Subforum. Anyone Interested In Hydroponics, Aquaponics Or Aquaculture?

Scoop1

A bit late and hurry, but I'm interested to a subforum too. I run an hydroponic bank to grow rocket for my restaurant ;-)

Thats great anguid, tell us a little about your system, do you make your own nutrients, are you using an open or closed system

Cheers

scoop

Now I'm traveling, so not so much time, just a picture of my self-made close system:

156789_1797960271984_6683043_n.jpg

196159_1929982972469_4601032_n.jpg

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks good angiud, very healthy , are you using pre made nutrients or making your own? What EC and PH are you running?

Scoop

Edited by Scoop1

Hello All, the main micro mix in the B is : Mgo 7.29%, Fe 1.90, Mn 1.94%, Cu 2.08%,

Zn 1.90%, B 2.17%, Mo .0024%.

The A micro is: Fe 7%.

rice555

Hi Rice , thank you for that , what is the dilution rate they say to use, i want to put the ruler over it so if any one wants to make there own nutrient its known what the ppm of the individual micros is in the nutrient solution, and do you know what their Hobby Set consists of in regards to the macros, Mgo??????

Thanks

Scoop

This thread is getting a bit disjointed now

Some are talking aquaponics, and some are talking hydronics in the same thread. I can see this getting really messy, lol !!!!

Perhaps its time a decision was made whether or not we get sub forums for each?

Penkoprod

Disjointed. Two topics is hardly confusing (not to me anyway). Sounds like fish-poo.

By mixing posts on Hydro and aquaponics in the same thread it allows the reader to gain an insight to both methods.

This thread is getting a bit disjointed now

Some are talking aquaponics, and some are talking hydronics in the same thread. I can see this getting really messy, lol !!!!

Perhaps its time a decision was made whether or not we get sub forums for each?

Penkoprod

Disjointed. Two topics is hardly confusing (not to me anyway). Sounds like fish-poo.

By mixing posts on Hydro and aquaponics in the same thread it allows the reader to gain an insight to both methods.

Well thats one way of looking at it.

But theres already some confusion in the thread, where people are having to ask which procedure people are asking info about, before they can give that answer. If fact, they may not have the answer if its the procedure that he knows little about........if you get what i mean

And it seems to be heading in the direction of a pissing contest as per usual in a forum

A bit like football supporters ragging on the other team (or procedure)

There seems to be some interest in both topics, and, as such both might be better served with their own topic/sub forum?

Or just the one sub forum for both, where each header could indicate whether it was hydro or aquaponics being discussed in the thread.

We await the verdict !!!!!

Penkoprod

question , where can you buy the aggregate for the beds ? anyone had experience with a particular type and size ?

Cheers

Look in your local garden center for pea gravel and get a small sample to show to your builders merchant.who should be able to get for you a bit cheaper. You should aim for 5-7mm. The clay balls are very expensive in Thailand and are quite elusive.

two choices: i can change the name of this thread, and u all can keep giving info; or

one of u open a new more specific thread: something along the lines of pigs 101, maybe fish poo 101 and the other thing 101... ; i cant separate this thread and repost... it screws up the google index whatever it is thingy.... but i also cant differentiate between both subjects, so...

which is it? change name, or someone start new thread... and if someone can verify the info in the old pinned thread? or i can close it and someone can start a new improved version, but in the main farm forum, not in organics...

just let me know and i will do it

bina

Thanks Bina, Rice555 has opened an old Hydroponics Thread and i have re posted my information on that thread, i dont know what to do,posters are asking questions and i dont know what method they what to know about , but i understand that some like to have it all on the one thread, may be they could put a header on their posts so we know which method they are asking about. UP TO YOU!!

