Grass Seed Farming And Grass Farming

I was in Nong Sung District in Mukdahan province last month. There I was talking to some farmers and they grow grass seed. Cassava growing is not for us because the prices fluctuate too much and the costs are too high they said. With rubber, the time interval is too long. We like grass seed farming they said because the prices are guaranteed and we make a net profit of more than 10,000 baht/rai. We grow one main wet season seed crop and in the dry season grow a grass seed crop for a market in Japan. I asked how many farmers were growing grass seed in their area. At least 350 farmers they said and the company wants more growers. The company supplies fertiliser and buys the seed with cash in the village on the day of purchase. No transport costs for the farmers.

Sounded a good operation to me. Clean and green.

On the way home I passed through Yasothon and saw fresh grass for sale by the side of the road. I stopped and had a chat to the sellers. They said they had been growing fresh grass for sale for at least 10 years. Better than rice, better than cassava. Everything seems to be better than cassava.

I wonder why more farmers are not into growing grass seed and fresh grass for daily sale?

• 5 weeks later...

I have made some enquiries which have produced some good and interesting info.

Below is the first email I had back.

Dear Steve,

We manage and run an international forage seed business from the Faculty of Agriculture, Ubon Ratchathani University through a Mexican Seed Company Tropical Seeds. You contacted Tropical Seeds on their website.

This year we have contracted 502 farmers in Mukdahan province, 108 farmers in Roi-et province, 23 farmers in Amnart Charoen province, 30 farmers in Ubon Ratchathani province and 634 farmers in northern Lao to hopefully produce over 200,000 kg of high quality forage seeds of six species.

This year we have exported seeds to China, Vietnam, Lao, Cambodia, Malaysia, Vanuatu, New Caledonia, Papua New Guinea, Kenya, Ethiopia, Congo, Uganda, Guatemala and Mexico.

We are expanding all the time and always looking for more good farmer growers in Thailand.

We have not had any production from Chaiyaphum though I did work in that province in the 1970s.

All of our species grow well on land that has grown cassava. However, wet soils that water-log are not suitable. Well drained upland soils are the best.

This year is too late to grow a seed crop.

We have full quotas for 4 of our species but our two biggest species by sales volume, Mulato II and Mombasa, can expand.

They are perennials.

If you are thinking about trying grass seed production there are risks. No risk of prices as they are fixed and guaranteed. But risks from weather, particularly during flowering and seed set in October-November, when strong winds or heavy thunderstorms can knock seed out before harvest. There are no insect pests or diseases in our crops. No spraying is necessary. Only fertiliser needs to be applied but far less than the amounts applied to cassava.

I will attach a few photos of the production cycle.

1 nurseries are planted in May-June. We give out free seed.

2 In late June-July, the seedlings with strong roots are transplanted to the seed fields and planted in rows 1 m apart and 50 cm down the row. There are variations on planting density but no need to discuss these details yet.

3 Weed

4 At anthesis in early October (mombasa guinea) tie the seed heads together. As soon as the seed starts to shed, knock the seed out of the seedheads into large trays. This must be done every day. No time to waste here. Harvesting is all over in 10-14 days.

5 Each day dry the seed inside in the shade. After 4-5 days slow drying the seed can be sun-dried for another 3-4 days.

6 Then clean the seed. We provide free seed cleaners to large farmer groups but not to just one farmer.

7 When the seed is dry and clean we come to the village to buy with cash your seed, Usually in Nov-Dec.

With Mulato II our seed growers prefer to let the seed fall to the ground. This is because Mulato II seed harvesting occurs at the same time as rice harvesting. After rice harvest, the farmers cut the vegetation back and sweep the seed from the ground. No big hurry as usually no rain falls in Dec-Feb. We buy clean Mulato II seed in February.

Thank you for your interest.

Be free to contact me any time or come and visit us in Ubon to see seed crops for yourself.

Kind regards,

Michael

Michael D Hare,

Professor,

Ubon Forage Seeds,

Faculty of Agriculture,

Ubon Ratchathani University,

Thailand 34190.

I then enquired about the economics of it and got this back

Dear Steve,

I am not familiar with Thai visa forum but I have no problems with publication of our work and contact details in Ubon.

We are always trying to sell more seed and get increased production.

For me, being an academic, this venture into commercial seed production has proven challenging. Since my wife of 28 years died 5 years ago, new doors have opened for me.

I am a NZer but fully committed to continuing to work in northeast Thailand forever. Fortunately I am a permanent residence and so do not have to worry about visas and 3 month reporting in.

On to the economics of grass seed production.

I will just present details on Mulato II and Mombasa as these are the two major species that we need more seed from.

1 Mulato II Last year yields were down on previous years due to the continual overcast and wet days during flowering in Oct-Nov. The average yield was 53 kg/rai from 205 rai by 58 farmers. They were paid 180 baht/kg, which comes to 9540 baht/rai. In 2010 the average yield was 80 kg/rai giving a gross income of 14,400 baht/rai. costs (fertiliser, labour etc) are about 2,800 baht/rai.

