Ducati 1199 Issues & Concerns

Garry

I'm always interested in the new bikes coming out. Good points, the bad and manufacturer & user issues. So to kick it off a guy has an issue with his 1199S / ABS. This could be a serious due to the fact that the ABS cable is hidden in the front guard and not in plain view like most ABS cables.

If you find anymore issues, post them up. There is one more on the rear mounting link bolt, which I will post later.

FRONT ABS Sensor cable scuffed/worn down by Left Rotor Disc Rivet Plate

Has this happened to any Panigale Owners here? Apparently, while I was cleaning my bike yesterday after Sunday's ride...I noticed that the ABS Sensor cable/wire that is connected and hidden on the left hand side of the Front fender is actually almost worn down to almost half. I can see a white cable and some copper looking colored wires that are exposed from the Actual black cable housing of my front ABS sensor cable.

I noticed that the rivets holding the disc rotors to the aluminum disc carrier is quite shinny. It was actually skimming and touching those rivets as the wheel spun.

Ducati decided to hide the sensor wiring inside the fender instead of exposing it like most ABS equipped bikes...I'm sure this was for aesthetic reasons...but this design location or idea is horrible, as it is too close to the rotor discs and has actually touched spinning parts on the disc.

I had to partly loosen/remove my front fender and tape up the worn out sensor cable. Then I repositioned it in such a way that it will NEVER TOUCH any spinning part of the front wheel...the way it should have been done.

I never removed my front wheel yet..as I have only 2,085kms on my Panigale "S" with ABS. Never did I remove my front fender either...no reason to, until yesterday.

Good news is...my ABS still works normally as the ABS Light turns off when I ride away.

Bad news is...I want the dealer to replace the cable and they dont have that particular part yet.

You guys better check the ABS Sensor Cable that is connected into the left hand side of your front Fender. You can actually look at it from the right hand side of the front wheel with a flashlight...to see things better.

dam_n design or location wiring flaw...:mad:

Miguel

1199 Panigale "S" w/ ABS

Manila, Philippines

Sent from my iPhone 3 using ThaiVisa app

Checkout the Sumet Cycle thread. He posted a big sports bike comparo....inc a Ducati. They are American models, but I don't think they are all that different to other countries models.

Some Ducati 1199 have a less than perfect mounted front-fork cable harness, dealer are warned by Ducati to check this. Still for the cable-harness to touch the brake disc, it is about 1½cm maybe even 2cm.

I would be very surprised if anybody would have the same problem....

Who has a Panigale? Post your pix, I wanna see it!!

In the sports bike comparison the Panigale had a bit of a heat issue. The crazies at Ducati apparently didn't just pretend to make a full on sports / racing bike, they went for it, and as a result day to day usability is somewhat compromised. Doesn't matter though - a supermodel doesn't need to be smart, right? :P

• Like 2

One post from a person, who seems to have lots of problems with his Ducati 1199 Panigale, on the forum from which Garry copied this posting.

So with one complain, worldwide, I think it's a bit early to add this to a pinned “recall” thread... Lets first see how many of the Ducati 1199 Panigale owners will reply with similar problems... I guess ZERO

Edited by Richard-BKK

One post from a person, who seems to have lots of problems with his Ducati 1199 Panigale, on the forum from which Garry copied this posting.

So with one complain, worldwide, I think it's a bit early to add this to a pinned “recall” thread... Lets first see how many of the Ducati 1199 Panigale owners will reply with similar problems... I guess ZERO

My point was to actually 'pin' the thread i started a while back, which is all about genuine recalls. I think pinning such a thread would benifit all of us :)

• Like 1

i think the biggest issue and concern is blowing 1.2 million baht or more to itbiggrin.png

other that that, i do no think so any issues will bother you.

It is a great bike, congrats.

Likewise, my biggest issue is that I can not afford the sexiest bike alive, the Panigale is phenomenal looking. biggrin.png

Been away. Link to the swingarm linkage bolt problem: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/results.cfm?rcl_id=12V270&searchtype=quicksearch&summary=true&refurl=email

Not sure whether it is a user related or a production issue, but there is feedback on front fork seals. This has been on the base models with the new pressurised Marziocchi forks. I'm still out to lunch by what they mean by pressurised. Are they talking in concept of a Bitubo front capsule type deal (ECH29) or something similar to an Ohlins FGR fork (which has an external gas housing), which is not evident on the Panigale Base Marzocchi forks..

http://ducati1199.co...king-forks.html

Edited by Garry

Another issue brought up in the US. The 1199 is capable of having it's rear suspension rate adjustable between F (Flat) & P (Progessive). The rod end link has to be adjusted when the setting is changed. the issue is that some have found galling on the threads, causing binding issues. Sounds like a possible lubrication issue and perhaps owners being heavy handed.

