What Is There To Do In Vientiene, Laos?

phuturatica

I'm off to Vientiene for a long weekend so I can have some major chill out time. Does anyone have any recommendations on things to do? I'm on my own, armed with a book, iPod and headphones but I'd like check out the city more. I went there once before and didn't see much...

Any ideas?

Bor Pen Ynang bar is fun, lots of girls there, I heard rumors that Lunar disco at Don Chan palace is under new ownership and may not be afterhours spot anymore but don't know for sure, Galaxy and khop chai dou bars have live music, Samlo bar is a sports bar/ pickup bar, disco and 2 or 3 other bars behind the novotel hotel, meena disco is fun, sornedeth club is gay bar, lots of good restaurants

Bor Pen Ynang bar is fun, lots of girls there, I heard rumors that Lunar disco at Don Chan palace is under new ownership and may not be afterhours spot anymore but don't know for sure, Galaxy and khop chai dou bars have live music, Samlo bar is a sports bar/ pickup bar, disco and 2 or 3 other bars behind the novotel hotel, meena disco is fun, sornedeth club is gay bar, lots of good restaurants

Being female and all, I'm not interested in picking up girls or gogo bars. So I shall be avoiding them places. tongue.png

LOL

Hi, besides the restaurants and temples and of course the beautiful arch which is well worth seeing (and is lit up beautifully at night), there's a bit of an unusual attraction....I rented a motorbike and went to this one and found it strangely fascinating. Here's the information:

Buddha Park (Xieng Khuan) is a bizarre outdoor collection of huge concrete sculptures of Buddhist and Hindu deities and real and imaginary beasts. The reclining Buddha is especially impressive. Built in 1958 by mystic Luang Pu Bunleua Sulilat, who left the country after the communist take-over and, in 1978, went on to establish a nearly identical park (Sala Keoku or Sala Kaew Ku) across the river in Nong Khai, Thailand. Located some 24 km from the city, it's about 6 km to the east of the Friendship Bridge -

hope you enjoy your adventure,

seeker

• Like 1

Hi, besides the restaurants and temples and of course the beautiful arch which is well worth seeing (and is lit up beautifully at night), there's a bit of an unusual attraction....I rented a motorbike and went to this one and found it strangely fascinating. Here's the information:

Buddha Park (Xieng Khuan) is a bizarre outdoor collection of huge concrete sculptures of Buddhist and Hindu deities and real and imaginary beasts. The reclining Buddha is especially impressive. Built in 1958 by mystic Luang Pu Bunleua Sulilat, who left the country after the communist take-over and, in 1978, went on to establish a nearly identical park (Sala Keoku or Sala Kaew Ku) across the river in Nong Khai, Thailand. Located some 24 km from the city, it's about 6 km to the east of the Friendship Bridge -

hope you enjoy your adventure,

seeker

Rent a bike/notorbike drive along the mekong going west, up to 10km just gets better, villages and wats, don't be afraid of road construction in the middle. A few restaurantants alongthe mekong, higher standard @ Mekong Breeze, hotel restaurant with Mekong Patio in Ban Kao Liao, about 13km (you'll have to get off the mekong for a couple cliks but just ask everybody knows the place)

C.

PS: DonChan is close permanently

I am back from Vientiane. Thanks for all the suggestions. It was a very nice relaxing time. I mainly walked around, ate food and relaxed by the pool in my hotel. There isn't much happening considering it's the capital of Laos however it was still nice nonetheless. :)