2 Mombasa guinea Last year yields were also down for the same reasons. The average yield was 50 kg/rai from 427 rai by 166 farmers. They were paid 100 baht/kg giving them 5,000 baht/rai gross. In 2010, the average yield was 80 kg/rai; 8,000 baht/rai. Costs are about the same for Mulato II being 2,800 baht/rai.

These are average yields across all our seed growers. The good farmers produce over 100 kg/rai from both species.

The Mukdahan and Roi-et farmers do not like cassava. With the Mukdahan farmes, another factor is that most of their farm areas are up hills and down valleys and access to get cassava out is too difficult.

We sign new season contracts every March and distribute seed for nurseries. We are a hands-on operation with 6 week visits to the villages to check on progress and advise farmers on any problems. We try to inspect as many fields as possible before harvest.

Grass seed production is not for absentee farmers nor for farmers that like to hire labour. It is best suited to a family operation.

I could say a lot more but this may be enough to go on at the moment.

This afternoon we are sending 4,000 kg to Hainan and orders have just come in for 300 kg to PNG and 750 kg to Kenya.

It is also great to have a agricultural business going that it not interfered with by the government, unlike rice (read today's Bangkok Post) and cassava.

One last point. Mombasa and Mulato II are perennials. After seed harvest, graze or cut the stalky vegetation down and you will get good fresh grass during the dry season. You can fed your own cattle or sell fresh grass to other farmers if there is a fresh grass market like in other areas in northeast Thailand.

Thank you for your interest.

Kind regards,

Michael

This is not going to be for me (being a lazy absentee farmer smile.png ) but the OP or others may want to look at it further.

If you want Michael,s contact details PM me

Thanks for starting this, it is new to me, but now I am going to look into it.

Please update us on your experiences.

I won't be involved directly so best to contact Michael for further info. It is something I would be very keen to try out if I was in the right place and spent more time farming. By all accounts it is very profitable for the farmers.

I had asked for a little more detail about the need to replant as they are perennials and I copy his reply below.

Dear Steve,

Thank you for posting on Thai visa. I always thought Thai visa was about visas, and as I do not require any, have never bothered to click into it. Maybe I should.

I can not get the farmers to keep their crops for 2-3 years, They say that in the second and subsequent years seed yields drop dramatically.

This is probably due to their very poor post-harvest management. They let the stubbles rot over the dry season and then try to get some green growth back in May-June. I did my PhD on seed crop post management. But I can't get the farmers to keep the crops in the ground.

Okay, up to them. If they want to cultivate and plant every year so be it. Doesn't seem to bother them. But I wouldn't do it.

In Brazil, second and third year crops yield better than first year crops.

Yes, seeds do germinate between the rows but inter-row cultivation removes these seedlings.

Kind regards,

Michael

From reading the above I now know that this grass seed business is being run by a Kiwi. A Kiwi! Why not an Australian? Still good to know that a Kiwi is contributing to long-term productively for selected village farmers in northeast Thailand.

I would like to know if you can let cows graze it during the cool season, and then still get the next crop by leaving it alone in the growing season.

I personally don't know but if you want to investigate further I have MIchaels contact details and he is OK about me passing them onto interested parties. He is very approachable and an expert in this field so just PM me for them and talk direct would be best.

From reading the above I now know that this grass seed business is being run by a Kiwi. A Kiwi! Why not an Australian? Still good to know that a Kiwi is contributing to long-term productively for selected village farmers in northeast Thailand.

Why an Australian? Why not a Thai?

This is quite interesting as I have been trying to find grass seed in Thailand for nearly two years now only to be told that it is not available and if I wish to have a lawn I must purchase turf (!) now at Bt52/sq.m.

Given that I had no wish to pay many, many thousands of Baht for "threadbare" turf I have finally managed to import some seed from the US which I believe will grow successfully in Thailand.

If only I could have found where to buy seed in Thailand earlier it would have made things so much easier.

Edited by stoutfella

This is quite interesting as I have been trying to find grass seed in Thailand for nearly two years now only to be told that it is not available and if I wish to have a lawn I must purchase turf (!) now at Bt52/sq.m.

Given that I had no wish to pay many, many thousands of Baht for "threadbare" turf I have finally managed to import some seed from the US which I believe will grow successfully in Thailand.

If only I could have found where to buy seed in Thailand earlier it would have made things so much easier.

Actually the grass seed being discussed earlier in this thread is for growing grass to feed livestock, not for lawns. I think the grass seed that DP used to grow his 500 baht lawn was imported by him, not purchased here in Thailand. So I don't thiunk you have missed out on anything. The turf at 52 baht sounds very expensive! I thought it was usually around half that price?

Very hard to get turf under 40b a meter now, still blaming the floods form a year ago. Maybe they can blame the turf ghost, more realistic. cheesy.gif

I have to agree with you.It's behind imagination how greedy people can get in this country.

Luckily they erected that government commision last year to prevent consumers getting overcharged by dishonest suppliers who take advantage of the floods. ( wher's that <deleted> sarcasm emoticon).

A month ago the Malaysia grass was 35 Baht in my area,down from almost 100 baht earlier this year due to the floods.Now it has gonne up to 45 Baht again.

Are they now already charging for the floods that may come in the future?