Ducat are planning to add a grommet/s to fairing mount/s, as there seems to be an issue with the new Termi's roasting the fairing/s. I imagine it will help space the fairings slightly away from the pipe surface.

Edited by Garry

Ducat are planning to add a grommet/s to fairing mount/s, as there seems to be an issue with the new Termi's roasting the fairing/s. I imagine it will help space the fairings slightly away from the pipe surface.

Garry, you have seriously worried the Ducati 1199 Panigale owner club in Thailand.... hahaha I bet non of the 5 current owners ever read this forum.

Actually if you search on the world wide web with any search engine for Thai motorcycle forum you not even find this forum in the top ten....

• Like 1

Garry, you have seriously worried the Ducati 1199 Panigale owner club in Thailand.... hahaha I bet non of the 5 current owners ever read this forum.

Actually if you search on the world wide web with any search engine for Thai motorcycle forum you not even find this forum in the top ten....

Doesn't surprise me to be honest smile.png The funny thing is that I really would like to own a 1199S, but in reality I want to focus on doing track days. I reckon the best back for my buck, based off what I would spend on a 1199S, I could have myself a very quick & reliable 2012 ZX10R dedicated track bike with all the go fast, unrestricted goodies added and still fall short of the price of a 1199S

I'll keep my current 999S for highway cruising :D

Edited by Garry

Been away. Link to the swingarm linkage bolt problem: http://www-odi.nhtsa...ue&refurl=email

photo, schematic and the forum I'm a member of's link:

http://ducati1199.co...real-story.html

I'm not allowed to embed the photos, so here are the links.

http://imageshack.us.../641/vis10.jpg/

http://imageshack.us.../image010z.jpg/

Edited by Garry

I would be surprised if the 5 owners actually ride their bikes further than the coffee shop.

sent from my Wellcom A90+

I would be surprised if the 5 owners actually ride their bikes further than the coffee shop.

sent from my Wellcom A90+

LMFAO.!

Some oil leak issues from two bikes so far causing fires. Apparently both bikes had the oil leak start from the LH side of the engine; oil then ran down past the headers and pool in the lower fairing. The photo of the fire was not a header & fairing contact issue, before anyone jumps in.

Note: more than likely a tech / servicing issue

http://ducati1199.com/ducati-1199/1131-very-serious-question.html

Well from the looks of it, my dad helped me out by loading up the bike on the trailer to take it to the dealer, so we had a good hard look at what was going on. Looks like oil was coming from the area where the oil filter was. Our take on what happened... The tech probably didnt screw it on right or didnt seat the ring that is inside it and just a small hole had been leaking oil while under pressure when the engine was actually under power and more pressure than the normal idle or just sitting with the key off, causing it to drip onto the cans and in turn causing the fire. We didnt tear the fairings off, but it seems that there is oil streaks starting around where the oil filter is located and streaking towards the back of the bike. That explains why the tech, after test riding it, put it back on the stands to blow of some oil, probably tightened down the filter some more but didnt have the ring seated all the way in the first place and therefore I had a small leak that I couldnt even see unless I was up to speed. Which I cant look at the bottom of my bike while I am up to speed anyways. This is just a theory. But the evidence is there. I know Ducati is all over this case because my tech has told me I am the first Panigale owner in the world to have a major issue, and the Panigale is Ducati's "Titanic" right now... they're probably watching me sleep at night...

Based upon my bike leaking in the very same spot and having never been serviced, draws me to these types of cautionary posts. There are probably more, just like the hard start. Coincidence maybe but I don't want others to suffer if I am right about this being another very big Ducati issue with this bike.

http://ducati1199.co...your-bikes.html

1293d1341795571-2nd-panigale-burst-into-flames-check-your-bikes-pani-fire-elitesoldier357.jpg

Edited by Garry

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some good advice on the DTC settings.