Cheers

Scoop

Hydroponics

There are many ways of growing fresh produce hydroponically, but i think to start with it is best to try and keep it simple for those who have had little or no experience and build up from there, i know this may make boring reading for the more advanced growers but i think it is necessary, as regards to what is needed, i think most people will have something lying around the house or farm that will do just nicely, hydroponics can be as simple or as scientific as you want to make it, its not always lots of pipes and pumps , the most simple and idiot proof way is a simple plant pot or bucket { Plastic } with drainage holes the pot can be filled with an inert substance such as coir { Coco Peat } although coir is not totally inert it is used widely in commercial hydroponic production and normally has an EC { Nutrient Strength }of less than EC .3 and this is fine for hydroponics , after you have potted the plant its time to feed it some nutrients and any excess will just run out of the bottom of the pot, so you really cant drown your plant, that is the simplest way, very very basic which is called "Run To Waste" or an "Open System". As for the nutrients! this is where the decision making begins , if you buy pre-made then you have to totally rely on a manufacturer for your nutrient needs, which can get expensive if using a lot and also you dont know exactly what is in the nutrients and at what amounts , that are in the bottles, and there have been manufacturers sued because what was written on the bottle was not what was in the bottle, and if you have to buy nutrients, in Australia it can cost up to $180 for 4ltrs of Part A and Part B ,and its only worth about $5 to make yourself , i personally think that anyone wanting to grow hydroponically should learn how to make there own and then they are in total control, which is what hydroponics is about, total control over the growing environment. For people just starting out with, lets say, 6 pots with Pak Choy it probably be better to buy pre made to start with and see how you go , making your own is not that hard, you just need to learn a few calculations and have a good set of digital kitchen scales

Hope this helps a someone

Scoop

ok so how do we make the feed ? very good post by the way thanks

Hi cdmtdm, did you understand my post about the hydroponic nutrients, post 60

Cheers

scoop

Edited by Scoop1

Hydroponics

There are many ways of growing fresh produce hydroponically, but i think to start with it is best to try and keep it simple for those who have had little or no experience and build up from there, i know this may make boring reading for the more advanced growers but i think it is necessary, as regards to what is needed, i think most people will have something lying around the house or farm that will do just nicely, hydroponics can be as simple or as scientific as you want to make it, its not always lots of pipes and pumps , the most simple and idiot proof way is a simple plant pot or bucket { Plastic } with drainage holes the pot can be filled with an inert substance such as coir { Coco Peat } although coir is not totally inert it is used widely in commercial hydroponic production and normally has an EC { Nutrient Strength }of less than EC .3 and this is fine for hydroponics , after you have potted the plant its time to feed it some nutrients and any excess will just run out of the bottom of the pot, so you really cant drown your plant, that is the simplest way, very very basic which is called "Run To Waste" or an "Open System". As for the nutrients! this is where the decision making begins , if you buy pre-made then you have to totally rely on a manufacturer for your nutrient needs, which can get expensive if using a lot and also you dont know exactly what is in the nutrients and at what amounts , that are in the bottles, and there have been manufacturers sued because what was written on the bottle was not what was in the bottle, and if you have to buy nutrients, in Australia it can cost up to $180 for 4ltrs of Part A and Part B ,and its only worth about $5 to make yourself , i personally think that anyone wanting to grow hydroponically should learn how to make there own and then they are in total control, which is what hydroponics is about, total control over the growing environment. For people just starting out with, lets say, 6 pots with Pak Choy it probably be better to buy pre made to start with and see how you go , making your own is not that hard, you just need to learn a few calculations and have a good set of digital kitchen scales

Hope this helps a someone

Scoop

ok so how do we make the feed ? very good post by the way thanks

Hi cdmtdm, did you understand my post about the hydroponic nutrients, post 60

Cheers

scoop

Hey Scoop , i read it and understand the basics , once i get to that point and begin to make my own it will ( i hope) become clearer ... your switched on guy thanks for sharing

Cheers Chris

question , where can you buy the aggregate for the beds ? anyone had experience with a particular type and size ?

Cheers

Look in your local garden center for pea gravel and get a small sample to show to your builders merchant.who should be able to get for you a bit cheaper. You should aim for 5-7mm. The clay balls are very expensive in Thailand and are quite elusive.

cheers and an alternative ? perhaps i will go and see what i can find in that type of category and report back with a few pics ... we have to use what is available here in LOS ....

Thanks Bina, Rice555 has opened an old Hydroponics Thread and i have re posted my information on that thread, i dont know what to do,posters are asking questions and i dont know what method they what to know about , but i understand that some like to have it all on the one thread, may be they could put a header on their posts so we know which method they are asking about. UP TO YOU!!

Cheers

Scoop

Thats what i keep saying...people dont know how to answer, because the asker doesnt specify which "ponic" he is relating to. I can imagine it would get even more confusing to a newbie seeking info for the method he is researching.

I can also understand people wishing to share info on both methods, instead of either, so maybe a solution would be to pin the hydroponic thread in the same way the long forgotten aquaponic one was? That, or pin this one the same place, renaming it to "hydroponics"? That way they wouldnt be too far from each other, and people can dip in and out of each, knowing what method the content is for.

That is until we hear whether or not there will be 2 (or one?) new subforum created.

Penkoprod

• Like 1

Cheers

cheers and an alternative ? perhaps i will go and see what i can find in that type of category and report back with a few pics ... we have to use what is available here in LOS ....

