put people down. The op is about the value of education and all you keep saying is that I can't afford Thailand and I should go back to the uk.

I obviously missed memo when entering Thailand that said you must be able to pay 10 to 15 million baht to raise a child well in Thailand.

Always interested in reading the thoughts of posters re education here in Thailand.

One thing I am convinced of is that no matter what standard of education you give the child, the child must want to learn. Today there are many children who have no real desire to learn, especially if the parents spoil the child. You can take a horse to water....... applies.

Some will say that's because the parents did not instill the right attitude in to the child. Maybe, but many times you will see one child doing very well, yet his/her siblings don't measure up to the better performing one.

A case in point. In our village there is one family, Mother, son and daughter. Dad has been gone for years and has never helped the Mother at all. The son went to the local Govt. primary and secondary schools, worked hard and showed some ability at classwork.Won a scholarship to study overseas ( one of the good things done in Taskin's time) went to France.. spent a year learning French, then 4 years at Uni in France, came back home with a Bachelors degree in engineering and worked at a local engineering company here. Now has a good job in a factory in Bangkok. He was a good student applied himself and has done very well. Sister not keen at all, did primary and secondary schooling. Married at 20, child and and now divorced and married again at 24. Life for her is a battle.

One has succeeded and the other not so good.

BAYBOY

Brit, you are either a troll or you have lots of money and like to put people down. The op is about the value of education and all you keep saying is that I can't afford Thailand and I should go back to the uk.

I obviously missed memo when entering Thailand that said you must be able to pay 10 to 15 million baht to raise a child well in Thailand.

In the UK, kids can have a good education for free.

If you want the equivalent in Thailand, you need to pay.

My intention is not to upset you, but this is reality.

We came to the UK to give our daughter at least some years of a British education and an accent.

We moved to a very good area with a good academy run school.

I feel she will benefit in the long run doing it this way but that is just my opinion..

I disagree with some posters above - Private is not always better than a State education regardless of cost. Loads of clique, peer and materialistic pressure in private schools added to the fact that if you're not uber-confident and loud you can get forgotten. I rate a good UK state school (see OFSTED reports online), in good surroundings as better than some very expensive Thai private schools. Not with facilities and afterschool activities sure, but with happiness and the level of learning/understanding for the age.

As an aside, those who think ploughing tens of thousands of pounds for their child's private education will give them a distinct and worthwhile advantage over their state school counterpart are clutching at straws: fine if you can afford it easily without family financial stress, otherwise it's all down to school/individual/teacher. Many of my friends (and I) went to a top 5 UK private school....and just as many of my friends went to a GOOD local state school. There is no differentiation in their career levels and family lives 15 years on.

• Like 2

I disagree with some posters above - Private is not always better than a State education regardless of cost. Loads of clique, peer and materialistic pressure in private schools added to the fact that if you're not uber-confident and loud you can get forgotten. I rate a good UK state school (see OFSTED reports online), in good surroundings as better than some very expensive Thai private schools. Not with facilities and afterschool activities sure, but with happiness and the level of learning/understanding for the age.

As an aside, those who think ploughing tens of thousands of pounds for their child's private education will give them a distinct and worthwhile advantage over their state school counterpart are clutching at straws: fine if you can afford it easily without family financial stress, otherwise it's all down to school/individual/teacher. Many of my friends (and I) went to a top 5 UK private school....and just as many of my friends went to a GOOD local state school. There is no differentiation in their career levels and family lives 15 years on.

Good post, and I'd add that one of the advantages of state schools is their social inclusiveness. Being closeted in an environment separated from wider society in which you are being told you are the cream of the crop (selected on your parents income) is not a good start for an 'education'. Though it might be very pleasant and soothing while it lasts.

I think the question the OP is asking is,

" if you saved all the money spent on private education, and gave that money to your child at the age of 21, would that give your child a better start in life"

answer,

“If you think education is expensive, try ignorance”

Derek Bok

Always interested in reading the thoughts of posters re education here in Thailand.

