Retirement Visa To A Work Permit

sk1max

I came here a number of years ago on an O visa, when I reached 50 I went to a 'retirement' visa. If I want to work and get a work permit, job is already waiting for me, do I need to leave the country and get a new visa. My last O visa was in 2008 and my current retirement visa ( permit to stay) is based on that.

Anyone have a definitive answer? Thanks in advance guys.

I have had a similar experience. Started non immigrant (O) , then retirement extensions, later on no problem getting a work permit and changing to extensions based on working/married to a Thai without leaving the country. But you need to advise Immigration and Labour Office of your intentions to save any problems later on.

// for the sake of clarification. I am married to a Thai national. Can't say if the same for others ...

Can you hold a Non imm '0' and a work permit or does it have to be 'B'? Apparently its very difficult to get a non imm B in SEA. Chiang Mai's labour department are always very helpful (unlike immigration), so I guess the first thing to do would be to talk to them. (this thread is now Chiang Mai related)

Can you hold a Non imm '0' and a work permit or does it have to be 'B'?

I'm on a non-imm O and have a work permit so it is definitely possible. For the OP, maybe your best course of action would be to go to CM City Hall and ask to speak with k. Ruchuchai Potha who is head of promoting employment in the work permit department. He speaks reasonable English but best to take a local too if your Thai is a bit shaky.

Cheers,

Pikey.