What To Do With Foreign Cheque

I just got a check for a few hundred dollars from a US bank. I tried to deposit it in my savings account at UOB today and was told it would cost $30 and take a month. :o

Does anyone know of any better options?I have an account at Bangkok Bank too, but I can't see them being any better.

TIA

If in business, never accept checks from customers - the waiting time and the high fees charged for clearing checks from other banks do not make for an effective system.

I really dont know why some people, mostly in the US it seems, persist with that silly system - nostalgia, ignorance or laziness?

Demand wire transfer payment, or if you can set it up somehow (Thai accounts and users are unfortunately still restricted), use PayPal.

MoneyGram is another service which is rather quick, cheaper than wire transfer and not too difficult for the customer to use.

I was in a similar situation when I was in BKK a few months back. Bangkok Bank told me it would take a month to clear my aussie cheque. I mailed the cheque back to Australia to a friend, who then deposited the cheque to my account at my bank. I accessed the cash later using my debit card.

I just got a check for a few hundred dollars from a US bank. I tried to deposit it in my savings account at UOB today and was told it would cost $30 and take a month. :o

Does anyone know of any better options?I have an account at Bangkok Bank too, but I can't see them being any better.

TIA

I was in a similar situation when I was in BKK a few months back. Bangkok Bank told me it would take a month to clear my aussie cheque. I mailed the cheque back to Australia to a friend, who then deposited the cheque to my account at my bank. I accessed the cash later using my debit card.

TIA

I learned my lesson last year having to wait a bit over a month to have a check cleared, now anytime I get a check I do the same as brownsugar.