One thing I am convinced of is that no matter what standard of education you give the child, the child must want to learn. Today there are many children who have no real desire to learn, especially if the parents spoil the child. You can take a horse to water....... applies.

Some will say that's because the parents did not instill the right attitude in to the child. Maybe, but many times you will see one child doing very well, yet his/her siblings don't measure up to the better performing one.

A case in point. In our village there is one family, Mother, son and daughter. Dad has been gone for years and has never helped the Mother at all. The son went to the local Govt. primary and secondary schools, worked hard and showed some ability at classwork.Won a scholarship to study overseas ( one of the good things done in Taskin's time) went to France.. spent a year learning French, then 4 years at Uni in France, came back home with a Bachelors degree in engineering and worked at a local engineering company here. Now has a good job in a factory in Bangkok. He was a good student applied himself and has done very well. Sister not keen at all, did primary and secondary schooling. Married at 20, child and and now divorced and married again at 24. Life for her is a battle.

One has succeeded and the other not so good.

BAYBOY

My daughter starts Calculus next year. No way did she ever imagine she could do mathematics at this level. I knew she could and her teacher knew she could buut with a tiny push from me and a HUGE amount of input from him she was first in class in a subject she never thought she would or could excell in. She doesn't feel anything's impossible now and that's all I could ever wish for. If you're getting that in your Thai schools, by all means stay there, but if yu're not, get them the hell out.

" if you saved all the money spent on private education, and gave that money to your child at the age of 21, would that give your child a better start in life"

answer,

Derek Bok

Indeed, one only has to look at the way professional footballers conduct their private lives to see that money is no substitute for education, and that combining money with an uneducated person can be dangerous.

It really depends where your school is in the UK.

I used to work part-time in an Oxfordshire school, council estate kids, drugs, sex ....... impossible to teach, couldn't recruit or keep teachers.

My local high-school in Thailand has children traveling 30km to attend ....... because it is considered the best in the region.

And no your post didn't upset me, just made me think your grasp on reality is tenuous at best.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

It really depends where your school is in the UK.

I used to work part-time in an Oxfordshire school, council estate kids, drugs, sex ....... impossible to teach, couldn't recruit or keep teachers.

My local high-school in Thailand has children traveling 30km to attend ....... because it is considered the best in the region.

And no your post didn't upset me, just made me think your grasp on reality is tenuous at best.

I have made my view on UK state schools clear. Some are good, some are bad. As I said kids "can" get a good education in a UK for free.

Obviously, one needs to move to an area with a good state school (or a good choice of state schools).

The better state schools in the UK provide their better students with admission to world leading universities.

What percentage of students from your local Thai state school are admitted to Oxbridge or even red-brick equivalent universities?

answer,

Derek Bok

Indeed, one only has to look at the way professional footballers conduct their private lives to see that money is no substitute for education, and that combining money with an uneducated person can be dangerous.

Interesting point...certainly in the case of British football clubs, were they do take on a youngster on with a view to becoming pro's they do put them through schooling to ensure they at least have a basic education, how effective that education is questionable, but think the point is they do recognise and education is important as well.

answer,

Derek Bok

Interesting point...certainly in the case of British football clubs, were they do take on a youngster on with a view to becoming pro's they do put them through schooling to ensure they at least have a basic education, how effective that education is questionable, but think the point is they do recognise and education is important as well.

The value of a child's education is quite (actually very) obvious.

I feel sorry for the children of any parents who can't see this.

I was referring to mjj but I suppose the same applies to you. If you really care so much about your kids I think you could find a way back.

Surely you could get a loan from a friend or family member to get set-up and pay them back once your up and running. Once you are there, your kids could go to a free school and you could get a proper job to pay the bills (and repay the loan).

It seems you just live here because it is easier for you to get girls here.

It would be a pretty big chunk of change just to travel and get settled over there. The cost of living's pretty outrageous (at least 10x my current outgo), and jobs are very scarce other than ones that pay less per hour that I can make now here. Plus who's going to take care of my kids while I'm working?