AQUAPONICS

Gravel from the nearest river? Riddled and washed. Hard work but the Mrs might do it for you.

Edited by grimleybob

Cheers

AQUAPONICS

Gravel from the nearest river? Riddled and washed. Hard work but the Mrs might do it for you.

will find something, if all else fails its the river lol ... i want to source everything first prior to starting . should be fun ...cheers

Hello All, the main micro mix in the B is : Mgo 7.29%, Fe 1.90, Mn 1.94%, Cu 2.08%,

Zn 1.90%, B 2.17%, Mo .0024%.

The A micro is: Fe 7%.

rice555

Thanks Rice. what is the dilution rate ??

Hello All, Scoop1, the A. is 20 grams in 5 Lt. and the B. is 60 grams in 5 Lt.

from the basic WESCO for toms/chilies.

rice555

Do you have any info on yields per sq M for chillies and the number of days for the growing cycle/crop rotation. Yields for other crops would also be interesting as a comparison to other growth methods.

Bob

Hello GB, I really don't have any figures per Sq M.

Do you want info on what chili? I only grow Mex &

NuMex chilies. It also makes a huge difference if

the plants are OP-Hyb. and the weather(heat/rain)

and my plants are unprotected from the weather.

The Jal pic. is 6"X6" bags next to each other, they

would do better with 18" spacing. These were T/P

3 weeks too late for good plant/fruit development

so not so many fruit. This verity has a concentrated

first set, then it continues to produce.

This pic is when my serranos were cooking, and

what I can get now in the rain and only feeding once

a day if it's not raining. Soon to be replaced.

rice555

post-37242-0-58757100-1342123976_thumb.j

post-37242-0-70804200-1342124001_thumb.j

post-37242-0-47499000-1342124030_thumb.j

post-37242-0-12582400-1342124067_thumb.j

Hi Rice, and GB, thank you for the info, how about we all keep the Hydro thread alive by posting these things on there, and keep all the information on the one thread what do you think?

Cheers

Scoop

• 7 months later...

If anyone would like to see a sub-forum for above subjects please post here so we gauge support.

Hey Crossy, is it possible to get a dedicated subforum on Hydroponics or not, i was hoping that something may have developed by now regarding this subject

Cheers

Scoop1

If anyone would like to see a sub-forum for above subjects please post here so we gauge support.

Hey Crossy, is it possible to get a dedicated subforum on Hydroponics or not, i was hoping that something may have developed by now regarding this subject

Cheers

Scoop1

Or a "Pinned Topic" would be even better and easier to use

If there is to be a new pinned topic, I’d push to make room for it by unpinning the useless “New: Farming Weather In Thailand” pinned topic.

Rgds

Khonwan

Thanks Khonwan,i hope moderators see it the same way, i did ask previously but i had no joy, i personally think it is a good idea, there is about 14 Pinned Organic threads, i thought 1 Pinned Hydroponic thread would be a simple procedure, but thats only my opinion

Cheers

If there is to be a new pinned topic, I’d push to make room for it by unpinning the useless “New: Farming Weather In Thailand” pinned topic.

Rgds

Khonwan

Thanks Khonwan,i hope moderators see it the same way, i did ask previously but i had no joy, i personally think it is a good idea, there is about 14 Pinned Organic threads, i thought 1 Pinned Hydroponic thread would be a simple procedure, but thats only my opinion

Cheers

The more info on aquaponics and or hydroponics the better. My main interest is aquaponics but I'm always looking for info on any veggie cultivation methods.

Hey Grimley, how is the garden looking, have you tried to grow any vegetables in Hydropnics, you did ask me about "single truss cropping" for tomatoes, i did post some results, but i made a mistake, it was 8 weeks not 10 weeks to harvest.

Cheers

Scoop

Edited by Scoop1

Hey Grimley, how is the garden looking, have you tried to grow any vegetables in Hydropnics, you did ask me about "single truss cropping" for tomatoes, i did post some results, but i made a mistake, it was 8 weeks not 10 weeks to harvest.

Cheers

Scoop

I wont be in a position to start until my property is sold in the UK.

I was very interested in your results because it fits in with my ideas for "intensive" crops.

We will start with a total of 400 sq M of beds(8 x 25m x 2m).These will be fed by 4 fish tanks holding 64,000 liitres.

Have you grown Chillies? There is a place here in UK that are growing Thai Chillies intensively and getting between 2 to3 kilo's per plant

Keep in touch

Bob