The DTC system levels are mapped to specific tires, in order to get the most out of it you should have it set to the appropriate level to match your tires or you're just getting a false sense of value from it. Level 1 is for RACE tires, specifically Pirelli SC2 compound race tires. If you're running those tires, put it in Level 1. Raising the TC to a higher level will result in the system virtually never activating because your tires have way more grip that the DTC system is expecting based upon the level you've set it to. Level 2 is for the OEM Supercorsa SP tires for fast track riding. Level 3 is for the OEM Supercorsa SP tires for intermediate track riding. Level 4 is for the OEM Supercorsa SP tires for novice track riding or very aggressive street riding with throttle in 195 HIGH. Level 5 and 6 are for SPORT street riding with the throttle set to 195 LOW, level 7 is for RACING RAIN tires, and Level 8 is for street or track rain riding with OEM tires. I know a common misconception is that the levels are all just progressively offering more TC control as you raise the level, but that's not the case, each level has a specific purpose it was designed for and if you want it to respond consistently then you should use the level that matches your tires and riding conditions.

Edited by Garry

Despite a few recall issues, some a bit serious, it sounds like the Panigale is a fantastic bike.

There's a ride report on advrider and ducati.org that's a must read for any Panigale fan.

Not allowed to post links to other forums here but google this and be prepared for a very entertaining and inspiring story: "Coast to Coast (and back?) with an Italian Supermodel"

Respect!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to Motorcycle Daily dot com. This is shared source, so no copyright issues.

We don’t normally highlight isolated recall efforts, but the Ducati 1199 Panigale continues to be brought to our attention by the NHTSA. Beginning in June with a single recall relating to swingarm linkage, the Panigale experienced five additional recalls in August. Below is a summary of each recall directly quoted from the NHTSA website. If you would like to further research these recalls, here are the campaign id numbers, corresponding to the descriptions below: (1) 12V270000; (2) 12V392000; (3) 12V399000; (4) 12V400000; (5) 12V401000; and (6) 12V402000. If you own an 1199 Panigale, contact your authorized Ducati dealer immediately

#1 – Summary:

DUCATI IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2012 PANIGALE MOTORCYCLES BECAUSE OF AN INCORRECT SCREW USED TO RETAIN THE SWINGARM TO THE REAR SUSPENSION LINKAGE.

Consequence:

IF THE LINKAGE DETACHES FROM THE SWINGARM, CATASTROPHIC SUSPENSION COLLAPSE WOULD OCCUR AND ADVERSELY AFFECT THE ABILITY TO SAFELY HANDLE THE MOTORCYCLE, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

#2 – Summary:

Ducati is recalling certain model year 2012-2013 1199 Panigale motorcycles manufactured from March 16, 2012, through July 12, 2012. The exhaust butterfly valve bowden cable cover could melt or burn due to excess heat of the catalytic converter.

Consequence:

Melting and burning of the bowden cable cover could lead to smoke and/or fire.

#3 – Summary:

Ducati is recalling certain model year 2012-2013 1199 Panigale motorcycles manufactured from March 16, 2012, through July 12, 2012 . Due to an incorrect assembly tolerance, the Uniball bearing on the damper rod eyelet could slip out of its seat on the Ohlins steering damper.

Consequence:

The steering damper can detach from its mounting point which can lead to loss of control of the motorcycle, increasing the risk of a crash.

#4 – Summary:

Ducati is recalling certain model year 2012-2013 1199 Panigale motorcycles manufactured from March 16, 2012, through July 12, 2012. Screws that secure the steering damper to the steering head could fall out due to an insufficient amount of Loctite applied to the threads.

Consequence:

The steering damper can detach from the steering head which can lead to loss of control of the motorcycle, increasing the risk of a crash.

#5 – Summary:

Ducati is recalling certain model year 2012-2013 1199 Panigale motorcycles manufactured from March 16, 2012, through July 12, 2012. The right and left swingarm shaft pivots can loosen.

(Gary) This has already happened to a guy in the states. The LH fairing was the only thing that stopped it coming out any futher than an inch or so. Very very lucky indeed.

Consequence:

The swingarm shaft pivots can loosen from the swingarm which can lead to loss of control of the motorcycle, increasing the risk of personal injury.

#6 – Summary:

Ducati is recalling certain model year 2012-2013 1199 Panigale motorcycles manufactured from March 16, 2012, through July 12, 2012. The front brake master cylinder reservoir hose might interfere with the threading end of the reservoir retaining screw.

Consequence:

The front brake master cylinder reservoir hose might interfere with the threading end of the reservoir of the retaining screw causing damage to the hose, which could lead to a front brake system failure, increasing the risk of a crash

Edited by Garry

Despite a few recall issues, some a bit serious, it sounds like the Panigale is a fantastic bike.

There's a ride report on advrider and ducati.org that's a must read for any Panigale fan.

Not allowed to post links to other forums here but google this and be prepared for a very entertaining and inspiring story: "Coast to Coast (and back?) with an Italian Supermodel"

Respect!

Gotta thank you for this link

Excellent read & I am not even half way through it.