Plus I just don't have friends with that kind of money, and my mum's not in her right mind these days, sent me $100 for my last birthday and apparently sees its worth as her Depression-era values. Don't want to add to her stresses either she's got enough on her plate with my heroin-addicted sister now entering her umpteenth psychiatric commitment.

And all of my above comments about education were based on the premise "if you make getting a top education a top priority for your kids". I personally don't. With my first family (Australian) we home-schooled the kids until they were 12-13 and they did just fine.

But thanks for your concern. . .

How much better, if at all, is a Thai international school than a state school from the UK? It's just I'm not that convinced at the moment that it is more important than all my other factors.

If it's one of the top (5-8?) schools in the country, my understanding is that they are quite a bit better than the average UK state school, but I realize that's not a very high bar, maybe say between the 60-90 percentiles? Somewhere back in this thread I posted my estimates of various options on a scale of 1-100, would welcome others' feedback but I guess many don't have as much experience teaching in the various school types.

But of course whether a given student is willing and able to take advantage of such quality is the key.

The other (what I call "so-called") international schools here are probably at or below average, some right at the bottom, the only saving grace is some English input if you aren't spending enough time with them to give them that yourself - I've got several NES friends whose kids in effect speak no English at all, they actually speak their very-mangled Thai to them poor kids. . .

I personally think that a loving and competent parent will do much better for their kids by taking the time to home-school them than what they'd get at a school that cost less than hundreds of thousands of baht per year.

And of course the emotional/psychological benefits are at least as important as the intellectual.

But they should have contexts for getting well socialized outside the extended family once they get to say 6-7; that's a whole other topic worthy of its own thread if enough are interested.

I was referring to mjj but I suppose the same applies to you. If you really care so much about your kids I think you could find a way back.

Surely you could get a loan from a friend or family member to get set-up and pay them back once your up and running. Once you are there, your kids could go to a free school and you could get a proper job to pay the bills (and repay the loan).

It seems you just live here because it is easier for you to get girls here.

It would be a pretty big chunk of change just to travel and get settled over there. The cost of living's pretty outrageous (at least 10x my current outgo), and jobs are very scarce other than ones that pay less per hour that I can make now here. Plus who's going to take care of my kids while I'm working?

Plus I just don't have friends with that kind of money, and my mum's not in her right mind these days, sent me $100 for my last birthday and apparently sees its worth as her Depression-era values. Don't want to add to her stresses either she's got enough on her plate with my heroin-addicted sister now entering her umpteenth psychiatric commitment.

And all of my above comments about education were based on the premise "if you make getting a top education a top priority for your kids". I personally don't. With my first family (Australian) we home-schooled the kids until they were 12-13 and they did just fine.

If you went back to the USA, you could just work as a teacher and send your kids to the same school. I find it hard to believe you don't have savings (e.g. for visa extension purposes) or know someone who could lend you money, but I understand the whole idea of moving back might be too much of an ordeal. The saving grace for your children is that you are a teacher so at least they can get some free education from you.

In fact you have raised an important point, which is that for those living on a budget with kids in Thailand, home-schooling is another option to consider, certainly at primary school age. Even for those who cannot do the teaching themselves, surely they could just hire a decent international school teacher for around 100k baht / month and share the cost with a few others who are in a similar position. I think I even saw a thread on this subject a few months ago.

I know that you are (or at least think you are) now stuck in Thailand for the foreseeable future. However, would you agree with my view that for people who have citizenship in Western countries where a good free education is available, bringing kids up in Thailand with limited finances is not a good idea?

that said, no way in hell am i sending my kids to thai public school.

there must be some middle ground in a private thai language school that costs less than 400k baht english school but is higher quality than the government nurseries.

There are the schools that run the EP's (English Programmes), where all the subjects (except religion & culture) are taught in the English language by native speakers.

I have nothing to do with education myself, but these EP's seem to be popular here for the upper middle-class Thais and again, seem to give a good springboard for Uni.

Disclaimer: this is second hand info some of which comes from teachers at said schools.

The OPs original price range is wrong - the top schools in Thailand cost at least 20,000 USD (@600,000 baht ) per year, and that's for a 5 year old.

Of course the top 3-4 private schools in Thailand are much better than 98% of UK state school and certainly give a world class education.

I think this whole thread is understandable- those without money need to justify to themselves that the expensive schools are not worth it in anycase (e.g. by saying state schools in UK are better than top Thai schools etc etc). Those with money point out it is worth it. Bottom line- you pay for the most expensive education you can reasonably afford for your kids.

Oh and Tommo's point about education not being worth it because 1 or 2 famous billionaires with no little eduction happened to become rich is laughable- i just feel sorry for the kids of adults who believe that.

• Like 2

There's a middle ground there somewhere. An awful lot of people stateside have bought into getting the best education you can afford (and even the best education you can't afford; by borrowing up to their eyeballs), and find themselves in dire straits even with the 1st or 2nd tier degree, when perhaps a 3rd tier degree or state education would have been more prudent.

:)

There's a middle ground there somewhere. An awful lot of people stateside have bought into getting the best education you can afford (and even the best education you can't afford; by borrowing up to their eyeballs), and find themselves in dire straits even with the 1st or 2nd tier degree, when perhaps a 3rd tier degree or state education would have been more prudent.

smile.png

Indeed, every family has unique circumstances, which should be considered when choosing schools, and of course some people who went to bad schools end up being more successful than some people who attended good schools. However, a good school generally provides a better education than a bad school, and good schools generally cost more than bad schools (for any given country). Therefore, spending more on your children's education is a wise investment, and parents should not ignore that standards of education vary (quite significantly) by country.

There are the schools that run the EP's (English Programmes), where all the subjects (except religion & culture) are taught in the English language by native speakers.

I have nothing to do with education myself, but these EP's seem to be popular here for the upper middle-class Thais and again, seem to give a good springboard for Uni.

Disclaimer: this is second hand info some of which comes from teachers at said schools.

I work in them myself, and have also worked for many years in the top schools (and yes tuition is well over half a million per year). Usually only a small proportion of the teachers are what we would consider native speakers, more from the Philippines or India, often IMO incomprehensible, and many Thai who are only in theory supposed to be (able to) teach in English.

And the US/Canadian/UK/Aussie teachers are usually paid B35K, only rarely 40-45, and need to be there from 7:30am until sometimes 4 or 5, plus some work on Saturdays. I haven't met one yet that was a qualified teacher back home, usually a BA in anything will suffice, and have seen people squeeze by with less. Some teachers are dedicated, most less so.

Most of the students are really struggling with spoken English even after ten years there, they just don't get enough hours per week with NES and rarely speak themselves except for unison chanting, 30 kids per class you do the math.

Tuition is usually 30-50K per term, so 100+ per year, not counting entrance bribes fees, so IMO very poor value even for the Thais, much less for NES parents. The Thais of course count the high social reputation of the school, aren't qualified to actually judge the quality of the service.

BTW I'm really really keen to have people post specific exceptions here, I know it's a dismal topic from my POV.

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK

If you went back to the USA, you could just work as a teacher and send your kids to the same school. I find it hard to believe you don't have savings (e.g. for visa extension purposes) or know someone who could lend you money, but I understand the whole idea of moving back might be too much of an ordeal. The saving grace for your children is that you are a teacher so at least they can get some free education from you.

It would take a lot of time and money for me to get qualified as a teacher back in the states, I'd be much better off getting back into the ICT side of things where I once earned 200K USD pa plus, most teachers don't even make 60K there.

I have a grand total of B80 to my name at the moment, hope to borrow enough from the mother of my kids when she returns them tonight to get us through the end of the month, especially our B120 food budget and fares to get to work.

I've been on overstay for a long time now.

In fact you have raised an important point, which is that for those living on a budget with kids in Thailand, home-schooling is another option to consider, certainly at primary school age. Even for those who cannot do the teaching themselves, surely they could just hire a decent international school teacher for around 100k baht / month and share the cost with a few others who are in a similar position. I think I even saw a thread on this subject a few months ago.

I would jump on that myself, and for significantly less if the other kids were in the same range as mine (say 4-7).

I know that you are (or at least think you are) now stuck in Thailand for the foreseeable future. However, would you agree with my view that for people who have citizenship in Western countries where a good free education is available, bringing kids up in Thailand with limited finances is not a good idea?

Yes, especially if they value highly the conventional view of a "good education".

Obviously from the comments here many have different POVs and I'm not inclined to put a moral judgment on that.

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK

I work in them myself, and have also worked for many years in the top schools (and yes tuition is well over half a million per year). Usually only a small proportion of the teachers are what we would consider native speakers, more from the Philippines or India, often IMO incomprehensible, and many Thai who are only in theory supposed to be (able to) teach in English.

And the US/Canadian/UK/Aussie teachers are usually paid B35K, only rarely 40-45, and need to be there from 7:30am until sometimes 4 or 5, plus some work on Saturdays. I haven't met one yet that was a qualified teacher back home, usually a BA in anything will suffice, and have seen people squeeze by with less. Some teachers are dedicated, most less so.

Most of the students are really struggling with spoken English even after ten years there, they just don't get enough hours per week with NES and rarely speak themselves except for unison chanting, 30 kids per class you do the math.

Tuition is usually 30-50K per term, so 100+ per year, not counting entrance bribes fees, so IMO very poor value even for the Thais, much less for NES parents. The Thais of course count the high social reputation of the school, aren't qualified to actually judge the quality of the service.

BTW I'm really really keen to have people post specific exceptions here, I know it's a dismal topic from my POV.

I agree the teaching standards for these add-on EPs must be a joke. My in-laws are teachers and introduced me to a headteacher of one of these Thai schools with an EP who offered me a job even though I had no teaching qualifications or experience, just because they wanted to replace their current English teacher because he was old.

...... Therefore, spending more on your children's education is a wise investment, and parents should not ignore that standards of education vary (quite significantly) by country.

Just pointing out most people expect a return on an investment.

Most western educated children only ever take from their parents.

Sacrificing your life, for your children is a particularly western POV.

In Thailand it generally works the other way round.

PS

My step-daughter, who was due to leave school at age 13 until I came on the scene, has already agreed to pay mum and I 10k a month for the rest of our lives in return for a high-school education and help until she finished Uni. Now that is a real ROI.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

It is an interesting question. One that's fortunately still a couple of years off for me, but getting closer.

I think the 400K international schools are mostly a waste of money, unless you're so well off you'll never miss it, or your company is paying. Or both is even better still.

If you're not in that happy position though I think a happy medium is the best answer. I worked in a government school for a spell and they are rubbish. They offer a lousy education, peers with low expectations and limited horizons, and teachers who seem keen to encourage and reinforce that.

I plan on a mixture of local private schools, a couple of years back home and a very solid grounding in English, Maths and general knowledge courtesy of travel, reading and my own efforts.

• Like 1

Interesting question. Fortunately I've still got a couple of years to figure it out.

Unless you're so rich you'll never miss it, or your company is paying for it, then 400,000 a year is pretty expensive. What is useful in top private schools is making friends who have broader horizons, more involved parents and better aspirations. I worked in a government school before and found all of these things to be lacking. As was any sort of a useful education.

My current master plan is a decent local private school, a few years abroad and a solid grounding in maths, English and general knowledge from travel, reading and myself.

...... Therefore, spending more on your children's education is a wise investment, and parents should not ignore that standards of education vary (quite significantly) by country.

Just pointing out most people expect a return on an investment.

Most western educated children only ever take from their parents.

Sacrificing your life, for your children is a particularly western POV.

In Thailand it generally works the other way round.

PS

My step-daughter, who was due to leave school at age 13 until I came on the scene, has already agreed to pay mum and I 10k a month for the rest of our lives in return for a high-school education and help until she finished Uni. Now that is a real ROI.

You may call be a crazy westerner, but I do not expect any financial return from my children.

I just want my children to be healthy and happy.